Mowing over high PPD folders from yesteryear

W.Feather and lassiterb , I'm steaming full speed at you! I can't seem to shake Choder and Xilikon though...If only I could afford a new GPU, and find one in stock!

Screenshot 2020-12-21 191740.png

My lord there are some names from the past in this one..... (I suppose mine too) fired up my GTX1080 SLI rig today.... needed a space heater... Time will tell how long it stays on

Started out with Dual P3 1GHz @ 1.1 and a Couple C2 600s @900 (under rated overclocker that one as good as the venerable Celery 300 @ 450)

I should probably update my sig, 2 of those 3 boxen are DOA, killed by years of overclocking and folding. I got tired of the big electric bills, an air conditioner that couldn't keep up, and stacks of dead hardware.

Last edited:
I still haven't heard anyone bring up some of the other whacko stuff we did..... along with that dual P3, I had two Athlon "pizza boxen" running under my bed. Some of us got around the breaker limitation by having a box or two in every room of our house.

http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content07/pizza-computer.jpg This is merely an example, not mine. I usually would skip the CD rom except for windows install, the PSU was outside the box, and I would cut a vent for the CPU cooler, and maybe, maybe if I had a spare, put in a fan to ventilate the box. No power switch, two wires to jumper a couple pins with a screwdriver as a power switch.... these things would get me something under 100 PPD, but at the time it was worth it.
pizza-computer.jpg

I remember Marty. What a guy!

I bought two complete boxen from Marty ready to plug in and start folding. They had everything except for a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Both caught fire and let out the magic smoke within 10 minutes of folding at home.

Not sure how old you're talking, but it's possible those were non active PFC PSUs and he flipped the switches to 220V to get around breaker limitations and sent them to you like that. I've never attempted that but it's possible that would work temporarily before the "undervoltage" caused them to flake out.

I still haven't heard anyone bring up some of the other whacko stuff we did..... along with that dual P3, I had two Athlon "pizza boxen" running under my bed. Some of us got around the breaker limitation by having a box or two in every room of our house.

http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content07/pizza-computer.jpg This is merely an example, not mine. I usually would skip the CD rom except for windows install, the PSU was outside the box, and I would cut a vent for the CPU cooler, and maybe, maybe if I had a spare, put in a fan to ventilate the box. No power switch, two wires to jumper a couple pins with a screwdriver as a power switch.... these things would get me something under 100 PPD, but at the time it was worth it.View attachment 317368
Ah. The pizza boxen. Legendary.

I still spread boxen around the house. HTPC, gaming pc, server, all in different rooms with multi core CPUs and gaming GPUs. For the pernts.

I also have rigs spread around the house. 2 in the entryway where i have the front door cracked. 4 in my main living space (window in kitchen cracked) and 1 that i keep in the bedroom. This makes my place nice and toasty all winter.

Speaking of "mowing down high ppd folders" I don't run F@home very often in favor of doing other boinc, but I see that I have slipped to the second page of stats. I will be recitfying that this month with the upcoming contest, so those that passed me will have to watch their 6 ;)

I've consolidated to 2 rigs each with 2 gpu's. While I don't need to run air con to cool the house in summer, electric costs where I live are really steep and the house is till on its original 1960's wiring, having a couple of kilowatts coming out of one double socket is probably not a good idea :eek::eek:.

As soon as gpu's become availabe there will be some upgrades as I notice I have slipped down the top 20 daily production chart

Ah yes, the pizza boxen. I never had one but I did have an AMD X4 mounted on a mobo tray (removed from a case I junked) perched precariously on a stack of cardboard boxes in the corner of my office. Naked and headless with the 2.5" HDD hanging by its wires over the side, it folded until the mobo went flaky. I used to have rigs all over like you motqalden but I had to consolidate MYSELF into a tiny 3 room place in late '18. BR, 1/2 bath with shower and a 'main' room with kitchenette in one corner, my computer desk in next corner and on wall opposite my home theatre setup. With all 3 rigs now in this small space AND a 60" wall of plasma it gets plenty toasty in here while folding. The Server is always running CPU boinc projects and all are GPU folding at present, at least until I reach 1B and probably mow over rhavern in a coupla weeks. Then I'll prob take the 1070Ti off constant folding and steer the Server at GPUGrid again. I can have the small slider window with Alberta winter ice coating one side wide open just to keep from sweating in my chair. It's hitting the $$ too and we've been in lockdown for weeks again so i'm gonna have to cut back soon. Happy New Year [H]orde !

