Moving to a small form factor, need audio advice.

theplaidfad

Lurker
Hello,

I'm moving my computer from ATX to mITX, and therefore will lose the ability to use my Soundblaster Z card. Having being spoiled by having an amplified signal feeding my Senheiser headset, I really don't want to go back to the integrated motherboard audio if at all possible within my budget. What external solution is available to me that won't cost an arm and a leg? I'd be able to spend no more than around $70.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

The primary role of my PC is gaming. I would be aiming to have something similar to the simulated surround from the soundblaster card.
Well then you are asking for trouble. SFF + gaming is not a match made in heaven. On any level.

Well there is always the Creative E5 usb dac/amp https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Hig...N5DJTDMPGZBJ9TTX1&ie=UTF8&qid=1478722461&sr=1

They may be your best bet, though they are a little pricey, but as far as usb dacs that have gaming quality. I mean, simulated surround is kinda meh imo but that was never my priority lol.

USB audio is bad for gaming, the serial nature of USB can choke the cpu bus and cause stutters. Even if you have 10 cores they all use the same internal i/o...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
USB audio is bad for gaming, the serial nature of USB can choke the cpu bus and cause stutters. Even if you have 10 cores they all use the same internal i/o...

Huh? Are you implying that the 10 core CPU is connected directly to USB? Any data to support this?

Huh? Are you implying that the 10 core CPU is connected directly to USB? Any data to support this?

The USB bus along with PCI/PCI-E and parallel bus sends interrupts to CPU and use the memory controller which is fed through a single pipe to all the cores. So if anything interrupts the northbridge, all cpus are in line waiting. Someone correct me if wrong...

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-high-cpu-usage-caused-system-interrupts/

450px-Motherboard_diagram.svg.png

I've owned a few different headsets that were USB. I've never had any audio skipping issues in the past, I doubt I'll have audio skipping issues this time.

Anyhow, I ended up purchasing a Soundblaster G5 after reading a review from somebody using the exact same Sennheiser headset that I use. I'm not an audiophile, but I did appreciate the sound quality enhancements that I got from switching from onboard audio to an amplified source, so I'm sure this will keep me gaming just as happily as my SBz card did.

Thanks for your time.

I've owned a few different headsets that were USB. I've never had any audio skipping issues in the past, I doubt I'll have audio skipping issues this time.

Anyhow, I ended up purchasing a Soundblaster G5 after reading a review from somebody using the exact same Sennheiser headset that I use. I'm not an audiophile, but I did appreciate the sound quality enhancements that I got from switching from onboard audio to an amplified source, so I'm sure this will keep me gaming just as happily as my SBz card did.

Thanks for your time.

The USB may manifest as game stutters, dropped fps and all sorts of problems that may not be audio related at all.

The USB bus along with PCI/PCI-E and parallel bus sends interrupts to CPU and use the memory controller which is fed through a single pipe to all the cores. So if anything interrupts the northbridge, all cpus are in line waiting. Someone correct me if wrong...

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-high-cpu-usage-caused-system-interrupts/

450px-Motherboard_diagram.svg.png

Isn't the diagram you posted relevant to Core 2? The distribution since Core iX looks more like this (and that's a lowly H55 platform...):

h55-block-diagram-16x9-2.png

By your reasoning, if the CPU sends data to USB, the Ethernet and SATA are blocked...I don't believe this, please show some test data.

You can definitely get slowdowns or artifacts with usb dacs if you are running a dual core or an older low clocked quad, Ive definitely had some static, pauses, and weird sound artifacts bia usb on my htpc and broadwell macbook pro that i dont get on my main gaming system.

So with a i7-4790k at 4.7ghz, I'm more than likely not going to notice anything, just like I never did in the past with previous USB "gaming" headsets. Right?

if you're using a shit dac maybe lol. I've used the soundblaster X-fi HD usb dac for a good 2 years before it broke in a move when it fought with gravity and lost lol and it was about perfect for all my gaming needs, no noticeable artifacts or slowdowns. and this was on a laptop from early 2011.

So with a i7-4790k at 4.7ghz, I'm more than likely not going to notice anything, just like I never did in the past with previous USB "gaming" headsets. Right?
It depends. Generally speaking a dedicated audio is better. Sometimes USB causes no problems but then again sometimes it does. That's why I said USB audio is not ideal for gaming.

It depends. Generally speaking a dedicated audio is better. Sometimes USB causes no problems but then again sometimes it does. That's why I said USB audio is not ideal for gaming.
I can definitely see usb being a fickle biznatch if you have all your usb lanes fully saturated. But if you have the bare essentials: usb mouse/keyboard, one shouldn't have a shite experience with a usb dac in the gaming department. Only so much bandwidth to go around.

Keyboard
Mouse
USB thumb drive
I honestly think you'll be just gravy. Give the G5 a good listening to and see how it performs over the course of where you bought it's return period :3 If it's going to be utter shite you'll likely see it during that time frame. Let us know what you think of it :3

I have been using B&W MM1's for about 4 + years with an early i7 Xeon & 4790K and haven't seen any performance issues.

But if your just after an amp for your headphones I agree just a USB dac will suit you fine.

An AudioQuest DragonFly black is close to your price range.

Last edited:
Back