Mozilla: Google Has Made YouTube Slower on Edge and Firefox

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Google’s new design for YouTube reportedly loads up to five times slower on Edge and Firefox than on Chrome. Being that a deprecated API is involved, many believe the company is intentionally stifling its competitors. Firefox and Edge users may revert to the original design by installing certain extensions.

In a thread on Twitter, Mozilla's Technical Program Manager has stated that YouTube's Polymer redesign relies heavily on the deprecated Shadow DOM v0 API, which is only available in Chrome. This in turn makes the site around five times slower on competing browsers such as Microsoft Edge and Mozila Firefox.

I saw this earlier, thought "OK, I'll test it..." and I use Firefox ESR 52.9.0. I have a great number of addons/extensions already because of course Firefox allows/allowed for that level, and I stick with the older ESR 52 release 'cause most all of the addons/extensions I use no longer function on the newer versions after v57, no thanks to Mozilla. So I loaded the YouTube Classic addon, loaded the YouTube main page, voila, way waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy faster. It doesn't double load the page like it did prior to adding that extension, so I disabled the extension, restarted the browser, and did the same main page load - double loaded, slower, less efficient.

Upon enabling that addon once more I decided to load a video in a new tab and voila, it loaded damned faster, way waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy faster than normal.

So yeah, Google, about that shadow API thing, what the fuck are you people doing? o_O:cautious::rolleyes:

I thought Google only wants the best for us, that's why they 'curate' information and tell us what's credible and what's "fake news". I find all these suggestion of Google acting in an underhanded, unethical manner to be highly suspect. <sarc off>

So yeah, Google, about that shadow API thing, what the fuck are you people doing? o_O:cautious::rolleyes:
Becoming an all encompassing Googlopoly.
Creating the Alphabet Matrix
We are the Google, You will be Alphabetized. Resistance is futile.
They're trying to bring forth the Googleverse.
They're taking over all that is popular, and making it function far better, or only on their wares so that we abandon all others so they can usher in an all powerful Googleocracy.

wait... are you telling me that a company.. might make its own products work better together then when using a competitors product??

someone quick.. get me my fainting couch

:rolleyes:

wait... are you telling me that a company.. might make its own products work better together then when using a competitors product??

someone quick.. get me my fainting couch

:rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with that, but when such a company actively does something that intentionally causes competing products to suffer performance loss or hamper it in any respects for those competitors to make use of, that's when it crosses over into anti-competitive practices and it becomes a serious issue which is potentially what's happening here.

There's nothing wrong with that, but when such a company actively does something that intentionally causes competing products to suffer performance loss or hamper it in any respects for those competitors to make use of, that's when it crosses over into anti-competitive practices and it becomes a serious issue which is potentially what's happening here.

You mean like nVidia and Gameworks?

I dont care about firefox vs chrome, does it load 5 times slower than it used to? Or is chrome just 5 times faster now? That is a major distinction.

I dont care about firefox vs chrome, does it load 5 times slower than it used to? Or is chrome just 5 times faster now? That is a major distinction.

Excellent point.

Frankly it’s fair game as far as I’m concerned, be better IE/FF.

Hi All

As I don't use Chrome I'm glad I don't use YouTube either.

Last edited:
Make the competition look slow and.... profit.

Now where have I seen this before...... hmmm.

I saw this earlier, thought "OK, I'll test it..." and I use Firefox ESR 52.9.0. I have a great number of addons/extensions already because of course Firefox allows/allowed for that level, and I stick with the older ESR 52 release 'cause most all of the addons/extensions I use no longer function on the newer versions after v57, no thanks to Mozilla. So I loaded the YouTube Classic addon, loaded the YouTube main page, voila, way waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy faster. It doesn't double load the page like it did prior to adding that extension, so I disabled the extension, restarted the browser, and did the same main page load - double loaded, slower, less efficient.

Upon enabling that addon once more I decided to load a video in a new tab and voila, it loaded damned faster, way waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy faster than normal.

This. I'm so glad ESR exists, along with Waterfox (yes it supports most classic addons/extensions) and the Pale Moon / Basilisk projects.

I am sorry, what is the issue here?

I use edge as my browser. I just brought up youtube. First time the main page took about 1 - 2 seconds to load. Every video I clicked on loaded instantly. Went back to home page and it loaded instantly. So I don't see any issues here with loading.

That said it could be my connection. I work in the office of an ISP. So I have a 1Gbps right into our core router before I reach our peer site 1 hop away where we have a direct peer agreement Google. But it sounded like the issue wasn't due to transmit but was how the browser had to struggle trying to render the page.

