mp3s and oggs sound like crap in winamp

mcryptic

[H]ard|Gawd
I was comparing mp3s with oggs and one thing i noticed is when i set the equalizer to full base and treble the mp3 sounds muggy and the ogg has a hiss and on the highs. i ripped the mp3 at 320kbs with LAME and the ogg at 192kbs (160 sounds really bad, at 192 its near perfect). With out the equalizer on they both sound fine. So whats going one? Is it because winamp is using different decoders for the wav, the mp3, and the ogg? Would another player (winamp 3 or 5) sound better? Or is it my crappy sound card (audigy gamer)? Or is it just that compressed audio will sound bad for certain songs? I've only notice this a one or two sounds.

If you have Winamp 2.9x or 5.x do the following:

In preferences, under Plugins/Input. Double-click "Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder" On the Decoder tab disable the option for "Fast Layer 3 EQ" Click OK, Close, and then restart Winamp.

Doing this switches Winamp's mp3 decoder over to the new 4Front EQ code. By default everything BUT the mp3 decoder uses the new EQ.

wow thanks that certainly fixed the mp3, guess if just have to encode and my oggs a bit higher next.

thanks

You could improve your MP3 experience even more by downloading the MAD plugin, it's a lot better.

i still haven't found out what is causing the hiss on oggs, i've tried using cdex, eac, oggdrop, and frontah but they all give the same results.

here are the samples of the area of the song that is giving me trouble.

wav

mp3

ogg

the ogg has a very noticeable hiss on each beat when encoded at 160kbs and when the treble is set high during playback.

Back