Mozilla FireFox!

ProXie

Limp Gawd
Well I just downloaded the newest version of FireFox and its pretty damn nice. Really kicks IE in the face. I'm trying to get my stubborn cousin to atleast go to the site but apparently anything I suggest is wrong. Post why it is superiour to IE and save this poor soul. And btw a lot of people may post about Opera but Opera is not free so thats settled right there.

Whats it matter if Opera is free or not? Its not like you have to pay for it to use it. You only have to pay for it if you want to get rid of this little banner that you barely even notice. Nearly every website out there has banners so most people are used to it.

I've been using IE6 lately myself. I also like FireFox and Opera. I like the GUI of FireFox better then Opera but Opera has more features and settings.

I personally have never used Opera due to the fact I thought you had to pay upfront for some sort of license. Never knew that you can use it for free with a small banner of some sort. Thanks for the info.

ProXie said:
Well I just downloaded the newest version of FireFox and its pretty damn nice. Really kicks IE in the face. I'm trying to get my stubborn cousin to atleast go to the site but apparently anything I suggest is wrong. Post why it is superiour to IE and save this poor soul. And btw a lot of people may post about Opera but Opera is not free so thats settled right there.
Good to hear that you've stepped away from the "dark side" :p

One of Firefox's most appealing features is the significant quantity of open-source browser addins available for Firefox due to its easy-to-use API. Installing these extentions is easy, and can improve your Firefox experience immensely. Two good extention sites to start at are Official Mozilla Extention Site and MozDev

Due to the open-source nature of Firefox, users may recompile it to run more efficiently on their processor class. Optimized builds greatly boost speed and efficiently, especially on SSE2 enabled systems. For a good starting point in optimized builds, see here.

Firefox also supports custom skins, also called browser themes, to make the look and feel of Firefox how you want it. Unlike IE, Firefox supports a wide range of visual styles, and you're free to select whichever one you prefer. You may obtain them for free from the Official Mozilla Theme Site.

For additional questions, see the Firefox FAQ

Welcome to Firefox. :)

The extensions seem to grow by the day. The appear daily, and just when you think you have all the ones you need, another "must have" shows up. My latest addition was one called Gmail Notifier. I find these extensions to be very addictive. Somewhere below is a thread about them.

Anyway, Firefox is worth the switch even if it worked exactly like IE because it is safer...much safer.

Fortunately, it works so much better than IE that Microsoft will never catch up. :)

You also get to experience the 1% of sites on the net that use very pretty CSS effects that IE doesn't render, like a lot of the stuff on Eric Meyer's website.

Also, full PNG support.

The above two really aren't winning arguments, but they're some of my favorites because I'm a whore for that kind of stuff. :D

Then there's less vulnerabilities (exposed), nice extensibility, I find better customization (like with about:config and plugins).

I have nbeen using Firefox/Mozilla for a while.

The best argument.. TABBED Browsing baby. Yes even in Firefox :)

Open firefox and immediatly i have 6 tabs to the sites i frequent :)

Great stuff. And the pop up blocker prior to SP2 was a win. Now they are about the same :)

Smaller footprint than IE.
FASTER than IE

I'm checking out firefox, and liking it... Still doesn't work in a corporate environment (MS sharepoint, go figure), and I don't like how technet (again, MS) looks like ass in Firefox.

M11, your optimized link is screwed... http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/

mosin, I didn't find that thread, and it's probably not in OS anyways. Is there a thread going on good extensions?

Is there an extension for spell checking like IEspell?

Here's a link to the thread where I posted the extensions that are on my rig. They all work great. Since then I have added Gmail Notifier and a couple of others. One is called TabX. It simply puts an X on each tab...They are easier to close with that extension. Another is Session Saver. With it the browser opens to the same page, or pages, as when you closed it.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=812584

Here's a link to all the Firefox Extension links.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=77081

mosin said:
Here's a link to the thread where I posted the extensions that are on my rig. They all work great. Since then I have added Gmail Notifier and a couple of others. One is called TabX. It simply puts an X on each tab...They are easier to close with that extension. Another is Session Saver. With it the browser opens to the same page, or pages, as when you closed it.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=812584

Here's a link to all the Firefox Extension links.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=77081
You know if you middle-click a tab it closes it by default, right?

Acceptable_Risk said:
You know if you middle-click a tab it closes it by default, right?
Not mine because my rig is configured to bring whatever is in the background to the front, depending on the number of times I middle-click. One brings up MBM dashboard, two brings up Winamp, etc. That is why I needed the extension.

Yeah it takes me like 1-3 seconds longer to load sites on IE than it does on firefox. Just set the bottom line that firefox>ie.