Google’s new design for YouTube reportedly loads up to five times slower on Edge and Firefox than on Chrome. Being that a deprecated API is involved, many believe the company is intentionally stifling its competitors. Firefox and Edge users may revert to the original design by installing certain extensions.

In a thread on Twitter, Mozilla's Technical Program Manager has stated that YouTube's Polymer redesign relies heavily on the deprecated Shadow DOM v0 API, which is only available in Chrome. This in turn makes the site around five times slower on competing browsers such as Microsoft Edge and Mozila Firefox.

Sounds to me that it's YouTube's decision that has brought this about and not Google's. Now maybe Google had a hand in convincing Youtube that this was good for them, but there could be truth in that as well.

Ahh yes, I get it, both Google and Youtube are subsidiaries of Alphabet

Last edited:
Sounds to me that it's YouTube's decision that has brought this about and not Google's. Now maybe Google had a hand in convincing Youtube that this was good for them, but there could be truth in that as well.

I know I'll regret saying this but, you do realize of course that Google owns YouTube so, in effect, it could just be called GooTube for all anyone would really care. Even in spite of Google supposedly letting YouTube operate in a separate entity sense of things, I'm pretty sure things are still rather tightly controlled considering the importance of YouTube to Google in this day and age.

I know I'll regret saying this but, you do realize of course that Google owns YouTube so, in effect, it could just be called GooTube for all anyone would really care. Even in spite of Google supposedly letting YouTube operate in a separate entity sense of things, I'm pretty sure things are still rather tightly controlled considering the importance of YouTube to Google in this day and age.

I just corrected my previous post but no, at the time I didn't realize that Alphabet owned both Google and Youtube.

Chrome is slower on some procesors and edge, firefock is fastest. internet shuts dow on firefock some times. true youtobe is now slower.

What's wrong Google? Can't win on your own strengths anymore?

It appears as though they are! It seems the Firefux and Edge development teams decided to zig and both Chrome and Youtube development teams decided to zag! There is no law stating browser developers must always tack in unison and there are remedies for the non-Chrome browsers- it's not as if YouTube is shutting them out.

Why shouldn't one Alphabet property be built to function better with another Alphabet property? Why should Alphabet's property development be dictated by two other browsers/companies who, together, do not make up a majority of the usage?

All I hear is a lot of, "Mommy?! They won't play their game MY way!" and "They made a car that's faster than ours on THEIR track!"

If Mozilla and Microsoft don't like it, they have a few options-
  1. Keep their product the same and continue on their own path. Hoping that YouTube sees a falloff in views that would cause them to change.
  2. Change their product to be more compatible with other services on the web.
  3. Make it easier for their user base to decide if they wish to install extensions to be compatible with various online services as they are being accessed.

If you don't like it, you have several options as well-
  1. Stay with what you have.
  2. Install applicable extensions for your browser or switch to Chrome to speed up YouTube.
  3. Move on to another video venue.
#Freedom

EDIT: I wanted to note, this is almost part and parcel the same thing I said back in the days when IE was the dominant browser and it was the likes of Mozilla and Google having a similar whine and cheese fest. It's called competition for a reason. Innovate, adapt or die!

Last edited:
I was unable to replicate this until tinkering around with Firefox.

If your YouTube experience is the same on Chrome and Firefox and you would like to try out the new and deliberately hampered version on Firefox

Open NoScript
Temporarily Allow GoogleTagManager.com

To reverse, mark GoogleTagManager.com as untrusted again.

Big difference between making your site run faster on your browser and making your site run slower on someone else's browser.

I was unable to replicate this until tinkering around with Firefox.

If your YouTube experience is the same on Chrome and Firefox and you would like to try out the new and deliberately hampered version on Firefox

Open NoScript
Temporarily Allow GoogleTagManager.com

To reverse, mark GoogleTagManager.com as untrusted again.

Big difference between making your site run faster on your browser and making your site run slower on someone else's browser.

But that isn't supposed to be the cause. It is supposed to be that Google is still supporting some standard that everyone else dropped some time ago and as a result of them deciding to use this old standard throughout YouTube any browser that is more up to date on following HTML5 standards should be having a few seconds of trouble trying to convert old legacy code into the new standard. Will agree about what the difference between making it better on your platform, vs making it worse on others. That is a big difference. And in this case Google made an API that only works with Chrome and then coded YouTube to work with that meaning that they are trying to make YouTube be a chrome only site.

Hmn, i'm on firefox esr, no problems with youtube being slow, it loads instantly as always, new youtube tabs load instantly. I have 100 tabs or more open 24/7 in my browser, currently have 16 youtube tabs open.

Back