mp3 to AAC

vjs0710

Weaksauce
Before putting my songs in my i pod i want to convert all my mp3's to AAC format. Is this better or should i stay with mp3? i have already transfered a few songs using i tunes.

thanks.

At 128 AAC sounds much better then the MP3 version and it takes up less space but I encode at 192, the file size pretty much stays the same as the mp3 version (I THINK!! I don't quite remember the mp3 size since it was sometime ago) but the sound quality is MUCH better.

If you use the ID3 tag properties of the mp3's to allow an mp3 capable player to display the artist, track, and song information, and convert all of your songs to AAC, you will no longer be able to use this function.

Your better of staying with Mp3. You should NEVER convert from one lossy format to the other.

Depending on the source copy and your destination bitrate/codec there can be substantial sound quality loss.

"If you use the ID3 tag properties of the mp3's to allow an mp3 capable player to display the artist, track, and song information, and convert all of your songs to AAC, you will no longer be able to use this function."

Huh? What the hell have you been smoking? AAC supports ID3-tagging, too...

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
At 128 AAC sounds much better then the MP3 version and it takes up less space but I encode at 192, the file size pretty much stays the same as the mp3 version (I THINK!! I don't quite remember the mp3 size since it was sometime ago) but the sound quality is MUCH better.

That's a pretty broad and useless statement considering the wildly varying differences in sound quality between MP3 encoders. a LAME encoded MP3 sounds much much better than say a Xing encoded one. AAC is pure Apple marketing BS, there is nothing wrong with it mind you, but the claims, like most of Apple's are over exagerated. AAC is used primarily because of it's DRM functions. That said, file size is of little importance to me personally and I haven't checked size differences. I have a RAID 5 set just for music with over 100,000+ MP3's encoded at 256kb using EAC+LAME and I can honestly not tell a difference between them and a CD in my Grado SR80s.

That's a pretty broad and useless statement considering the wildly varying differences in sound quality between MP3 encoders. a LAME encoded MP3 sounds much much better than say a Xing encoded one. AAC is pure Apple marketing BS, there is nothing wrong with it mind you, but the claims, like most of Apple's are over exagerated. AAC is used primarily because of it's DRM functions. That said, file size is of little importance to me personally and I haven't checked size differences. I have a RAID 5 set just for music with over 100,000+ MP3's encoded at 256kb using EAC+LAME and I can honestly not tell a difference between them and a CD in my Grado SR80s.

This may all be true, but to my ears AAC is better. I have an iPod and all my mp3s always get converted. In the end, none of this crap above counts, its what your ears tell you.

Back