Moving Shared folders w/ Permissions

Ratfester

Weaksauce
Hopefully this is the right place to ask. I am trying to copy a shared folder from an old file server to a new one. It has a lot of different NTFS permissions set within it to limit access to users on the network. Both machines are Server 2008 Std. I have tried robocopy and richcopy and both fail, access denied. Is there a way to force copy and preserve the acl's and permissions or will I have to take ownership of everything and reset them on the new server? I have all the admin rights and can access every file/folder. Thanks!

If you're getting access denied then you'll need to take ownership. Just use a domain admin to take ownership and it shouldn't affect the permissions once they are on the other server.

You have to have permission to the files if you want to move them.... plain and simple. Lots of different ways to do this, but bottom line is the files need to have grant administrator access (or whoever you are moving the files as)

robocopy should handle this just fine, but you'll have to run under an Administrator cmd prompt and use the /b flag. For best results with the /b flag, you'll probably need to run from the source machine. As long as your account is in the Backup Operators group, then the /b flag will give you access to everything, even if you don't normally have access.

something like robocopy /e /dcopy:t /b /copyall X:\source \\server\target

Note I've hit this bug before (acls not copied with /b switch):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979808

But it says it only affects 2008 r2 and 7. I don't know if that means the bug didn't exist in the 2008 version of robocopy. There is a similar hotfix for 2008 that's you'll probably want if you don't have it already:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2644882

As said you either don't have permissions or have UAC enabled.

Robocopy with the correct switches is the best practice.

Since my higher ups are a bit nuts for reports I use a program called SyncBack. With the right settings it can do what you wish and send you a report on any failures.

Back