I've consolidated to 2 rigs each with 2 gpu's. While I don't need to run air con to cool the house in summer, electric costs where I live are really steep and the house is till on its original 1960's wiring, having a couple of kilowatts coming out of one double socket is probably not a good idea :eek::eek:.

As soon as gpu's become availabe there will be some upgrades as I notice I have slipped down the top 20 daily production chart
60s wiring is probably ok - my house was built in 64 and it all checked out via electrician. What you really need to watch out for is wiring from the early 40s - copper rations mean aluminum wiring with cloth wrapping at some points. I skipped putting an offer on a house due to this very reason - it needed to be entirely rewired and it had plaster walls...

Ah yes, the pizza boxen. I never had one but I did have an AMD X4 mounted on a mobo tray (removed from a case I junked) perched precariously on a stack of cardboard boxes in the corner of my office. Naked and headless with the 2.5" HDD hanging by its wires over the side, it folded until the mobo went flaky. I used to have rigs all over like you motqalden but I had to consolidate MYSELF into a tiny 3 room place in late '18. BR, 1/2 bath with shower and a 'main' room with kitchenette in one corner, my computer desk in next corner and on wall opposite my home theatre setup. With all 3 rigs now in this small space AND a 60" wall of plasma it gets plenty toasty in here while folding. The Server is always running CPU boinc projects and all are GPU folding at present, at least until I reach 1B and probably mow over rhavern in a coupla weeks. Then I'll prob take the 1070Ti off constant folding and steer the Server at GPUGrid again. I can have the small slider window with Alberta winter ice coating one side wide open just to keep from sweating in my chair. It's hitting the $$ too and we've been in lockdown for weeks again so i'm gonna have to cut back soon. Happy New Year [H]orde !

Lol don't' assume just because i "spread out" in different rooms that i have a lot of space. I have a basement suite which is around 400sq feet. I can reach out from my desk chair and turn off the stove and if i back up my chair too far i hit my couch! Shit gets really warm fast. Pretty much entry hallway, Main area which is kitchen / office / Livingroom , then a small bathroom and bedroom. I have 2200w of computers sitting in 4 boxes to my right so having the air moving around in here is key!

Lol don't' assume just because i "spread out" in different rooms that i have a lot of space. I have a basement suite which is around 400sq feet. I can reach out from my desk chair and turn off the stove and if i back up my chair too far i hit my couch! Shit gets really warm fast. Pretty much entry hallway, Main area which is kitchen / office / Livingroom , then a small bathroom and bedroom. I have 2200w of computers sitting in 4 boxes to my right so having the air moving around in here is key!
Ha! Well I'm not close enuff to the stove for that but it'd be nice if I was from the fridge - easier to get beer. Eh maybe not, wouldn't get as much exercise if it wasn't for coffee and beer fetching during these lockdowns. I do however just swivel my gaming chair 135 degrees and move about 2 feet and I'm smack-dab in the sweet spot for my home theater. Couldn't fit my couch down the stairwell and around and thru the hall door and ceilings too low to do the tilt-swivel. Even if I could I'd have to put it so close to the TV that I'd be getting a tan in the glow of the plasma. Love the plasmas for sports (am I glad the Steelers lost!) but damn they put out the heat. 2 weeks out from mowing rhavern and I remember him mowing me back in the day. Just under 2 weeks for 1B pernts.

60s wiring is probably ok - my house was built in 64 and it all checked out via electrician. What you really need to watch out for is wiring from the early 40s - copper rations mean aluminum wiring with cloth wrapping at some points. I skipped putting an offer on a house due to this very reason - it needed to be entirely rewired and it had plaster walls...
Well, I'm in the UK so all sorts of shenanigans were going on, houses were built on the cheap and as quickly as possible. I had a pipe go on the heating system a couple of years ago. It turns out all the heating pipes were made out of mild steel so they all need to come out and be replaced!

