MPAA Blasts Anti-SOPA Blackouts As Dangerous Stunts

HardOCP News

[H] News
The MPAA is calling the planned anti-SOPA blackouts dangerous and troubling stunts. Stunts? Some of the biggest companies in the world are going dark for a day in protest of SOPA, and they call that a stunt? Wow. These guys really are out of touch. :(

Anti-SOPA blackouts planned for tomorrow by sites like Wikipedia, Boing Boing, Reddit, and others are "stunts" that are "dangerous and troubling," Hollywood's chief lobbyist said.

And freedom slips a little farther away.

Tort reform is still among the top five major issues we need to tackle in the USA. We should not have to live in fear of the MPAA, nor should the progress of the movie industry worldwide continue to be held back in the stone age by their unethical tactics.

I'd like to issue an all out 100% fuck you to the MPAA.

FUCK YOU. Your bill will die. We're not willing to throw away the constitution. Amazing people stand up to it sometimes.

If it could even pass, and it won't, it would lose out in the courts. You can see what happens when suits with $ press something. THAT would be a waste of spending. The fact our congressmen entertain such horse shit is a waste on its own. The people drafting and supporting these bills need voted out.

I'd like to issue an all out 100% fuck you to the MPAA.

FUCK YOU. Your bill will die. We're not willing to throw away the constitution. Amazing people stand up to it sometimes.

The fact our congressmen entertain such horse shit is a waste on its own. The people drafting and supporting these bills need voted out.

+1

More and more comporate overlords are ignoring the individual freedoms of...um...individuals (also known by some as 'customers'). MPAA is seriously out of touch and needs the lamp of truth to shine in its direction so the rats that keep pushing this garbage can scatter and learn their lesson once and for all.

The voice of this response echoes back throughout history. When protests and activity which endangers those in power's plans begins to occur, the rallying of the public against such acts with labels such as "dangerous", "stunts", "terror", etc will inevitably follow.

screw MPAA/RIAA and all the politicians who've been paid off for this mess.

The President is saying he won't support SOPA, but technically he has to wait for the bill to be passed, then veto it, then it goes back for another vote. And there's still PIPA which comes up in the Senate on January 24th. Yes, Mr. Obama has stated that he is against both bills - http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012...ds-we-people-petitions-sopa-and-online-piracy ... but that's right now and that doesn't preclude a veto-overriding vote, right?

From wikianswers http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_a_bill_pass_if_the_President_vetos_it:

"There are four things that can happen to a bill.

The first thing is the president can sign it and it goes into law.

The second thing is the president allows the bill to go into law without his signature. If the bill sits on the president's desk for ten days and Congress is still in session, the bill automatically becomes law. This happens to two kinds of bills: boring bills that just make real small technical changes to laws, and bills that the president doesn't really like but doesn't have any reason to veto either.

Third is the pocket veto. If Congress is out of session when the 10 days elapses, the bill dies. It's like he put it in his pocket and forgot about it, which is how it gets its name.

And fourth is the veto. The president marks "veto" on the bill, states his objections to it and sends it back. At this point Congress has three options. The first is to make the changes the president wants, revote the bill and send it back to the White House for signature. This generally does NOT happen. The second is to revote the bill as it stands, and it becomes law should two-thirds of both houses vote for it. The third is just to let the bill die.

Sometimes you'll hear that a bill has a veto-proof majority in one or both houses of Congress. This means at least two-thirds of the members of that house voted in favor of the bill. It also means the president doesn't like it."

Then there's this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...s-to-resuscitate-bill-after-protest-blackout/

So the blackout, the petitions, everything that's happening now, has to KEEP happening. We can't become complacent and say oh, well, SOPA's shelved, all's well with the U.S./World because it's not.

The **AA mostly, but also other business supporters of these bills, need to keep the profile of these awful bills low in order to have a chance at these passing. The problem really isn't that the users of these services will be inconvenienced, it's that awareness of the problems in these bill is about to become widespread.

I can understand the frustration of many of the other SOPA/PIP support signees, especially those who have to battle with knock-off, but due process cannot be ignored. TBH, I wish DMCA would be fixed instead, particularly with protections for users against abuse takedown practices. DMCA hasn't aged well.

He's only trying to shelf it because it's an election cycle and it's wildly unpopular. He LIKES this type of legislation. He just doesn't want to push it this month.

So the blackout, the petitions, everything that's happening now, has to KEEP happening. We can't become complacent and say oh, well, SOPA's shelved, all's well with the U.S./World because it's not.

Absolutely! And great little refresher on how legislation can be hamstrung by the President. :D

Lets see the MPAA has literally admitted to being the ones to write this bill/legislation, and is highly suspected to be behind the DMCA as well, and they're upset that others get a little pissed off?

Honestly if politicians sans lobbying came up with this idea I'd be a TAD less upset about it, but the fact a corporation has bought this law into being pissed me off to no god damn end... like civil war pissed off.

Dodd also said that the blackouts are "an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today. It's a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests." (See CNET's FAQ on SOPA.)
Uhh, that's a bad thing? I guess this guy either owns or has buddies that own radio/television/print media outlets and they basically control what is reported. I bet this guy hates the internet because there's no one group of people that can just what news the public sees until his people write a law that lets them take down content at will.

