Moving to new house and I'm out of the loop. Help with network setup plz

JNavy89GT

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok I'm going to show my age here a bit lol. We moved into our older home in 2000, and at that time I was hardcore into computers/gaming and it wasn't an issue getting a setup down. Mainly, at the time I ran a Linksys router, and some 10/100 switches with Cat5 runs to various spots. Over time I upgraded to a Linksys wireless router with ddwrt installed and 1000m switches and that's been ok. I've stopped gaming for the most part and tbh our internet is used primarily for Netflix and websurfing now.

So now we just bought a new house in a rural area. While we are only about 5-10 miles from our present house(with cable internet), the only ISP's I can get are dial up, satellite, 3g/4g, or microwave wireless. Since I don't want bandwidth caps, I've elected to go with the wireless service which they say is 5m/1m service(we'll see--skeptical of this).

So now my questions:
My Linksys wireless router has been flakey for some time. Requires frequent resets as the wireless will get flakey at times and Netflix hangs then. Also, since the basement of the house is currently unfinished, I'm considering hiring someone to run Cat5e(e?) or the upgraded Cat5 that I have 2 spools of. My thinking is that I would avoid some of the hassles of wireless with a static connection. I would still like wireless for the ipod/ipads, and ability to hop on if not near a Cat5 run, so I'm considering upgrading my wireless router to something like the Buffalo WZR-600DHP. I'm not stuck on that one, just found trolling through newegg at a decent price and has ddwrt ability which I like.

I'm really out of the loop as I used to eat, breath, sleep computers, but in the past 5-6 years I've become a more traditional user, and not kept up with the times or information and forgot a lot of what I knew :(. I still keep up a bit on basic hardware, ie mobo, cpu gpu etc.. and still build my own and oc a bit. Eventually, I hope to get better internet, so I'm wanting to plan for that eventuality(fingers crossed). Currently on Comcast cable I burst up to 20m and usually sustain 12-15 on downloads, so 5 if I even get that, will be a big downgrade. I'm worried that my wife or 4 kids will saturate this with Netflix. We can watch 2 devices on Netflix now without any issues. Searching for user reports on watching 2 shows at the same time with a 5m connection has proved frustrating. The kids aren't a huge deal, they use a Wi which is standard def and I don't think takes much bandwidth, but the parental TV's are using Roku or DVD players which do get HD if the content allows and they can soak up some bw, so much that it often trips up my wireless router, which maybe that is all the issue is and a new router may improve that I don't know.

So basically, I'm submitting to the experts here for advice on my situation. I'm going to be finishing the basement soon, so I would like to run the Cat5e before that obviously to avoid any headaches or roadblocks to that down the road.

thx all.

I had several Linksys routers over the years, in my experience they start dying when you have to reboot them every few days.
I've since switched to an Airport Extreme which covers pretty much the whole house. In my basement shop I have a Dell 24 port gig switch and a Meraki access point.
I would have wires run to every location you think you might need at some point, with wireless to supplement that.

Back