Moving on to Zen 2

reaper7534!

Limp Gawd
6700k going to my brother and I'm going to start a new build. I will transplant my existing nvme, ssd's and 1070 to the new build. I do the occasional streaming, dabbling in video editing and mostly game. I do game in 1440p and plan to stay that way, don't see a need for 4k. Was planning on 3700x, but now I'm looking at a 3600x. From what I can tell in CPU bound games, the 3600x should perform on par with the 6700k. Should I go 3600x or go 3700, B450 vs X570 ( I don't overclock and don't see myself need PCIe 4.0 )

I know opinions will differ, just trying to see what would be a upgrade without going crazy.

Last edited:
budget it out. right now a 3600x is max for games, probably not down the road.. dont need pcie 4.0 then fine go B. . if you can afford 3700 and 570, then do it. if not, dont. that simple really.

6700k going to my brother and I'm going to start a new build. I will transplant my existing nvme, ssd's and 1070 to the new build. I do the occasional streaming, dabbling in video editing and mostly game. I do game in 1440p and plan to stay that way, don't see a need for 4k. Was planning on 3700x, but now I'm looking at a 3600x. From what I can tell in CPU bound games, the 3600x should perform on par with the 3600x. Should I go 3600x or go 3700, B450 vs X570 ( I don't overclock and don't see myself need PCIe 4.0 )

I know opinions will differ, just trying to see what would be a upgrade without going crazy.

Ryzen 7 3700X

If you are going to use PCIe 4.0, get X570, otherwise stick with B450 or X470

That's what I'm waiting for, but B450 blowouts will be tempting if B550 has no real uplift besides a 2nd full speed nvme slot or other chipset related uplift.

only uplift I could imagine would be pcie4 which is a dumb expense to buy into if a good 450 board is significantly less

only uplift I could imagine would be pcie4 which is a dumb expense to buy into if a good 450 board is significantly less
If you build a 3900X system into the future. pcie-4 is really good feature for those 2023-2024 GPU's.

B550 won’t have pcie4 capability.
That means there’s more room for chipset lanes to appear as feature based value adds.

I am interested in buildzoids inevitable vrm breakdowns to see what b550 boards got copy/pasted from where.
B450 to low end x470 some boards were copied over.
I don’t see x570 to b550 copy pastes being cost competitive.
X470 to b550 vrm copy pastes seem more likely.

I have a hard time believing AM4 or ddr4 will be mainstream in 4-5 years from now.
I buy for today.
When games start pushing HDR textures past my 11gb gpu vram limit and choking a pcie3 nvme drive then we can talk about the 4K/165hz YouTube clips I’m uploading.

I'd get B450/X470 mobo.. if video editing , maybe 3700x then for some extra crunching cores .. whatever you can find a good price on

If you're going to be streaming, I think it's a no brainier to go for an 8 core part. I would opt for the vanilla 3700 over the 3700x though. From all the reviews I've seen, performance is virtually identical. Maybe things have changed slightly with the more recent BIOS releases that address boost issues to give the 3700x a bit more of an advantage, but it's probably still not worth the $50 premium.

That's what I'm waiting for, but B450 blowouts will be tempting if B550 has no real uplift besides a 2nd full speed nvme slot or other chipset related uplift.

with B550 it's going to be primarily the change from pcie 2.0 lanes from the chipset to pcie 3.0 lanes.. shouldn't cause prices to sky rocket like x570. but that being said even the budget x570 boards are damn good.. 200 dollar price range basically gets you what was flagship x370 territory and mid/high end x470. i think people get to fixated on the stupidly over priced flagship board prices that realistically no one needs and forget that even the budget boards are just as good if not better than a lot of the high end x370/470 boards for cheaper than those boards were when they released.

but that being said if you can find a good deal on x470 then definitely go with it and save the money as long as you can guarantee the board comes with the updated bios.

B550 won’t have pcie4 capability.

But it will finally upgrade the southbridge to PCIe 3.0 LANES. To me, that is a lot more important feature for today's systems. This would let AMD match what Intel has had since Skylake: at least PCIe 3.0 in all of their chipsets.

And you could utilize the 4 extra lanes on Zen 2, as well. Because this requires a new motherboard, that would lower the costs of using features already built-in to your processor.

And there's nothing preventing the processor's lanes from running at PCIE 4.0, so mid range motherboards featuring both speeds will be common. It's how how things worked on Ivy Bridge motherboards.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Yes, that's the incremental nvme speed increase I'm interested in.

If thunderbolt 3 appears, content creators will jump on it.
AX wifi will be a thing.
2.5gig and 10gig LAN will be a thing.
Full slew of USB thru C will be a thing.

Other people may like more fully features boards ala higher end X470 or exceeding x470.

Of course we will get a slew of RGB and plastic doodad boards, but this used to be an enthusiast forum.

B550 will be fun to watch where they stake out the price points, and where it eclipses X470.

B450 really didn't do much to overshadow X370, but X570 made its features unique to chipset draw a distinct line btw mid and high tier.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I have an MSI X570 Gaming Plus and it works great. I really did not need to upgrade my B450 Tomohawk but figured what they heck since I bought the 3900X and new 3600 Ram and now I am on my third video card upgrade. I upgrade my 1060 to a 5700XT because it was PCIe 4 so I figured I would see how it was. Sadly that card had to be returned because it was a POS and I could not get drivers to install no matter how much I tried. Returned that for a 2060 and then today returned that for a 2080Super. Anyway the board has been great and was only $169.

I'd get B450/X470 mobo.. if video editing , maybe 3700x then for some extra crunching cores .. whatever you can find a good price on

That 3700x is sweet. I own a 3900x and a 3600. Sometimes I wished I would have gotten the 3700x instead of the 3600 for the extra 2 cores on that particular machine.

I had a chance to record two different systems i have been building on as a way to compare which route yields the most return for the money . Now they are both using same 19.10.1 driver and 27" 1080p display and i played the same level for both with Ultra everything . both are running at 3200Mhz CL 16 timings as i got the 3600 / RX5700 record last night ,

1st is a ( stock cooler ) 3700x running on MSI x470 Gaming Plus paired with RX 570 8Gb

2nd and little something buggy with ReLive and Navi as record would only start and stop on desktop as my only issue found . but 3600 running Gigabyte B350M - DS3H with RX 5700 ref

3700x offers the better value to me as it makes the RX 570 8Gb look very good for a budget card.

My option about Polaris and Navi .. I think Polaris looks better and I would love to see it live on with a just die shrink and DDR6 memory and it would own anything Nvidia had to counter as it ain't looking to bad in stock form on AMD hardware .

Last edited:
Yes, that's the incremental nvme speed increase I'm interested in.

If thunderbolt 3 appears, content creators will jump on it.
AX wifi will be a thing.
2.5gig and 10gig LAN will be a thing.
Full slew of USB thru C will be a thing.

Other people may like more fully features boards ala higher end X470 or exceeding x470.

Of course we will get a slew of RGB and plastic doodad boards, but this used to be an enthusiast forum.

B550 will be fun to watch where they stake out the price points, and where it eclipses X470.

B450 really didn't do much to overshadow X370, but X570 made its features unique to chipset draw a distinct line btw mid and high tier.

Reviewers mostly targeted $500+ x570 motherboards for wow factor, but there are some very capable x570 boards in the $200-$250 range. I'm guessing you will see b450 boards with similiar vrms in the $150-$200 range after they strip away some of the less needed features.

I been waiting for my gpu riser mount to fit my RX 5700 in the case with my 3700x is why they where paired together but I will be switching it over as the mount is in place now .

Back