The whole house is getting rewired either later this year or early next as soon as funds are there and the asbestos has been removed from the ceilings :mad:

Where did you put my ex-card? :p
It is mining by itself in my main computer! It hashes better by itself, but when ETH goes PoS then I will likely relocate it for alt coin mining. The 1070Ti that I bought from windianrecords is plugged into the motherboard of this rig (at the moment, but for this picture it is the closest GPU in riser card), which was my former main PC until I upgraded 2017. This classic AM2+ system has been rock solid for stability. I did a test last night and after disabling two cards I hit 5 million PPD folding. The poor triple core CPU doesn’t have enough horsepower to feed so many GPUs for folding!

Well I mowed over dalenchm0b for #27 on the team but my l'il end of the month/xmas run has extended far enough, not looking forward to the utility billl. I'm gonna hafta scale back to just the Server with 6 threads on BOINC and GTX1050 FAH. I'll fire up the GPUs for the TAAT challenge on the 23rd. Maybe the testbench for some GROMACS action to chip away at the WU bonus too.

Attachments

• fast-moving-lawn-mower-on-green-grass-track.jpg
    fast-moving-lawn-mower-on-green-grass-track.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 8
oof....I would be worried about possible condensation from the water pipes being that close to a water heater. I hope you talked to your insurance guy about what is covered with a water leak...haha.
No condensation issues. The water heater is a heat pump type so it is A/C in reverse, it uses the hot side of the coil to heat the water and blows cold air out which helps keep my rig cool and dry, heat pump A/C acts as a dehumidifier. And if the rig catches fire there is a nearby y source of water to put it out if a soldered part of water line gets hot enough to separate. Worked on a house once where electrical panel caught fire and water heater was next to it and heat caused a soldered water line connection to come apart and it put the fire out. Couple was out of town for Memorial Day so their house sat filled with smoke all weekend.

So, it seems that you can get a least 3 million PPD through x1 risers with 3070 and 2080 Super, but you need a stronger CPU and at least 16GB to handle the initial unpacking of WU with more GPUs starting new WU at the same time.

Attachments

• 94917809-5C07-482D-B520-8298DC0A83A1.jpeg
    94917809-5C07-482D-B520-8298DC0A83A1.jpeg
    571.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 28B9F3D1-2C99-4DED-9D4A-7840E72E955B.jpeg
    28B9F3D1-2C99-4DED-9D4A-7840E72E955B.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 33101A6B-85A1-4F62-AD56-424E967A3551.jpeg
    33101A6B-85A1-4F62-AD56-424E967A3551.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 7822B0DF-C5E1-4B07-B290-B07C2993BAF6.jpeg
    7822B0DF-C5E1-4B07-B290-B07C2993BAF6.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 0
This, is an overwhelmed CPU with modern GPUs, 3060Tis in x1 risers and a 1070 in a x8 effective slot. I think some of the mining hardware setups could be beneficial for those doing DC projects. You could get one solid CPU and mobo setup and populate with 4-5 GPUs and keep your boxen count lower and all components cooler running. I think for this rig, PCI-E 2.0 along with old CPU is limiting performance. With a PCI-E 3.0, I don't think that performance is limited as much and possibly not much at all.

Attachments

• 7C639811-CA84-43C7-A35E-B4349D114D9B.jpeg
    7C639811-CA84-43C7-A35E-B4349D114D9B.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 6FD6C3C5-EA23-4588-8CC8-0E268682C3AE.jpeg
    6FD6C3C5-EA23-4588-8CC8-0E268682C3AE.jpeg
    740.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This, is an overwhelmed CPU with modern GPUs, 3060Tis in x1 risers and a 1070 in a x8 effective slot. I think some of the mining hardware setups could be beneficial for those doing DC projects. You could get one solid CPU and mobo setup and populate with 4-5 GPUs and keep your boxen count lower and all components cooler running. I think for this rig, PCI-E 2.0 along with old CPU is limiting performance. With a PCI-E 3.0, I don't think that performance is limited as much and possibly not much at all.
I’ve toyed with the idea of a threadripper for my next box for the very reason you lay out here. That would have lots of lanes and plenty of CPU horsepower, but if threadripper pro is the only option it’s probably too expensive.

