MPAA Says Making “One Copy” of a DVD is Illegal

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you make even one copy of a DVD, you should go to jail. According to our friends at the MPAA, you are a movie-stealing-scumbag-pirate if you want to make a legitimate back-up of a DVD you just bought for $19.99. :rolleyes:

"When a consumer can voluntarily expand the rights that come with one of those services — in essence open the door to multiple copies of a work not licensed for that — that eliminates any monetization models except one: selling full use rights to the work at one fixed price," says the Copyright Alliance on the MPAA’s behalf. If you want a DVD you can make copies of then the "price point" must be higher to reflect "expanded use rights."

They're just getting more and more absurd in their comments, aren't they? Idiots. :rolleyes:

Bring. It. On.

They're asking for a whole world of pain, and a can of whoop-ass, if they really think they can squeeze anyone into paying settlements or anything like that.

LOL next thing they're going to come out with is "a higher price point" to reflect multiple watches, it'll go a little something like this:

movie companies are losing money! everytime you rewatch that new bluray/dvd you just legally purchased you are breaking the law. you only paid to watch it once, every subsequent view is lost sale of perpetual viewing rights.

oh, and if you even think about watching a movie with your loved one/friends....you have to buy more licenses for that. we have now included new sensors in every dvd/bluray player that can monitor how many people are in the room at any given time, and before you can use your device you must supply us with a credit card. if we detect anyone new, you will automatically be charged for that person. now you can rest at ease knowing you won't be charged with a federal felony for anyone not authorized to be present!

I never thought they would be dumb enough to say it this plainly.

Just... wow.

Well grab some popcorn and watch the MPAA get their asses handed to them in court. This won't fly.

Who would have thought that William Gibson's cyberpunk future wasn't so much about big corporations running everything, but about the MPAA/RIAA running everything.

Conversation with my cousin.
"Hey, do you know how to make copies of DVDs"
(I'm the "go to" guy in the family when it comes to anything computer related).
"Yeah sure, you can use..."
"Oh good, because I'd rather not leave all the movies in the car when we go on trips, the heat, etc, could ruin them"
(They're kids movies to keep his son entertained in the car)

My poor nephew is going to be so sad when his dad is in jail all because of him.

I am at a loss of words for these fucktards. I knew they there down out right morons.. But i wouldn't have expected them to be this stupid...

My faith would begin to be restored in the judicial system if two things happen:
RIAA is sent back to the stone age where they belong
MPAA is disbanded

:D

movie companies are losing money! everytime you rewatch that new bluray/dvd you just legally purchased you are breaking the law. you only paid to watch it once, every subsequent view is lost sale of perpetual viewing rights.

oh, and if you even think about watching a movie with your loved one/friends....you have to buy more licenses for that.

QFT

This is just stupid enough to believe that the MPAA would say such a thing, and infuriating enough to cause an aneurysm.

Cant help but wonder if they really believe this shit or if they just want to get a rise out of everyone.

What we need is someone to break into the home of a senior member of the MPAA or RIAA and find copies of movies from friends or family, 'cause you damned well know they do it, just like everyone else. Find recorded TV shows on VHS video tape, or on a hard drive in a PC, or something similar, and out the bastards...

LOL next thing they're going to come out with is "a higher price point" to reflect multiple watches, it'll go a little something like this:

oh, and if you even think about watching a movie with your loved one/friends....you have to buy more licenses for that. we have now included new sensors in every dvd/bluray player that can monitor how many people are in the room at any given time, and before you can use your device you must supply us with a credit card. if we detect anyone new, you will automatically be charged for that person. now you can rest at ease knowing you won't be charged with a federal felony for anyone not authorized to be present!

ironically that is not far from the truth. blu-ray was designed for that purpose. you will get x number of viewings and then after that you need to subscribe in order to watch your movie. it is the reason there is a lan port (web connection) requirment for blu-ray players. and what exactly is the world gonna do... lol when dvd production stops and only blu-ray is out there.. so get movie for 29.99 or more and then you will need a subscription service..

which i remember reading will be scalled, more times you want to watch said movie the more you need to pay per month and so on.

This is like me claiming this post is copyrighted by me. Everyone that reads it must pay me $1, every time they read it. If you copy and paste it, $2.

