Mozilla Launches New Brand Identity

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
After a seven-month search, Mozilla has finally decided on a new logo. I think it is the only sane choice out of the contenders.

Our logo with its nod to URL language reinforces that the Internet is at the heart of Mozilla. We are committed to the original intent of the link as the beginning of an unfiltered, unmediated experience into the rich content of the Internet. The font for the wordmark and accompanying copy lines is Zilla. Created for us by Typotheque in the Netherlands, Zilla is free and open to all.

Doesn't get as uncreative as that. At least the new logo is the least worst from the last time.

The whole rebranding effort and website design looks like a bunch of Fine Arts majors took over the company.

Stupid new logo that's worse than the old one: Check
Annoying loud music in the video: Check
Meaningless content in the video: Check

Definately on a good track.
I think it's safe to say that Mozilla are trying to achieve some kind of sjw utopia as far as their brand identity goes. But as long as their browser is the best on the market they can have a giant dick as their logo for all I care. I'll continue to use it.

Nothing was wrong with the fox going around the world, why screw with it? Brand identity can be worth more then a company in the long term.

Are they trying to make a better password with that logo, replacing a couple of letters with symbols? Funny thing is that most people now only type in the www.whatever.com part of an address anymore. Every site should automatically do https now. Too bad their name wasn't Mosilla. Then they could use the s:// in their logo and show how secure the browser is.

Are they trying to make a better password with that logo, replacing a couple of letters with symbols? Funny thing is that most people now only type in the www.whatever.com part of an address anymore. Every site should automatically do https now. Too bad their name wasn't Mosilla. Then they could use the s:// in their logo and show how secure the browser is.

Most users won't bother even typing "www." into the adress bar

Remember that this is the Mozilla logo (aka the one that used to be the T-rex looking dinosaur, ) itself, NOT a change to the logos of Mozilla backed software such as Firefox and Thunderbird - those logos will remain as they are. As for the Mozilla company logo itself, I think its a good choice. Mozilla has (rightfully, in my opinion) put effort into the brand's relationship to a certain vision for the Internet, specifically with regards to openness (source, protocols, universal accessibility, standards, etc) and privacy (freedom from ads, data mining, tracking, surveillance, etc.. be it by government or corporate interests). The new logo cements that whole focus it seems and visually seems heavily tied to "old school Internet values" mentioned previously. Most companies periodically update their logo be it in larger or smaller ways and Mozilla has been quite some time since a significant overhaul, so I don't see an issue with this. I'd rather they take the time to implement something like this after multiple rounds of feedback as opposed to say... simply slapping every "web 2.0 cliche" on like many companies did a few years back. All in all it doesnt' seem so bad.

That's what I meant when I wrote that. Should of explained it better;). The others are still very bad.

Back