MPAA Says Making “One Copy” of a DVD is Illegal

Who the hell actually makes "back ups" of DVDs ? Out of all my tech friends that I know, none of them have backup anything in their collections of games/movies/media.

People just like to complain to complain.
Yes you've never lost a DVD! I've lost plenty of DVD's due to damage over time and it's worth saving my money if I back it up and put it back in the box. I have over 4TB of space on my machine hence why I can back it up. As people pointed out, there are so many circumstances how DVD's can go bad. Especially since it depends on the manufacturer of the DVD's if they're doing the process properly because if they're not, your DVD can decay and you're shit out of a movie that you supposedly owned. The MPAA is basically saying "Fuck you, buy another DVD." If everyone started renting these DVD's via Redbox, Blockbuster, etc, then the MPAA would lose even more money because people stopped buying their DVD's just to spite them.

Fuck em.

I ripped all of my DVD's to my hdd. Its called convenience. If someone has a problem with that, they can go you know what.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

While I don't really care about their organization at all...

Who the hell actually makes "back ups" of DVDs ? Out of all my tech friends that I know, none of them have backup anything in their collections of games/movies/media.

I don't make backups, I rip my DVDs so I can access any of them at any time using my media center. The point doesn't change: it's still fair use.

well shit then.. some one arrest me.. since all 1100 movies i have.. have been physically copied and digitally copied for backup..

the sad thing is.. this just makes me want to buy their crap less and less and just deal with comcast ondemand HD to watch my movies..

If the MPAA has even one thought that fair use will be overturned in a true legal challenge in court, they are kidding themselves. I buy movies- I do not steal them or rip them from rentals. That said, I will copy them and play them where ever the hell I want to because COPYING A DVD IS LEGAL due tot he prior legal decision pertaining to the invention of VCRs called the fair use doctrine that says a consumer can make a backup copy of their legally owned media for backup purposes.

it looks like the MPAA is trying to assert that their media format is was built with planned obsolescence. Basically they assume people are going to lose their product, scratch it, crack it, or after 10 years the laws of physics break it down. Either way they seem to feel that, much like a vehicle, the product is actually consumable, requiring re-purchase to continue use just like your vehicle requires repair to continue use. It seems to me like the entire MPAA would be better off using an on-demand like method for all of their content. I dont know why they feel obligated to produce material on a physical format then complain about how people use it. Just partner up with comcast and whore out every movie through their on-demand service.

it looks like the MPAA is trying to assert that their media format is was built with planned obsolescence. Basically they assume people are going to lose their product, scratch it, crack it, or after 10 years the laws of physics break it down. Either way they seem to feel that, much like a vehicle, the product is actually consumable, requiring re-purchase to continue use just like your vehicle requires repair to continue use. It seems to me like the entire MPAA would be better off using an on-demand like method for all of their content. I dont know why they feel obligated to produce material on a physical format then complain about how people use it. Just partner up with comcast and whore out every movie through their on-demand service.

The other issue is when Hollywood / the movie industry create a new format like the transition from VHS-> DVD or Vinyl->Cassette->CD, a large number of people rebuy the movies or music to get higher quality or to support it in their new player. Now that everything is digital and CD quality is pretty good for the average person as is DVD, there is less need for people to upgrade their media to watch the same movie or hear the same album. Instead with music, people can just rip to thier MP3 player and same thing with their DVDs. This really cuts into the music and movie industry's sales of streaming media or downloads. This creates a huge cut in their revinue stream and the MPAA is fighting this at the expense of the customer.

The other issue is when Hollywood / the movie industry create a new format like the transition from VHS-> DVD or Vinyl->Cassette->CD, a large number of people rebuy the movies or music to get higher quality or to support it in their new player. Now that everything is digital and CD quality is pretty good for the average person as is DVD, there is less need for people to upgrade their media to watch the same movie or hear the same album. Instead with music, people can just rip to thier MP3 player and same thing with their DVDs. This really cuts into the music and movie industry's sales of streaming media or downloads. This creates a huge cut in their revinue stream and the MPAA is fighting this at the expense of the customer.

That's is the problem itself. They shouldn't have created an industry based in items with non actual value. This is just them speculating.

