Mozilla Provides Glimpse at Futuristic 'Seabird' Concept Phone

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Mozilla Labs unveiled a concept phone this week that piques the interest of many, but will probable never see production. Incorporating popular feedback from the Mozilla community, the phone has the aura of the future in phone applications and style.

Pretty great ideas, would love to start seeing them actually included in phones. Most of them seem feasible, and we'll probably see them rolled out individually. Some of them will be accepted by the public and some won't, but they all look cool!

Looks spiffy..... but that battery better be something else or if you turn 1/2 the stuff that phone has on, It will have about 10 min of life..... or explode.

I approve of it being Android based!!! But yeah, pretty cool features especially that IR keyboard.

Looks spiffy..... but that battery better be something else or if you turn 1/2 the stuff that phone has on, It will have about 10 min of life..... or explode.

Yea that sucker is going to explode! Nice idea but unless you want a nuke battery it's not going to happen.

The IR keyboard is something that is doable today. Most phones even have basically everything you need to do it. Many years ago a friend of mine was working for Nokia RnD and suggested theyd start adding it as a feature. Long story short, they said no.

Why the hell would I want a cumbersome mouse set up for a phone screen when there is multitouch and why would I want to have to hunch over a table to type on a stupid keyboard when i could just use Swype?

Why the hell would I want a cumbersome mouse set up for a phone screen when there is multitouch and why would I want to have to hunch over a table to type on a stupid keyboard when i could just use Swype?

Swype is great, but it still gets its ass handed to it by a qwerty keyboard. Especially for things like URLs or email addresses or anything that isn't a word in the dictionary. Frankly, it also sucks for short words or ambiguous words (such as "for" vs. "four" - they swype the same way, and it seems to just pick one at random as far as I can tell)

The mouse thing was weird and doesn't seem very useful, but having a bluetooth headset built into the phone like that? Genius.

my guess is it has both..

kendrak one of the nice advantages is that it would have wireless charging.. so even with poor battery life odds are you will be near a plug when using most of those features..

Wonder why they are using miniUSB instead of micro? I got bored around that time did they explain why you need dual projectors? Since the projector would have an led light I would just put the projector on the back side and use it for the flash also, looking forward seems to make more sense anyways. I guess if it was on an inductive charger you couldn't use the projector while it charges.

Sirmonkey - I'm guessing wireleass charging would mean indusctive which means you would need a special mat that you put it on so it would be much less common than having mini (or like I said more likely micro) usb plug around, but it has that also so you have that advantage. Also when its on the mat it would be harder to use probably than if it was on a cable that you could extend out.

I really like to projector concepts.. cant really image how much of a pain in the ass it will be to initiate all that crap unless it can read your mind..

Wonder why they are using miniUSB instead of micro? I got bored around that time did they explain why you need dual projectors? Since the projector would have an led light I would just put the projector on the back side and use it for the flash also, looking forward seems to make more sense anyways. I guess if it was on an inductive charger you couldn't use the projector while it charges.

Why don't you actually watch the video and find out?

even if it doesnt see the light of day, the innovations and ideas they have come up with on this phone is genius and truly thinking outside the box. I hope all of these other companys will follow suit and offer more ideas like that.

I'm pretty sure this phone would be the first to truly be labeled an "iPhone killer." The dual projectors... *droool..*

I think this is great. its about time some people starting thinking about features for a mobile phone that aren't simply ripoffs of what you can do with a laptop/netbook

Now that is what I call a phone! That phone looks amazing to any techie guy/girl out there haha.

Back