Mozilla Reveals Firefox OS Developer Phone

HardOCP News

[H] News
Alright, which one of you guys asked for a Firefox phone? I had no idea that people were clamoring for a Firefox phone OS. :eek:

Mozilla said it won't be launching its own hardware to run the in-development Firefox OS when it's finished, but the company has just announced a "Developer Preview Phone" for putting the OS through its paces.

If I was given a choice between the Firefox OS and Ubuntu Mobile OS, I think I'd probably use the Ubuntu Mobile OS instead. It looks more promising.

will the phone OS be updating itself every other week to a brand "new" version as well?

will the phone OS be updating itself every other week to a brand "new" version as well?

Good news is this. Every standard desire feature is an "extension".....bad news being things like the "Phone Extension", "Email Extension", "Browser Extension", and "SMS Extension will all break on each and every update for no reason other than the version checker trips.

Good news is this. Every standard desire feature is an "extension".....bad news being things like the "Phone Extension", "Email Extension", "Browser Extension", and "SMS Extension will all break on each and every update for no reason other than the version checker trips.

And, those extensions like Firefox ones will probably have memory leaks or cause instability to the OS itself like the browser.

Something tells me the phone battery life's going to be abysmal.

If I was given a choice between the Firefox OS and Ubuntu Mobile OS, I think I'd probably use the Ubuntu Mobile OS instead. It looks more promising.

I have to admit, I'm a little bit more interested to see where Maemo -> MeeGo -> Jolla winds up going.

For now I'm OK with Android though.

Didn't Apple sue some little company a while ago for having a similar design? Rounded rectangle, single round button below screen, grid of icons, 4 quick access icons at the bottom with the phone icon first, mail icon second and web browser third?

I'm not on Apple's side with this, but doesn't Mozilla have any original ideas? Even Microsoft didn't seem to have much trouble coming up with something newer and more improved then the decades old Palm design Apple ripped off.

Didn't Apple sue some little company a while ago for having a similar design? Rounded rectangle, single round button below screen, grid of icons, 4 quick access icons at the bottom with the phone icon first, mail icon second and web browser third?

I'm not on Apple's side with this, but doesn't Mozilla have any original ideas? Even Microsoft didn't seem to have much trouble coming up with something newer and more improved then the decades old Palm design Apple ripped off.

That crossed my mind but I didn't want to start another "Apple wasn't first" shit fest on the forum. Even if the icon wasn't round, it's still the same old same old. At least Microsoft can come up with something original. Windows Phone OS 6, 6.5, 7 and 8 all looked different from iOS and Android (though one could argue that Windows 6 and 6.5 was not touch-friendly, but stylus-friendly).

Is there any other way one can make a touchscreen phone that stands apart from iOS's design?

That crossed my mind but I didn't want to start another "Apple wasn't first" shit fest on the forum. Even if the icon wasn't round, it's still the same old same old. At least Microsoft can come up with something original. Windows Phone OS 6, 6.5, 7 and 8 all looked different from iOS and Android (though one could argue that Windows 6 and 6.5 was not touch-friendly, but stylus-friendly).

Is there any other way one can make a touchscreen phone that stands apart from iOS's design?

You could make a Bash-only command line phone. That would stand apart.

sudo phone -dial -contacts -Steve

You could make a Bash-only command line phone. That would stand apart.

sudo phone -dial -contacts -Steve

Screw that. Make it so you can dial on the Firefox phone remotely through your Android phone.

The more updates the better. it shows that they are improving their products and dealing with security holes.

As long as there is a way to tell it only to update when connected to WiFi that is.

Zarathustra[H];1039540433 said:
The more updates the better. it shows that they are improving their products and dealing with security holes.

As long as there is a way to tell it only to update when connected to WiFi that is.

Yeah, at least the continuous updates say they're fixing their products. Some software don't even get that kind of updates on a consistent basis, unless it's emergency patch to fix a security hole or similar.

Even Google Chrome has a similar continuous updates. Microsoft Windows as well with their "Tuesday updates" each month.

Adobe... /headdesk.

pretty much everything that can be said has been said already here. mozilla summed up in one thread. ouch.

Apple lawyers probably have the their paperwork ready for when Firefox starts putting out the first units.

Everyone has abandoned their core mission to try to get into the mobile devices market which will at least plateau soon if now crash somewhat. Brilliant.

Back