I’ve toyed with the idea of a threadripper for my next box for the very reason you lay out here. That would have lots of lanes and plenty of CPU horsepower, but if threadripper pro is the only option it’s probably too expensive.
There is always used or older thread ripper models that could work.

1.jpg

2.jpg

*cough* threadripper you say?
1900x (first gen platform)
4 pcie slots double spaced
from the top
2060 super at pcie 3.0 x16
2060 at pcie 3.0 x8
2070 super at pcie 3.0 x16
2060 at pcie 3.0 x8

3x ml120 in the front at 2400rpm, ml140 in rear at 2000rpm, 4x40mm double ball bearing san aces at 9000rpm, two NF-A12x25 at 2000rpm on rad, aliexpress watercooling with a knockoff d5 pump running full speed. love that thing. Heat is still a major issue but i dont like having exposed gpus on a mining rig due to my cats. hx1000i has been holding strong for 3 years now, one hell of a psu. 1900x is fairly cheap, the motherboards are still holding their price, new gen threadripper is too expensive for pcie 4.0. My gaming rig has a 3800x and a x570 mobo and im just waiting to buy a 3080 (for like 2 years now?):drowning:

Seconded for a 1st gen threadripper build. My current rig will be retired to folding duties once i decide what i am upgrading to later on this year.

Looks like I’ll be losing another slot soon based on this image. It’s been three years since I had an active client. Geez, 90 million plus per day? Impressive - Keep folding [H]ard!
You'll be safe for a bit longer. I had rented a fair amount of cloud GPUs to fend off the mowing from BWG during the contest. I *barely* avoided the mowing. I plan to fold for [H] for a bit longer before migrating back to my current team. Perhaps I'll stick around long enough to give you a shave!

Found this pic from 2012 I thought some of the old dogs would recognize/appreciate. Using that folding heat productively! Pretty sure it was a quad AMD opteron crunching away back there. 48 cores. Cooled by some over engineered Noctua heatsinks that kept the noise to a quiet background white noise.

My little girl was 3.5 when I took this pic. She's 13.5 now.

Attachments

• IMG_6714.jpg
    IMG_6714.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 0
Pretty sure it was a quad AMD opteron crunching away back there. 48 cores. Cooled by some over engineered Noctua heatsinks that kept the noise to a quiet background white noise.
I've still got my old Supermicro quad Opteron board, 48 cores and 32 Gigs. Haven't fired it up in a couple of years, but man that thing was a space heater for certain running all 48 cores. Ran with 6180SE CPU's and had it clocked just 200 Mhz over stock at 2.7, If I remember correctly, it pulled around 720 watts from the wall. Good times, good times... :D

I've still got my old Supermicro quad Opteron board, 48 cores and 32 Gigs. Haven't fired it up in a couple of years, but man that thing was a space heater for certain running all 48 cores. Ran with 6180SE CPU's and had it clocked just 200 Mhz over stock at 2.7, If I remember correctly, it pulled around 720 watts from the wall. Good times, good times... :D
Yep. I always regretted buying the Tyan board that couldn't be overclocked. Tear was the one that figured out how to OC the Supermicro boards right? Legend.

Found this pic from 2012 I thought some of the old dogs would recognize/appreciate. Using that folding heat productively! Pretty sure it was a quad AMD opteron crunching away back there. 48 cores. Cooled by some over engineered Noctua heatsinks that kept the noise to a quiet background white noise.

My little girl was 3.5 when I took this pic. She's 13.5 now.
uhh, hopefully the wall has been repainted in the last 10 years? ... ;)

Yep. I always regretted buying the Tyan board that couldn't be overclocked. Tear was the one that figured out how to OC the Supermicro boards right? Legend.
He was, custom [H] splash screen on bootup and everything. Team #33 benefited greatly from his custom BIOS and knowledge about pushing the OC on the SM boards.

uhh, hopefully the wall has been repainted in the last 10 years? ... ;)
Ha. Yep. That was one of those things the wife thought was a good idea when we were young and dumb. A year or two after that pic was taken we painted it beige.

Back