MP3 Player, Expandable storage, FM, FLAC... SanDisk Fuze?

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking for a new MP3 player. It doesn't have to be something currently sold but it does have to have the following:

FLAC support
FM radio
Expandable storage (SD would be amazing, microSD is good)

So far the player that I have found that best fits the bill is the SanDisk Fuze (not the Fuze+). What do you guys think? Am I looking over another (better?) option?

Yep, that's a potential solution, just one question: what's wrong with the Fuze+ since they are effectively the same devices? I mean, I know the body styling is different nowadays but overall they're basically the same hardware internally.

If you just want something that's an audio device only, then the Sansa Clip/Clip+ is generally the recommendation you'll find at most places, especially over at HeadFi.org. The Fuze/Fuze+ adds the larger screen and some video functionality - given it's a tiny damned screen, but it's capable of displaying videos when you get 'em encoded for that device.

In terms of strictly audio playback, and considering the battery life and the sound quality, the Sansa Clip/Clip+ is nearly untouchable and very highly recommended by almost anybody that owns one (I've had one in the past, not presently, an original Clip and I had Rockbox on it). That would still be my own recommended device for strictly audio playback.

I'm not a fan of the touch interface on the Fuze+ because I am getting it for work and my fingers will be gloved and potentially dirty. The Clip was also recommended to me but it seems something with a screen is better for playlists and the like.

Cowon J3 is another option, albeit in a different price bracket. I have been exceedingly happy with mine, although the fuze/clip is probably a better option on a budget or for gym usage.

I'm not a fan of the touch interface on the Fuze+ because I am getting it for work and my fingers will be gloved and potentially dirty. The Clip was also recommended to me but it seems something with a screen is better for playlists and the like.

Ok, so the original Fuze then as you're already looking at, no touch-functionality, it's hard buttons - that wheel is mechanical and actually spins as a control, it's not like an iPod touch wheel.

And the Clip/Clip+ do have screens, yanno. :)

Ok, so the original Fuze then as you're already looking at, no touch-functionality, it's hard buttons - that wheel is mechanical and actually spins as a control, it's not like an iPod touch wheel.

And the Clip/Clip+ do have screens, yanno. :)

Oh. For some reason I thought only the Clip+ did. What's the difference between the Clip series and the Fuze series?

A picture is worth 1,000 words, or so they say:

sansamain.jpg

Size, basically. The Clip/Clip+ is about 2/3rds the size of the Fuze. Same form factor, controls, just a bit smaller, and the headphone jack is placed in a different position (sticks out the right side on the Clip/Clip+, top on the Fuze.

As for the displays, this one is a bit better:

sansamain.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the Fuze is capable of video playback on that screen since it's a more capable device, but encoding videos for it is a bit tricky. SanDisk does have this "media converter" thing but it's a piece of shit, really. The Clip/Clip+ basically provide enough of a display to see the song titles, playlist info, that sort of thing.

The audio quality is pretty much the same between the Clip/Clip+ and the Fuze, although a lot of people at HeadFi.org swear by the original Clip as being "better" overall. You'd have to decide that for yourself in testing I suppose. But size is the biggest difference between Clip/Clip+ and Fuze - and of course the Clips have clips. :D

Also, as mentioned, the wheel on the Fuze spins - it's not a touch-surface controller, you spin it literally and press it at the points where the playback symbols are. The Clip/Clip+ are static controls, push buttons where each of the symbols appears; it doesn't "spin" like the Fuze controller does. All the models do have a rather serious "click" feel when you get the buttons pressed, however, so you know you got it.

good choice. Everytime they pop up on woot I grab one.

Back