moving "steam" ssd from win7_64 to win10_64 machine

revenant

[H]F Squad Captain
The title says it all... I am going to transplant my 1tb steam dedicated games only ssd from my older win7_64 machine to a new win10_64 build. I am planning on sym linking the steam dir from c:/program files (x86)/steam --> the new drive letter and path, etc, blah. Is this at all a sane idea or will it blow chunks? Or should I link the "../steamapps/common" dir (at the game data level) so the steam platform exe is working from the win10 install of it and the games are running from the other larger disk? Obviously I have all my saves archived and moved over already in my documents... It would be sooo groovy not to have to download 600G of games again. Any suggestions on making this smoother?

It will be fine. Steam does not worry about directories or volume labels or bull like that. Just install/map the drive and tell Steam where to find the games.

I run my Steam folder on a server in the house, and run all the games with multiple machines from the same folder. Steam is pretty good about that.

It worked perfectly.. Moved disk, booted, stopped steam, created link, started steam and was happy as a clam. I can't say the same for GTA V.. looks like I will need to reinstall the whole game, which I bought on disk for some reason.. Both Diablo3 and The Division were two other games I just transplanted on the same disk. Diablo was very easy, ran it and the installer updated a few files and it worked fine. The Division wasn't as easy but it didn't need a reinstall. I ran through the setup process from the uplay site and it "discovered" the files on my disk, basically combed through them for a while, and downloaded some updates and then it worked fine.

Back