MPAA Says Piracy Damages Can’t Be Measured

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's funny, the MPAA always seems to be able to quote exact numbers when it's convenient for them. Now all the sudden "damages can't be measured." :rolleyes:

“To permit consideration of actual damages under these circumstances would be perverse – and particularly unfair – given that Plaintiffs elected statutory damages precisely because their actual damages are not capable of meaningful measurement,” the MPAA’s legal team writes.

Nothing like "unlimited liability" to allow the copyright creeps to go as far as they want in enforcing their will.

"Numbers are irrelevant. This is a MORAL issue. You downloaded a Black Eyed Peas song? SPAWN OF BAALZEBUB! I SHALL CAST THEE INTO PERDITION!"

actually i can directly measure the "damages" incurred by the TV industry as they do things nowadays..

the complete loss of my monthly subscription to any cable or satellite TV service

;>)

maybe they're saying they're immeasurable in the same way someone says "I can't put a price on it, it's priceless" meaning they're wanting to remove any sort of lawsuit limits :D

maybe they're saying they're immeasurable in the same way someone says "I can't put a price on it, it's priceless" meaning they're wanting to remove any sort of lawsuit limits :D

More likely it's immeasurable, because the effect is to small to measure.

"their actual damages are not capable of meaningful measurement"

So a value of zero is just as valid as any number they choose to cherry pick from one of privately funded reports.

This is the same business that can make $1 billion in profits but book those profits in a way that there is no perceivable net profit so that they don't have to pay the points on their profits out to the creative talent. They also like to claim that they've had a "record setting season at the box office" at one podium only to turn to the one next to it and claim "piracy is destroying our business!"

This is the same business that can make $1 billion in profits but book those profits in a way that there is no perceivable net profit so that they don't have to pay the points on their profits out to the creative talent. They also like to claim that they've had a "record setting season at the box office" at one podium only to turn to the one next to it and claim "piracy is destroying our business!"

I figure they basically think of Movie Theater ticket sales and Home Video sales as separate businesses for the most part. The Movie Theater business seems to be doing quite well in part by adapting and embracing popular options such as 3D and IMAX screens, etc.

When it comes to home movie sales, people are probably tired of buying overpriced movies on a thin plastic disc the same way they are tired of buying overpriced music on a thin plastic disc. Move beyond the 1990's distribution model and that might solve the problem. To the extent that movie companies already work with services like Netflix, etc, I'd bet that the MPAA keeps those statistics separate and/or doesn't even count those the same as a traditional sale.

I'm pretty sure not even the music industry pays attention to these kooks even though they're "looking out" for their interests. Seems like they just spout some bullshit to stay in the media every few months.

You been to a movie theater as of late?
It sucks.
The prices are through the roof, the theaters are understaffed, everything is dirty, cellphones are ringing and making typing noises through the whole movie and some assholes are talking or screaming directions at the people on the screen.
Yup, I want to spend my money on that!
Give me an option to watch it at home via stream in 1080p and I'll be happy to spend $15 - $20 if I don't have to go to one of those holes to see it.

Another thing is there are a lot of god awful movies out there.
If you're going to bitch because Honey and The Hurt Locker didn't do well, its because they're shitty films, not because people chose to pirate. People go to movie review sites on the internet instead of running to a theater before they waste their hard earned money or the trash the MPAA calls entertainment. The fledgling days of sitting through Open waters praying to god for the f#cking sharks to come and eat the couple so the movie can be over are done.
And really, how often do you hear nothing about a movie? Or you might see a commercial or two with a release date a moth away and never hear about it again?
Limited releases? Those things blow! When Your Highness opened, there wasn't a theater within 60 miles of me showing it. And they're going to bitch it didn't hit its target sales or audiences? I mean come on! You DON'T show the movie anywhere and then complain it was piracy that hurt it? Really? Its no wonder these dinosaurs are ripe for a digital comet to wipe their asses off the face of the Earth.

Nothing like "unlimited liability" to allow the copyright creeps to go as far as they want in enforcing their will.

"Numbers are irrelevant. This is a MORAL issue. You downloaded a Black Eyed Peas song? SPAWN OF BAALZEBUB! I SHALL CAST THEE INTO PERDITION!"

What's that people always say about not being able to legisle morality? Can we apply that here? :D

It is amazing how the MPAA/RIAA go to court and get away with not having to actually prove that the people they accuse are guilty of anything--on the grounds that "proving it" is "too hard to do" and so the plaintiffs should be allowed to simply assert both the guilt and the financial damages inflicted by the defendants! In any other endeavor save this one the state would have to prove its case as Constitutionally, the burden of proof lies with the state and not the defendant. So, how these "statutes" that pretend to be civil in nature and yet burden defendants with criminal penalties and sanctions are tolerated beats me.

It is amazing how the MPAA/RIAA go to court and get away with not having to actually prove that the people they accuse are guilty of anything--on the grounds that "proving it" is "too hard to do" and so the plaintiffs should be allowed to simply assert both the guilt and the financial damages inflicted by the defendants! In any other endeavor save this one the state would have to prove its case as Constitutionally, the burden of proof lies with the state and not the defendant. So, how these "statutes" that pretend to be civil in nature and yet burden defendants with criminal penalties and sanctions are tolerated beats me.

If you don't like it, you can move to Somalia, you lawless crazy.

(sarcasm)

$36 for two IMAX 3D tickets
$12 for two soda's
$8 for a garbage bag full of popcorn
$12 for two chocolate bars

What really pisses me off is I'm a grown ass man who makes good money. I can afford it. But a teenage boy?

$66 for movies + snacks
$100 for a nice dinner to impress his girl
$10 for gas
---------------
$176 for a fucking date? Seriously a kid has to work 22 hours just for one god damn date?

No wonder kids buy a joint for $5 and get high and have sex in their parents' basement :p

Give me a break.

$36 for two IMAX 3D tickets
$12 for two soda's
$8 for a garbage bag full of popcorn
$12 for two chocolate bars

What really pisses me off is I'm a grown ass man who makes good money. I can afford it. But a teenage boy?

$66 for movies + snacks
$100 for a nice dinner to impress his girl
$10 for gas
---------------
$176 for a fucking date? Seriously a kid has to work 22 hours just for one god damn date?

No wonder kids buy a joint for $5 and get high and have sex in their parents' basement :p

Give me a break.

It's like that old joke, a movie theater was robbed of $250 last night. The thieves stole 2 large popcorn combos and some Twizzlers.

I was just reading an article where they said that the reason, at least with movies, there is so much pirating is because there is such a long delay between the theatrical release and when people can actually stream it or rent it.

Why couldn't those wackos have flown a pair of 747s into MPAA and RIAA headquarters instead of intot he World Trade Center? Fight the real enemy.

Back