Moving sata hdd with data to new pc, new pc doesnt see data.

Ocean

Supreme [H]ardness
So there seems to be some windows 10 "feature" i dont know about.

I'm formatting a sata hdd in one win10 computer, putting lots of data on it, and then plugging into a new win10 computer. this new computer doesnt show the data, but data recovery software can see it. i can also put the drive back in the old pc and see the files.

doing a check disk on the new pc says there errors and fixes it but it doesnt reveal files still, and then the old pc stops being able to see many files if i put the drive back.

also, if i write some data to the sata drive in the new pc, the old pc cant see it after a hdd transfer back to the old pc. but the new pc will be able to see it after another hdd transfer.

so far i havent lost any data, but im about to transfer 3 4TB and drives to a new pc, and i want to have this issue understood before i do that.
both drives s.m.a.r.t. data seems fine.

Difference in windows versions between the two PCs?

Any raid configuration or windows storage features being used?

Last edited:
Do you have Bitlocker or some other encryption enabled in the old machine?

Difference in windows versions between the two PCs?

Any raid configuration or windows storage features being used?
Do you have Bitlocker or some other encryption enabled in the old machine?

Both versions of windows are a currently updated windows 10 home, non-insider edition. no raid ever on either system, there seems to be no encryption, and probably no bitlocker possible (home editions). this hard drive came out of a newish recent dell, then sata plugged into the old pc, filled with some files, and put back in the dell, and the new dell cant see the files. the dell had a fresh install of windows onto a new non-stock ssd. the old pc also had a new install of updated windows.

are there any utility programs on the dell, like system recovery or av suites? ive never run into this issue with a regular drive.

If you run Disk Management on destination PC with drive plugged in, does it show up without a drive letter?

are there any utility programs on the dell, like system recovery or av suites? ive never run into this issue with a regular drive.
If you run Disk Management on destination PC with drive plugged in, does it show up without a drive letter?

its a fresh updated windows install (not restore) on the dell, nothing other than stock windows that i can tell.
Disk management has the letter M assigned to the drive. (was my choice originally, M for Media)

i was concerned that there was some new security surprise in windows 10 that would have prevented me from moving 12TB from an old system to another new system. i took the chance and just plugged one 4tb drive in. it showed up fine on the receiving pc, added the other 2 4TB drives and they were fine too. it seems to have just been some oddity involving either the dell system and dell drive, that i may never solve. i used an intermediary external drive to transfer the data from the old pc to the new dell. that worked fine. and the other newer pc seems to be accepting the 4TB drives without issue.

thanks for the assistance.

its a fresh updated windows install (not restore) on the dell, nothing other than stock windows that i can tell.
Disk management has the letter M assigned to the drive. (was my choice originally, M for Media)

i was concerned that there was some new security surprise in windows 10 that would have prevented me from moving 12TB from an old system to another new system. i took the chance and just plugged one 4tb drive in. it showed up fine on the receiving pc, added the other 2 4TB drives and they were fine too. it seems to have just been some oddity involving either the dell system and dell drive, that i may never solve. i used an intermediary external drive to transfer the data from the old pc to the new dell. that worked fine. and the other newer pc seems to be accepting the 4TB drives without issue.

thanks for the assistance.

Yeah, seems to be some shenanigans that OEMs like Dell have a history of pulling.
That's the only thing I can think of, they had some weird proprietary partition type that any system running non-Dell OEM version of Windows won't recognize.
Only other thing I can think is that it was formatted to some file system Windows doesn't naively support but for some reason the Dell OEM version did.

Back