Mozilla Postpones Firefox 3.6.x - 7.0 Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
Mozilla's release manager Christian Legnitto made a blog post announcing the postponement of the previously scheduled 3.6-to-7.0.1 advertised update.

The organization had planned to flip a switch so that users ofFirefox 3.6 would be prompted to get the latest version, Firefox 7.0.1. That change that would get a large fraction of people onto Mozilla's rapid-release process--Firefox 3.6 was the second most widely used version of the browser in September, and Mozilla expects the upgrade prompt to encourage a lot of people to make the move.

I've already made the switch, but I can't help but feel like 3.6's UI layout is better in places than 4+. Not surprised so many are reluctant to upgrade, and I don't think a prompt will be enough to get everyone.

The day 3.6 version (or whatever they want to call the version of Firefox that isn't a constantly breaking beta rushed out the door) stops being supported is the day I stop using Firefox. If Mozilla wants to be a knock off of Chrome then I might as well just use Chrome.

I've already made the switch, but I can't help but feel like 3.6's UI layout is better in places than 4+. Not surprised so many are reluctant to upgrade, and I don't think a prompt will be enough to get everyone.

You can totally customize the layout of FF4+. Try checking it out, you can make custom buttons for things and place them wherever you'd like.

There's another reason behind people not upgrading. I have seen many older versions of Linux have 3.6 installed as part of the distro, but any update attempts just install the additional program, and doesn't remove the old version or the shortcut. I couldn't count how many systems I've built for testing in our lab that have both 3.5/3.6 and 4+ on them, yet the default is the old version. (Our software is supported on 5+, and doesn't work right with 3.5 or 3.6, so we've run into many problems with this.) If they come out with a proper Linux updater, rather than leaving the old version in place, the numbers would probably change. It wouldn't be a lot, considering Linux isn't a big part of the market, but it would probably be a couple % points.

Ditto. I install 3.6 everywhere because there are still things that aren't working on the Chrome copy-cat versions like GPU acceleration on my laptop and text entry fields like this one on my desktop. There is an annoying shadow of the cursor that pops up several times and obfuscates the text. Not to mention add-ons that do not update as fast as the freight train. I want updates, not upgrades, and I will switch to Opera when they drop 3.6 without coming up with another LTS(Long Term Support) solution.

I have used FF 5... 6....and 7 and all of them have been losing forgetting usernames and passwords randomly and is an issue that a lot of people have after searching the mozilla forums.
When they fix that I mightconsider using FF 7 again but not before. Been back on FF 3.6 for the last week and it runs smooth as using exactl the same add-ons as I always have, adblock+ and adblock pop-up add-on

: (
Firefox is losing ground.

I'd rather have Opera than Chrome. I don't get why people like it, other than the fact it has the name "Google".

Getting sick of FF changing shit around all the time. Every time a new version comes out some plugin, customization gets wrecked. Too many cooks in the kitchen are spoiling FF. Chrome sux. Time for a new browser.

It's true.
Like, there should just be Firefox 4 right now TBH.
Add ons that work with FF4 don't get broken though these updates though, that's a good thing.

Chrome is pretty good.. I have only a few minor gripes with it. FF used to be the clear choice but not so anymore. My impression is that the project has lost its way somewhere. It's Chrome for me - and maybe I'll give Opera a try too just to see if I like it.

3.6 works well and plays nice with high DPI scaling in windows. Also the global page zoom settings no longer work right in versions 4 and higher. Only reason why I am still using FF over Opera is Adblock, Better Privacy, and No-Script. Also, I love the all text buttons option and a real menu bar in 3.6. Looks like I will be migrating to another browser soon. The developers are forgetting what made FF so attractive to begin with...a barebones lightweight browser that was highly customizable. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You guys know you can run multiple versions at the same time, right?

I'm still using 3.6 as my default browser, but have 4+ (updated to 7.0.1) installed alongside it with a separate profile (and a different shortcut icon) that can be run concurrently to evaluate its development and make a gradual transition.

To run multiple versions simultaneously:

1) Install the new version to a different folder, but don't launch it after setup completes (or it will use your default profile).
2) Add -P to its shortcut target ("C:\...\firefox.exe" -P), then launch it to access the profile manager.
3) Create a new profile, or take note of the name of an existing profile to use, then exit.
4) Modify the shortcut again with the line shown below, replacing 'profilename' with the name of your new profile (case-sensitive):

-P profilename -no-remote

Now, when launching that shortcut, the new Firefox version will use the specified profile, and the '-no-remote' switch will allow it run alongside other versions, but it won't allow new instances of itself, so don't add '-no-remote' to whatever version you've set as default.

Biggest bitch I got about post 3.6 versions is they removed the tag to change how long your history stays, like I want every website I visited remembered until FF decides I have too large a history. And reducing the number isn't much better since it forgets even recently viewed pages.

Mozilla needs to chill out already. Seriously, they have had like 4 major version releases in the last 2 months, and nothing about the app has changes as far as I can tell.. except for the fact that many of my plugins do not work in the current version. I am not sure what it is they are trying to do, but it is sort of pissing me off..

Get the add on that lets you install add ons even if they aren't compatible.

Mozilla needs to chill out already. Seriously, they have had like 4 major version releases in the last 2 months, and nothing about the app has changes as far as I can tell.. except for the fact that many of my plugins do not work in the current version. I am not sure what it is they are trying to do, but it is sort of pissing me off..

This, I've about gave up on firefox, been using it since 2004. I find myself using chrome more and more, it just works for me

Back