Mp3 file changed to layer 1 won't play anymore?

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
Some of my MP3 files both pro and non pro format have mysteriously changed to layer 1 and Winamp 276 yes I know its old but has always worked without any issue and supports the Thompson mp3pro plugin. Now some of my files have changed to layer 1. I did not do anything tried using nero but it won't recognize layer one. I downloaded mp3gain and it informs me that the files are layer 1 not three. These are legitimate rips from CDs that I own. WTF is going on here? even the normal version nonpro are layer 1. my Moto g plus can't even play them... I have never seen this ever before. Help anyone?

Where were they stored? Where they uploaded to a cloud then downloaded (DL)?
Possible an App changed them?

Never on the cloud only on my home server which is windows 7. Only program I ever used was Nero encode to make non pro versions for my phone. Even the same songs on my Moto G plus 5 phone were changed. I just went to my old moto e phone and I tried the files on that and so far their okay but that phone is not sim enabled only on my wifi. The only other program I have ever used is PLEX and its a cross platform server for multi-media but the old moto e was never connected to plex, you don't suppose Plex had something to do with this?

when transfering the data from my old phone it no longer plays on my pc that tells me something on the pc is modifying the files I have disabled malware bytes and uninstalled Plex left windows defender. and that will be next.. don't want mp3s being picked up as malware but then it should have been quarantined what a PIA

Nothing even with defender turned off and malware bytes disabled still changing files or meta data or something i don't have a clue. Some sort of windows DRM ? but why some files and not others most came off original cds. This is on an 8.1 laptop, a windows 7 home destkop and a brand spanking new Surface go...... not just one machine. This has to be some windows update bs like file deletion screwups. All Ms will do is want to reinstall windows but three different machines. I don't have eternity to screw with this shit. I'll bet money this is some draconian DRM crap. Anybody out there that has had this happen please info. 5000 songs are only surviving on a cheap 64gb sd card in a cheap 100 usd phone.....

Nothing even with defender turned off and malware bytes disabled still changing files or meta data or something i don't have a clue. Some sort of windows DRM ? but why some files and not others most came off original cds. This is on an 8.1 laptop, a windows 7 home destkop and a brand spanking new Surface go...... not just one machine. This has to be some windows update bs like file deletion screwups. All Ms will do is want to reinstall windows but three different machines. I don't have eternity to screw with this shit. I'll bet money this is some draconian DRM crap. Anybody out there that has had this happen please info. 5000 songs are only surviving on a cheap 64gb sd card in a cheap 100 usd phone.....
Best is to get a mac for your media needs. Even a second hand one. You'll thank me later.

No way will I get trapped in the Mac eco system. I build my own machines and upgrade my laptop. I won't touch a Mac with a ten foot pole. This is NOT a hardware issue..... PS I won't be thanking you later....

No way will I get trapped in the Mac eco system. I build my own machines and upgrade my laptop. I won't touch a Mac with a ten foot pole. This is NOT a hardware issue..... PS I won't be thanking you later....
It's an OS issue obviously. So stick with your windows problems then for all that I care LOL! I've never had any problems in the 'mac ecosystem' where with Windows it's an endless grief especially when it comes to audio.

It's an OS issue obviously. So stick with your windows problems then for all that I care LOL! I've never had any problems in the 'mac ecosystem' where with Windows it's an endless grief especially when it comes to audio.
Then it would make much more sense to suggest installing linux distro instead. At work macs seem to have the most problems. In terms of hardware (everything breaks) and software (os updates breaks things).

Then it would make much more sense to suggest installing linux distro instead. At work macs seem to have the most problems. In terms of hardware (everything breaks) and software (os updates breaks things).
Heh, I find that hard to believe. Hardware and software related problems dropped to a fraction in our company after ditching Windows PC:s. In the past 7 years of using Macs I've had to 'fix things' only three times. First time I broke the OS myself because I was still stuck to Windows frame of thinking. Second time I joined the beta tester program and that caused me an issue I had to fix. Third time was a hardware failure after I dropped the MBP on concrete (well actually the bass speaker vibrated it off the table).

With Windows it was a problem after problem almost weekly. And like I said, the DSP hardware and software I use just malfunctions on Windows to the extent of having to reboot the hardware many times per day. On OSX everything just works.

The only problems related to OS upgrades have been having to purchase upgrades to some softwares - but that's not a breakage, it's designed to milk the users.

Back