They can always supply a warranty to protect against scratches and cracks on all their DVDs. Then they can provide pre-paid mailers at retailers for free that you can place your damaged disk in and then in a few weeks you will get a free replacement in 2 weeks. Either that or they can let me make a legal copy for the price of a $.20 DVD.

god i'm tired of these clowns.

it just makes me sick to think that we are losing more and more of our independence and freedom every day because of the money-hoarding governmental and corporate pigs of the world.

why not remain competitive and adapt instead of just bitching about it all.

in the words of Zack de la Rocha "An army of pigs try to silence my style. Off em all out that box it's my radio dial"

I know it seems obvious... But since the news article was shocking enough, please tell me that this is sarcasm. :p
Of course it is :)

I was going to throw in my MPAA Pirate flag too to point out the sarcasm but I just threw it in photoshop which took me about 5 minutes. Here it is.

MPAA needs a good old fashioned antitrust lawsuit. They also need good movies. Take away 90% of the budgets most movies get so they write good stories and characters. Because right now movies are simple endless cgi demos.

Arrrrrr, and Giggity.
quagmire.gif

ya know, I wish that people would just get sick of this organized crime syndicate and really hit them where it hurts. STOP BUYING THE CRAP FOR A WHILE. Hit them where it hurts, just like their trying to do to us. Stop buying dvd's and digital downloads, protest, go on strike, call it what you want. This it f'ing rediciluos, I buy a dvd to watch, don't have time to do it at home, so I copy it to my zune to watch on my whatever trip, I'm a pirate criminal scumbag that should be put in jail and fined every dollar that I make till I die. Well, F U bish, keep them, I'll read a book or play a vid game instead. Please. To some degree, I really blame the consumer for letting these guys run rough shot over normal, paying customers, only to have them threaten, intimidate and even sue. And what do they do, keep going back for more.

MAKE THEM PAY. STOP BUYING THIS STUFF TILL THEY STOP ACTING LIKE MOB BOSSES COLLECTING LATE LOAN PAYMENTS.

You would have thought they got a clue from DRM & Spore. The more they push the more people push back.

They can always supply a warranty to protect against scratches and cracks on all their DVDs. Then they can provide pre-paid mailers at retailers for free that you can place your damaged disk in and then in a few weeks you will get a free replacement in 2 weeks. Either that or they can let me make a legal copy for the price of a $.20 DVD.

Sure, that will be $5 a month, per movie and if you ever stop payment, the insurance on that movie can never be re instated. The alternative is $5 per view, we will be happy to send you new media if it ever gets damaged or lost, but we will charge you $9.99 for shipping and handling and you will still be responsible for the lost media to the power per pirated copy to reflect the damage caused to the movie industry.

I think this would be the model they would choose (I can also picture this with 4x the prices though).

ironically that is not far from the truth. blu-ray was designed for that purpose. you will get x number of viewings and then after that you need to subscribe in order to watch your movie. it is the reason there is a lan port (web connection) requirment for blu-ray players. and what exactly is the world gonna do... lol when dvd production stops and only blu-ray is out there.. so get movie for 29.99 or more and then you will need a subscription service..

which i remember reading will be scalled, more times you want to watch said movie the more you need to pay per month and so on.

And then they wonder why the shit gets pirated.

Well at least there's this statistic...

The number of movie tickets sold annually in the US has steadily declined from 1.58 billion in 2002 to 1.37 billion in 2008. That's nearly a 14% decrease in ticket sales in the last 6 years despite nearly a 9% growth in the US population during the same time.

That makes me happy.

While I don't really care about their organization at all...

Who the hell actually makes "back ups" of DVDs ? Out of all my tech friends that I know, none of them have backup anything in their collections of games/movies/media.

People just like to complain to complain.

I think I'm going to go home and download every movie I already own becuase burning a copy of them is unethical and will give me mrsa.

make no mistake teh NEW WORLD ORDER aka free masons etc. will use this and other things like carbon taxes to eventually take all your privacy away then your rights.

How much cushion do they have before they are seriously in trouble for money? Seems like the more sales stop the more they are going to go sue happy. I can see them enforcing counter fitting and people selling those i'm all for that, but making a backup for personal use so you don't scratch it or break it just crazy, i probably will never buy a movie or cd again in my life. It's like the consumer is their enemy.

To put it another way, the average movie tickets purchased per person has gone from 5.6 in 2002 to 4.5 in 2008.

Back