MPAA Demands Extraordinary Measures to Prevent Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you thought the MPAA was unreasonable when it came to the way it treats pirates, you should see what they demand from business partners. :eek:

Companies wishing to process, handle or distribute video content for the MPAA have to go to extraordinary lengths to become accredited by the Hollywood group. From background checks on all personnel and the banning of certain types of clothing, to food restrictions and personal searches, the MPAA hopes to keep content leakage to a minimum.

Yeah, there's nothing really in that article that's not SOP around sensitive data or material.

IMO not too outrageous, I've noticed in the past few months more screenings I've been to have confiscated phones and used a wand on people to double check.

Although maybe they should start with their "own people" and not give free copies of movies to anyone who at any time in their life got a SAG union card.

got a solution.... people have to go to work nakid!! no clothing no can hide stuffers..

oh wait.. then theyll want to do body cavity searches.. and I guess full body xrays just to make sure...

Don't see what the big deal is here?

From what I gather this will only inconvenience (if it hasn't already) people that work for the move industry.

If you don't want to deal with it then don't work for the movie industry?

3c09d14adcdd6626599b630020298af374a0fd836295a829a62c17c45770fd64.jpg

Yeah, no. These buffoons are so out of touch with reality it makes my head spin. If they were only to realize that if they updated their business model... wait... who am I kidding?

I did some web design work for Paramount for the 2009 Star Trek film before its release, and it was horrifying the number of legal documents I had to e-sign before starting. I'm just a freelance guy with no lawyer, so I'm still not sure what all was in them (me no speaky the legalese.) I'm pretty sure they permanently retain all legal rights to my soul, and that of any of my future offspring.

What does food has anything to do with this?

They think employees will sneak out a movie by hiding it in a usb stick inside a croissant they had for breakfast?

got a solution.... people have to go to work nakid!! no clothing no can hide stuffers..

oh wait.. then theyll want to do body cavity searches.. and I guess full body xrays just to make sure...

7/5ths of America is obese. Do you really wanna do that to the 2/5ths of us that aren't?

What does food has anything to do with this?

They think employees will sneak out a movie by hiding it in a usb stick inside a croissant they had for breakfast?

exactly, But I was thinking more of a usb on a snicker bar :D:D

LOL.. you should see the security reviews and audits one has to go through to handle disney/marvel media

i think one doc started out at 40 pages

then you get the other side of the spectrum with some production companies and pretty free access to their storage that houses all their media and completed work

its trippy

Can’t help but to think of those movies where the drug dealer has a bunch of naked people mixing product :D

At my job (which is not in the entertainment industry), we're not supposed to have any kind of portable media, anything that can take a picture and we're not supposed to have food at our desks. We're subject to search upon entry or exit from the buildings. All Internet activity is logged. FTP is blocked. Anything remotely resembling a file sharing site (think Dropbox, etc.) is closely monitored.

All those rules and, other than stuff that's actually blocked on the Internet, none of it is enforced. Weird.

At my job (which is not in the entertainment industry), we're not supposed to have any kind of portable media, anything that can take a picture and we're not supposed to have food at our desks. We're subject to search upon entry or exit from the buildings. All Internet activity is logged. FTP is blocked. Anything remotely resembling a file sharing site (think Dropbox, etc.) is closely monitored.

All those rules and, other than stuff that's actually blocked on the Internet, none of it is enforced. Weird.
Do you work in a classified/closed area? I assume only 1-way pagers are allowed to facilitate mobility.

Back