I can't believe he'd mention people skewing facts to further corporate interests. THAT'S ALL THE MP/RIAA DO! "DURR, WE LOST $50 BILLION TRILLION TO PIRACY LAST WEEK; WE MUST BLOCK THE INTERNET!" This idiot is really caught up in his own little world.

The UMG VS MegaUpload debacle on YouTube just proves that these people are not at all responsible enough to have such a powerful tool in their hands.

Uhh, that's a bad thing? I guess this guy either owns or has buddies that own radio/television/print media outlets and they basically control what is reported. I bet this guy hates the internet because there's no one group of people that can just what news the public sees until his people write a law that lets them take down content at will.

I can't believe he'd mention people skewing facts to further corporate interests. THAT'S ALL THE MP/RIAA DO! "DURR, WE LOST $50 BILLION TRILLION TO PIRACY LAST WEEK; WE MUST BLOCK THE INTERNET!" This idiot is really caught up in his own little world.

The UMG VS MegaUpload debacle on YouTube just proves that these people are not at all responsible enough to have such a powerful tool in their hands.

You beat me to it. I thought that quote was hilarious considering who is came from.

This really pains me as a pacifist, but I really do see the benefit in killing off these people. Unfortunately there is no way to describe what these people are without getting into moral relativism and I simply must say that given my belief system that human life is valuable, it is obvious that I no longer see these things as humans. They lash out uncontrollable against their fellow man and have no regard for life, liberty, or property. With that said, as an America who proudly backs the rights and freedoms bestowed upon us by two of the greatest documents ever to be penned, the Deceleration of Independence and the United States Constitution, I must insist that these abominations, seen as people, be deemed as traitors and terrorist, as they are entirely against everything that our nation stands for.

And the current penalty for treason is death.

FUCK the MPAA and the RIAA, and any other organization, corporation, or politician that supports this SOPA censorship bullshit! FUCK THEM !

I'm writing my Congressmen(crooks) every day via the automated message that can be found on the EFF's website. :D

Just in case any wants this info, here is the contact information for the MPAA un-human Chris Dodd:

Hartford Office
30 Lewis St Suite 101
Hartford, CT 06103
Phone: (860) 258-6940
Toll Free: (800) 334-5341
Fax: (860) 258-6958

Washington, DC Office
448 Russell Building
Washington D.C., 20510
Phone: (202) 224-2823
Fax: (202) 224-1083

Use this information wisely.

I know this was already mentioned but...

Dodd also said that the blackouts are "an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today. It's a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests."

You have got to be FUCKING kidding me. What kind of delusional world does this person live in?

He's just one of many. Imagine how many of these type of people exist at the top levels of society :p

Spoken like a true criminal.
As they continue to push bills that puts them above the law. Someone else was right, this is traitorous activity, there should be provisions preventing the introduction of bills that specifically circumvent due process or civil rights. Are they going to attempt to invoke the patriot act on the next copyright case?

Nothing but greedy souls with no regard to the value of human life versus money.
The bane of my existence is being on the same planet as those elitist pricks...

Why do people suddenly think "Shelved" equals "Dead"? It means that they will pop it back in randomly through another bill trying to pass it all sneaky..

This is far from over and the chief lobbyist for the MPAA can suck both my balls , I hope the MPAA pisses off Washington and Corporations so badly that it has to crawl back to Hollywood and disappear for a while.

Just in case any wants this info, here is the contact information for the MPAA un-human Chris Dodd:

Hartford Office
30 Lewis St Suite 101
Hartford, CT 06103

Washington, DC Office
448 Russell Building
Washington D.C., 20510

Post to 4chan. Watch the hilarity ensue.

Hey, I'm all for protecting IP and Copyright for a reasonable amount of time (25 years), but the MPAA is just not doing the right thing.

It's fine as long as it isn't used against them :)

The RIAA?
Demonizing bastions of free information?

Color me surprised.

If the RIAA truly doesn't want these sites going down, why are they writing laws that will doom the sites?

By the way, if SOPA passes, I think acts of civil disobedience will include making false reports about lots of websites, starting with the RIAA, MPAA et al.

By the way, if SOPA passes, I think acts of civil disobedience will include making false reports about lots of websites, starting with the RIAA, MPAA et al.

Yep I can see it happen. In fact I think that should be the next step in the protest. Just flood them with false accusations. Even go as far as making fake torrent sites. I would imagine that for each site that is taken down, a bunch of reports and paper work will happen for a long time after the fact. We need to completely overwhelm them. If everyone works together, we can probably make a difference. If we can't stop it, we can at least make their lives a living hell.

Yep I can see it happen. In fact I think that should be the next step in the protest. Just flood them with false accusations. Even go as far as making fake torrent sites. I would imagine that for each site that is taken down, a bunch of reports and paper work will happen for a long time after the fact. We need to completely overwhelm them. If everyone works together, we can probably make a difference. If we can't stop it, we can at least make their lives a living hell.

What funny is that fake sites don't have to be setup. Plenty of torrenting going on in Congress, at the MPAA HQ, and various other places these sanctimonious pricks "work" at.

Hartford Office
30 Lewis St Suite 101
Hartford, CT 06103

Washington, DC Office
448 Russell Building
Washington D.C., 20510

Enjoy your 10 broccoli and anchovy pizzas, Mr Dodd.

Dodd also said that the blackouts are "an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today. It's a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests."

Because gosh darn Wikipedia has such evil corporate plans and is willing to do anything to further them... :rolleyes:

Back