Moving your PC across the room - considerations?

DoubleTap

2[H]4U
I have a big desk, but it's always too full of gear - speakers, monitor arms, PC, MORA3 rads, gadgets, etc. It's hard to dust with so much stuff on the desk.

I'm going to relocate the PC and Radiators to an Ikea shelf on the wall behind me. I'll need to route USB (a hub) and video and a fiber optic to my amp, but otherwise, I think it's easy.

My office is 10' x 10'

1617741268401.png

Anyone ever do something like this? I just want my desk to be less cluttered...

You're looking at 15 to 20 feet of cable there. That exceeds specs for most cables you'll see connected to a computer. Just put it under your desk.

Thunderbolt would help. My PC is about 40ft away (different room). I ran the thunderbolt cord up to the attic and down back to my room.

You can use a 30' hdmi cable of you are using HDMI 2.0. You can get fiber HDMI for 2.1 specs but those are pricey. I have no problem running a 30' cable from my PC to tv that got for like $30 on monoprice.

You're looking at 15 to 20 feet of cable there. That exceeds specs for most cables you'll see connected to a computer. Just put it under your desk.

I bought a 10M fiber optic Displayport cable on Amazon, it works perfectly.

This won't fit under the desk...

Attachments

• 20210409_011834.jpg
    20210409_011834.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210408_154740.jpg
    20210408_154740.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 0
This has been working well for me. The PC still heats the room like a space heater, but having it on the back wall has me out of the "heat envelope"

The PC is small so leave it there and run all the WC across the room. You have already entered the realm of ridiculousness when the cooling is 4x the volume of the PC. I love it by the way and this is coming from a SFF snob!

My PCs are on a shelf above the desk to fee up space and keep them off the floor so maybe that is an option for you?

The PC is small so leave it there and run all the WC across the room. You have already entered the realm of ridiculousness when the cooling is 4x the volume of the PC. I love it by the way and this is coming from a SFF snob!

My PCs are on a shelf above the desk to fee up space and keep them off the floor so maybe that is an option for you?
Thanks! It is absurd in it's own way, but it's built for extreme cooling and extremely low noise - two goals that are always in tension, the price of bridging those goals was... all that

I did consider this, but there are two factors - my desk is height adjustable and from a reliability standpoint, running tubes across the room seems much more chancy than running wires.

I bought a 10M fiber optic Displayport cable on Amazon, it works perfectly.

This won't fit under the desk...
lol, Was going to say just throw it under the desk......
but,
Just get long enough hoses for the the WC externals so you can move those to the back and throw the PC under the desk or to the side since you got rid of the most of the bulk.

Back