Now I fully agree that they are being unreasonable. However, being a wedding photographer I am very concerned with copyright law. This is a very tricky thing, there are a lot of 'starving artists' for lack of a better word, that would be absolutely destroyed if the law the MPAA and RIAA are using as a Guise for money grubbing were removed as I'm sure many people in these forums wish for.

Allowing copies of a thing to be made for free destroys the ability for people such as myself to make an income from our work. So before everyone and their grandma starts wanting this law to be torn down think about all the little guys that this law is really protecting.

Now I fully agree that they are being unreasonable. However, being a wedding photographer I am very concerned with copyright law. This is a very tricky thing, there are a lot of 'starving artists' for lack of a better word, that would be absolutely destroyed if the law the MPAA and RIAA are using as a Guise for money grubbing were removed as I'm sure many people in these forums wish for.

Allowing copies of a thing to be made for free destroys the ability for people such as myself to make an income from our work. So before everyone and their grandma starts wanting this law to be torn down think about all the little guys that this law is really protecting.

I absolutely agree with you. Copyright law needs to remain intact for protecting artists. Heck, I even agree with the reasoning that a copy of a movie in VHS is a different product that a copy of a DVD, and there for a consumer must re-buy the movie in the new format or be content with the vhs tape.

My main concern here is I want to put my disks on a movie server and watch the movie wherever I want. I re-buy movies in bluray, and I want to enjoy them without the movie company controlling my viewing enjoyment through any means, especially:

1. Restricting my ability to view the movie by forcing me to have the physical disk in the player when I watch the movie I paid for.

2. forcing me to view the movie according to their standards of menu driven access.

3. forcing me to view advertising before I watch the movie i paid money for.

As far as i am concerned, one the copy of the movie has entered my ownership, I can do whatever I want with it as long as I do not interfere with their ability to profit from it. And copying it to my media center and using software to eliminate what I consider to be an annoyance of menus and advertising does not restrict their ability to profit form the sale of copies of the movie. If i were to pirate it and give it to friends- that interferes. If i were to rent it and copy it, that interferes. But buying it through legal means as an original copy does not.

I fully agree with you.
And I fully disagree with the MPAA and RIAA, they are soulless evil corporations.

I just wanted to put that note in there so that everybody in these forums doesn't think that copyright law is a horrible bad thing that should be stricken down. It needs to somehow be upheld but without the ability of these companies to hide behind the law. Something to be handled very delicately to say the least.

This is so full of it. Paying soon for "expanded use rights.." ? yeah right..

While I agree that people deserve to get paid, I also feel that there comes a point where it gets out of hand.

I as the consumer should have the right and the ability to make a legitimate backup copy of the things I have purchased on a DVD, in the event that something happens to the original, or I want to protect the original from being lost, stolen, or destroyed, either by accident or someone I know that decides to be a dick. The base of my argument in this is that no one put up this much of a stink about it when it was all on VHS, and that nobody complained when you could tape songs off the radio or off television. With the advent of DVR/PVR and DVD players with recording functions, there still isn't much hell being raised over those particular technologies and yet a consumer cannot make a legitimate backup copy of something they have legitimately purchased! Why is this?

If being able to cover my own ass is not feasible, then I would hope you as the provider of the content I have purchased will pick up the tab on issuing me a new copy in the event that i require one, and I would just pay shipping. If this is not feasible, then why in the hell am I obligated to be doing business with you? You are not providing me the peace of mind that comes from being able to purchase something from you, with the confidence that you will take care of me as your customer. Therefore, I will either go to someone who will, or find a means on my own. Why am I going to buy something from you if your obligation to assist me or provide goods/services ends at receiving payment? If that is the case, then I simply won't purchase from you.

well what we're talking about here doesnt concern that branch of copyright law, this is just fair use.

This is like me claiming this post is copyrighted by me. Everyone that reads it must pay me $1, every time they read it. If you copy and paste it, $2.

You can get my $2 when you take my copy of AnyDVD, er, AnyPOST from my cold dead computer.

Of course, pretty soon we'll have PSAs from Sean Penn about starving Hollywood moguls who can't afford their sixth Porsche Boxster because I copied MY OWN DVD to my harddisk.

