MPEG-2 decoding. Seems AMD might not be so hot right now. Am I right?

Rock&Roll

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I just got done doing a modest build for my Brother's family. I used a GA-MA78G-S2H mobo, which has the 780G chipset (HD3200 on board video, set to 256MB vram in bios)

After setting up the system, I decided to play a DVD video back (There Will Be Blood) at 1920x1200 pixels in VLC media player.

I noticed a whole lot of video MPEG artifacts (No, not the harmful kind like you get from overclocking and running 3d video games). Around anything that moved, there was the halo of things that didn't get decompressed right, and ended up looking goofy and distracting. I was using a DVI connection to my 24" monitor.

Tried same media in my main rig, the old-school 8800GTS 640MB, same 24" monitor as with the other rig. No artifacting could be noticed.

Now, just two years ago with my x1900, I don't rememeber ATI's MPEG2 decoding being this bad. Has something changed? Or is this just something that happens with the 780G integrated video? If the 780G share's any ties with R600, I could see where there would maybe be an issue that has (hopefully) been resolved in RV770/R700.

How about you 4870 owners, who have 1920x1200 displays? Any distracting artifact for you, when running DVD video above the video's recorded resolution?

maybe driver issues?

running a 4870 here and DVD HD DVD and Blueray all look stunning

Sounds like a driver issue or a faulty IGP

The thing works fine with my ATI 3400 on my HTPC which has more in common with the 780G than any RV700 does

Back