moving router

Rustic

Limp Gawd
I have Cox Communications. I am about to move my modem from the living room to a dedicated closet. Also going from a 4 port switch to 24 port. I have a new router waiting in the closet along with the 24 port switch. I have ran all the wiring myself.:eek:

Questions: Do I need to call the cable company when doing all this? Will they need to do anything since I am moving stuff around and replacing the router/switch?

Thanks for your time.

Absolutely not, just make sure your incoming RG6 line is not going through multiple splitters. Ideally, you want to split the direct line with a 2-way splitter (not a radio shack one) and run one of the lines directly to your modem.

Most of the time, the cable line from the street will have a 2 port splitter. One port goes to the cable modem, the other to the rest of the coax runs to TVs in the house.

Use that splitter and keep the wiring layout the same, just with the longer cable runs.

Sometimes those splitters are special for the cable modems, and include filters that block certain frequencies.

I never heard of the filters. thanks. I have the main line coming in and then like you guys said I will split it in 2 then 1 to modem and 1 to tv distribution splitter.

So I will need(or at least look into) a 2 splitter that will filter the line going to the modem and the other line no filter?

since we are on the subject, what about amplifiers for the TV signal? Do I get with the cable company to see if I need one?

I never heard of the filters. thanks. I have the main line coming in and then like you guys said I will split it in 2 then 1 to modem and 1 to tv distribution splitter.

So I will need(or at least look into) a 2 splitter that will filter the line going to the modem and the other line no filter?

The filter is typically installed by your cable provider, I've never heard of being able to buy one. They are typically installed to block tv channels, you can remove it if you'd like... you might even get a few more channels; but that would be against the law :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, amp ONLY if you need it. It's possible to overdrive the signal.

A lot of modern TVs have signal level meters. These meters don't measure a signal level exactly, but rather how many "packets" are decoded without error by the TV. So when you see a 75% signal level, don't automatically think that you need to amplify the signal by 25% to make it better. In fact you might need to attenuate the signal.

May be worth a call, but my cable company will come out, free of charge, and check any new wiring for signal levels. I just finished re-wiring my house and they came out twice and checked everything. I didn't have to beg or nothing. They were happy to do so.

Never know, a call cant hurt.

Back