My Enabled Extensions: (26)

Adblock 0.5.2.039 - Filters ads from web-pages
Add Bookmark Here 0.5 - A convenient way to add bookmarks.
BugMeNot 0.6 - Bypass compulsory web registration with the context menu via www.bugmenot.com.
Copy Plain Text 0.2 - Copies text without formatting
DictionarySearch 0.6.3 - Looks up selected word in an online dictionary
Download Manager Tweak 0.5.2 - A modification of the Firefox download manager that changes its appearance and allows it to be opened in a separate window, a new tab, or the sidebar.
DownloadWith 0.0.7+ - DownloadWith is Mozilla/Firefox extension to download files with external programs like wget, prozilla, Downloader for X, Download Accelerator Plus and GetRight.
Enhanced History Manager 0.4.1 - Flexible History Management
Flat Bookmark Editing 0.6 - Edit bookmarks in the bookmark manager, without opening the properties window.
Gmail Notifier 0.3.9 - A notifier for Gmail accounts
Image Zoom 0.1.7 - Adds zoom functionality for images
Launchy 3.3.0 - Open links and mailto's with external applications like Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, Outlook etc
ListZilla 0.4 - Outputs a list of either extensions or themes to a text, vB code, or HTML file.
OpenBook 1.1.0 - Allows for customization of the Add Bookmark dialog
Paste and Go 0.4 - Lets you paste an URL from the clipboard and directly load it.
Sort Bookmarks 0.5.1 - This extension sorts your bookmarks alphabetically.
SpellBound 0.6.0 - Composer Spell Checker ported to Firefox
SpiderZilla 1.06 - Spiderzilla is an easy-to-use website mirror utility , based on Httrack from www.httrack.com . It allows you to download a World Wide website from the Internet to a local directory,building recursively all structures, getting html, images, and other files from the server to your computer. Links are rebuiltrelatively so that you can freely browse to the local site (works with any browser). You can mirror several sites together so that you can jump from one to another. You can, also, update an existing mirror site, or resume an interrupted download.
Super DragAndGo 0.2.4 - Drag a link or anything like a uri (e.g. "abc.com" ), and throw it to anywhere blank on the webpage to open the it in a new tab.
Tab X 0.3 - Adds a close button to each of the browser tabs
Tabbrowser Extensions 1.11.2004082801 - Improves tabbed browsing.
TextZoom 1.6.0 - Override the default text-zoom level.
Toolbar Enhancements 0.16 - Adds various toolbar buttons and increases toolbar configurability
WeatherFox 0.4.8 - Get the weather in any toolbar or statusbar!
WindowsUpdate 0.7 - Adds Windows Update to the Firefox Tools menu.
Zoomy 1.1 - Toolbar buttons to change text size

Kevin003 said:
Holy jebus thats a lot of extensions :eek:
Not really. Not when you consider how seamless they are in their operation, and that they use no extra resources...that I can notice, anyway. One he mentioned that is great is SpellBound. It checks the spelling in forum posts, so we don't look quite so stupid. It's working because it caught your spelling of extensions which I missed when I read your post. After I started using it, I became aware of the number of typos that I actually make. :D

There were three in this post alone that were pointed out to me by SpellBound.

It is a very nice browser as an example look at cpu usage when the newegg ad with the scooter goes by for me FF is at 30% and IE at 35% not much, but it is consistent.

Also does anyone know how to make firefox view page source in notepad, I like the viewer that it uses with the syntax highlighting but I also like to be able to edit pages with out having to copy paste... I have looked and searched but I can't seem to find an extention that lets you change what program the source is viewed with.

I run Firefox without without a single extension. Honestly don't feel I need any bells and whistles.

the only one i use is web developer 0.8. it's pretty handy to have.. especially the resizing options :)

t_andrews said:
It is a very nice browser as an example look at cpu usage when the newegg ad with the scooter goes by for me FF is at 30% and IE at 35% not much, but it is consistent.

Also does anyone know how to make firefox view page source in notepad, I like the viewer that it uses with the syntax highlighting but I also like to be able to edit pages with out having to copy paste... I have looked and searched but I can't seem to find an extention that lets you change what program the source is viewed with.

Could write your own extention. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, though I am not a programmer in any way/shape/form so I can't say for sure.
http://extensions.roachfiend.com/howto.php

And since we're all pimping our extentions, I use;

Adblock
Tab Browser Preferences
Nuke Anything
TabScroller
Download With
and TabX

Others I've played with, but are not "must-haves";

Bandwith Tester
Secure Password Generator
ChatZilla

t_andrews said:
Here it's 11% Firefox and 9% IE. Anyway, a couple of percent seems to be the difference in CPU usage. Considering what Firefox offers, that's nothing.

Lethal said:
I run Firefox without without a single extension. Honestly don't feel I need any bells and whistles.
Yes, you do. You just don't know it yet. ;)

mosin said:
Here it's 11% Firefox and 9% IE. Anyway, a couple of percent seems to be the difference in CPU usage. Considering what Firefox offers, that's nothing.

I also should mention that I am running the optimized version from the link above on the machine in the sig. Like others I have found some sites that do not load correctly in Firefox, but the features and ideas with Firefox outweigh using IE 95% of the time.

I will look into the API programming though, could be interesting...

Lethal said:
Seconded, Firefox does fine for me without any bells and whistles also :)

Back