You can get my $2 when you take my copy of AnyDVD, er, AnyPOST from my cold dead computer.

Of course, pretty soon we'll have PSAs from Sean Penn about starving Hollywood moguls who can't afford their sixth Porsche Boxster because I copied MY OWN DVD to my harddisk.

Sean Penn is a fag. And so are people who drive boxsters.

I love my AnyDVD and CloneDVD2.

AnyDVD is one of those "must have" apps.

DVD Shrink is another (free) one that will allow you to re-author DVD's cutting out trailers, FBI warnings, foreign language, and other crap like "extras". Burns too. :D

Not to mention that ticket prices are just downright absurd these days. 8-12 bucks per ticket from the various theaters I've been to, thats just too much. And then when everything at consession is $3+, even for a lowly pickle, I can see why there has been a decline in ticket sales.

Also the whole theater experience sucks these days, people can't shut up, or stay in their seat, and then there is always that moron behind you kicking your chair, phones going off, people texting, the list goes on (even technical difficulties, which are too common I think, audio going out, video not aligned, etc..). It's simply too hard to enjoy a movie at a theater these days.

Really I just wait for the DVDs now (unless it's a movie I really want to see, which is rare these days). Going to the theater sucks.

If you're fortunate enough to own a television (42"+) and a home theater, there is no point in going to the theater. That includes IMAX because it's a blurry mess. I badly want to see the new Star Trek but I'm just going to wait for it to come out on DVD. My home theater systems blows the theater away.

Do what you want because a pirate is free!

*taps out tune on desk*

As long as we don't get the reputation of the Somali pirates, I'm OK with them swinging their finger at me.

*looks around for SEALs*

All good :D

Copy-and-paste: This is like me claiming this post is copyrighted by me. Everyone that reads it must pay me $1, every time they read it. If you copy and paste it, $2.

So when will the RIAA/MPAA get the troll of the year award? Because seriously, this is some of the best trolling I've ever seen.

What we need is someone to break into the home of a senior member of the MPAA or RIAA and find copies of movies from friends or family, 'cause you damned well know they do it, just like everyone else. Find recorded TV shows on VHS video tape, or on a hard drive in a PC, or something similar, and out the bastards...

Wasn't there a news article on the Sony CEO's son being caught pirating songs through P2P about a year ago? Caused quite a stir because all he did was slapped his hand and wag his finger at him instead of fining him or throwing him in jail like he would do anyone else.

S

P.S. where is our pirate emoticon?

Good enough?

internetpirates.jpg

OK, now they're really just getting silly.

So if I go and buy one of these "expanded license" dvds, does that mean it would not be encrypted?
Or does it mean we get a crappy quality wmv of the movie with drm that makes it expire 1 year after purchase?

Why does the MPAA hate customers so much? It's like they hate money, so they try harder and harder to drive people away from paying for DVD's.

I know I stopped years ago... I think the last DVD I purchased was X-Men (the first one). That was what, back in 2002 or something? They cost too much, and then you have attitudes like this. Why bother?

This is kinda funny:

English teacher;
Anyone got the movie blablabla?
class;
nope.
English teacher;
Can anyone download it for next class?

Another example
Teacher;
Where going to watch blalbalba, but the quality on the one i downloaded wasnt very good.

And this is a fact, most teachers here actually do it, I think we all have to go to prison :p

I think one of the biggest problems for us is when we try to voice our opposition to such stupid policies, and, consequently, we must be automatically guilty of piracy because we object.

The MPAA/RIAA "Patriot Act" is juxtapositioned against "You can't legislate your way to freedom." Who will win this slugfest of the giants?!? Stay tuned.

The term Copy-and-Paste will be changed to Steal-and-Loot once the copyright MAFIAA gets their way.

Bull Shit. I own my DVD's and I will make a copy so that my originals do not get messed up. Nazi bastards.

While I don't really care about their organization at all...

I have backups of most of my purchased CDs and DVDs. CD's are backed up via Monkey's Audio/FLAC and I rip DVD's to my hard drive.

So...............if I am paying for a basically one time use fee, how do companies like Blockbuster get around it?

Back