Mozilla Firefox Celebrates 6 Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
It’s only been six years since Firefox came out? It sure seems like it has been around longer than that, doesn’t it?

It was Nov. 9, 2004, that Firefox 1.0 made its debut following Mozilla's own emergence several years previously to promote "openness, innovation and opportunity" on the Web. Firefox has since become the browser of choice for some 400 million people around the world, Mozilla said.

Because of what can be done with Firefox based on the voluminous addons and extensions, I still consider it to be the best overall browser out there. A few milliseconds in a specific benchmark mean Jack Freakin' Shit to me - there's nothing else that comes even close to the raw customization and functionality that Firefox offers.

'Nuff typed.

I remember using it pre-1.0, as were a lot of people on here. It took a while it seemed to hit the 1.0 mark.

Firefox is alright. IE9 is better. Chrome sucks.

Its so bad, it has just lost its niche.

IE is for everybody, chrome is for speed, opera is for the...cody types. Firfox used used to fill type 2, but now chrome has kind of replaced it. So they added a load of "features" which made it bloatier and bloatier. Needs to get back to its routes and stuff. When I was getting the secondary browser recently (never good to rely on one when making websites and such) I didn't even consider firefox. Infact I haven't for years.

I was a Mozilla user, and switched to Firefox in February or March of 2004 I think? I remember thinking that I'd rather stick with Mozilla, but it seemed like they were replacing it with Firefox, so I better just get used to it.

I still use Firefox. I think it's pretty darn refined. I don't think their target market is people looking for the slimmest, fastest browser anymore, rather they are after people looking for a full featured browser with lots of options.

I was a Mozilla user, and switched to Firefox in February or March of 2004 I think? I remember thinking that I'd rather stick with Mozilla, but it seemed like they were replacing it with Firefox, so I better just get used to it.

I still use Firefox. I think it's pretty darn refined. I don't think their target market is people looking for the slimmest, fastest browser anymore, rather they are after people looking for a full featured browser with lots of options.

As each day comes to an end, Chrome has more and more of the features of Firefox with its extensions, and still is faster. Chrome is replacing Firefox.

I used firefox 5 out of those 6 years, except for the last few months chrome has really won me over with bookmark syncing, send links to phone, and a much faster load time for flash videos.

I've been a Firefox user since 0.3 or 0.4 or so. I'm not sure if I could easily switch to another browser. The frequent pauses every 4 to 10 seconds in Firefox are getting really irritating, however.

Oddly enough, my keyboard and mouse (model) are about that old. I recently replaced both with different makes of them and have difficulty adjusting to them during intense gaming sessions, even after a few months of use. Hitting ` instead of 1, the curve of the key rows, the slightly different grip points on the mouse. This could take a while to relearn.

Good old Firefox, the browser I keep trying to leave but is always there waiting for me when I run back.

I have Opera (latest beta), Chrome, and IE9 and I've used them all at one time or another for a period of time but I always come back to Firefox for some reason. For me, there is no replacement yet, no matter how fast the other browsers are they just don't do it for me yet.

I remember using it pre-1.0, as were a lot of people on here. It took a while it seemed to hit the 1.0 mark.

Firefox is alright. IE9 is better. Chrome sucks.

IE9 is firefox's legacy...without firefox ms would have never had a reason to change msie

Hands down, the greatest browser ever made.

long live FF

Hip Hip Hooray!

I feels like it's been 6 years that ff3 has been out. Get 4.0 out already.

ff2 is still my favorite. It's so much faster than ff3....Nevertheless, I use ff3 for security....

Firefox's developer extensions are still superior to Chrome's, especially Firebug. Firebug > Webkit's developer mode.

If I wasn't a developer I'd probably use Chrome, it does feel a little faster.

good point, we would probably still have IE6 :eek:

Indeed and good on him for pointing it out. Personally I think that Firefox is hardly all that slow (people calling FF2 faster are basing it on nostalgia rather than facts) and it's looking like it will be a whole heck of a lot faster in fact and in feel with FF4.

But whether or not it is and whether or not Firefox ever hits that 25% global share mark people were predicting, its legacy is a competitive marketplace for browsers and a far more standards compliant web.

This is attributable to three things. The first is the Mozilla Foundation, who has made it a goal to make the web competitive (one they're still succeeding in), the second is Firefox the browser, and the third is the community.

Firefox in version 1.0 wasn't all that amazing, the community made it so through add-on development and through word of mouth and other efforts to make it more widely adopted, efforts which by any measure have been a huge success.

Firefox user for life.

No other browser comes close to accomplishing the same kind of usability and customization as Fx does.

Chrome can suck it.

And I'm celebrating no longer using Firefox until I can actually use it to browse again.

Its the only browser that refuses to connect to a website until it feels like it. I'll type in an address like www.hardocp.com, hit enter, and it sits there trying to connect. Meanwhile, IE, Opera, and Chrome all have it fully loaded and ready for me to read. I could probably read every page in every article in the archive in one of them before Firefox even loads the background to [H]'s news page.

And yes, I've even done this on a fresh reinstall with default settings. I've tried optimization, I've tried changing settings, nothing works.

No firefox for me. Kind of sad about it because I did like some of the add-ons.

Firefox all the way, I have tried Opera, Chrome and Safari but it's with Firefox that I stick with.

I use Firefox most of the time. Currently using IE because I am having crashes with Firefox 3.6.12 on 3 different machines. I wish they would get v4 done.

Happy b-day, FF! I remember when they were Firebird. Long live Mozilla! :cool:

I remember when Firebird was Phoenix. The name change to Firefox still irks me. It was supposed to be three suites - Firebird browser, Thunderbird email, and Sunbird calendar. But noooooooo, some stupid database group squawked and so they changed the name, again, for the second time after the Phoenix bios company squawked the first time about the browser having been named Phoenix. As if someone's going to confuse a browser with bios or a database app? I don't remember the bios company asking ME if they could use MY name, but hey, we mythical creatures don't have rights in the human world so who am I to complain.

Either way, it's a good browser and I use all the time. I just wish they'd update the Orbit theme to be compatible with 3.6.8. :(

I remember when Firebird was Phoenix. The name change to Firefox still irks me. It was supposed to be three suites - Firebird browser, Thunderbird email, and Sunbird calendar. But noooooooo, some stupid database group squawked and so they changed the name, again, for the second time after the Phoenix bios company squawked the first time about the browser having been named Phoenix. As if someone's going to confuse a browser with bios or a database app? I don't remember the bios company asking ME if they could use MY name, but hey, we mythical creatures don't have rights in the human world so who am I to complain.

Either way, it's a good browser and I use all the time. I just wish they'd update the Orbit theme to be compatible with 3.6.8. :(
Yeah, the lawyer/legal crap sux ... like you said, it's in different industry. But Mozilla probably didn't have the $ to go to court to fight for the "Firebird" name (and Phoenix before). Is that why your username incorporates "Phoenix"?

On a different note, I read that Firefox 4 beta 7 is much faster than 3.6.12. Can't wait 'til Jan. 2011 when FF 4 goes gold. :cool: Hopefully the schedule won't slip again. :eek:

Back