moving Windows 7 from one HTPC to another

AirCool

Limp Gawd
I have a Windows 7 based HTPC based on Intel G41. The Windows 7 is installed using an OEM copy. I want to repurpose the PC and move the HTPC function to an AMD E350 based PC. Will Windows 7 be able to recover itself if I simply move the HDD?

Moving a hard drive configured for one set of hardware to a completely different set of hardware is sketchy at best. Very rarely (but occasionally) will the OS simply boot to the desktop and install all the drivers or at least prompt you to install them. You can try this: boot to Windows in safe mode on the Intel PC; go to your Device Manager and uninstall most of the Intel and 3rd party drivers (audio, video, ethernet, controller and chipset drivers, etc). Then power down, and move the drive over to the AMD system, cross your fingers, and power on. Be sure to back up any/all data that is considered "important" before you do ANYTHING. There is a very real chance that the once the boot in the AMD system is attempted, the drive may never boot to a functional OS in either system again until a clean install is performed.

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I'd simply back up my data, move the drive, format and re-install a clean OS. This is best way to go to avoid lag and possible stability issues.

If you're worried about losing the licence for Windows cause it's a Dell or HP or some shit, there should be an OEM CD key on the side of the case you can just install Windows with. If you're just trying to not reinstall Windows, it's really more trouble than it's worth. Just reinstall.

Back