MP3 Tagging for car CD Player?

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey, I recently bought a Sony car CD player that supports tagging of MP3 files to show name, artist, and album (among other things) on the LCD of the cd player. I burn my CDs using Windows Media Player (please don't hate me :p ), and I was wondering if I have to download a plugin to enable it to tag the files when they're burned, or if there's a setting somewhere I can't find. Or, I have a copy of Roxio easy CD creator, would that be better? I'd prefer to keep using Windows Media Player, and tagging isn't ALL that important, but if there's an easy way to integrate it, I'd like to explore it.

Here's the link on Sony's website for my CD player:

http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-CheFVGTh0Ub/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=158CDXF571

It's pretty sweet, but adding the tags would make it even cooler. I bought the new coldplay CD, and it doesn't have tags that the CD player will display (just shows "NO NAME"), but when I rip into WMP, it shows up with all the fields filled. I'll look in my manual and get some more specifics. Thanks in advance!

Umm, tags are data contained within the music files. If the data's on CD, you're not going to be able to tag it.

Use Exact Audio Copy. Check out the FAQ for a good guide.

No, I mean that he can't tag files on an already burned CD, it being a write once, read many type of media. The MP3 CDs he may burn in the future may be CD-texted, or tagged prior to burning in any manner of ways.

Get your original MP3's and use Tag & Rename. Set all the ID3 tags to the appropiate album/track and you'll be set.

GodsMadClown:

Yeah, I know I can't tag on an already-burned CD. I was talking about making additional CDs when I get new mp3 files, and I want to tag them. So EAC will allow me to put tags on the files that my car CD player can read off the CD and display on the LCD?

Thanks, Mister X and RandysWay, I'll go look at that stuff too. I can't believe WMP doesn't support that natively, or that you can't at least get an easy plugin for it that will add that in.

Yes, EAC has the ability to download info about a CD from freedb.org, rip the audio from that CD, pass the audio and that info to LAME so that what comes out on the other side is a bunch of quality, tagged MP3s.

Learn how to do it:
http://www.bestmp3guide.com/

Thank you sir! I'll look into it. It just adds a little more when the CDs are tagged and the car CD player can display the tags. Much appreciated. ;)

Back