Moving from WHS on dedicated hardware to a WHS VM

@Spectrumbx: I was hoping that the clean install would see the drives once the hyper-v drivers were added, and realize that these drives were previously pooled drives, and give the option of attempting the rebuild of the pool.

I am familiar with what happens when you add drives to a pool, its just an issue of how a clean WHS install sees drives whose last state were as pool drives.

I am fairly certain that a clean install will have no information about the old pool.
However, it is cheap and easy to try. Do a clean install in a VM and see what you get.

Seriously, I would try the VMware P2V option I mentioned previously.
Use the VMware converter to create the image of the physical drive and then follow the link I posted in one of my earlier post to convert the image to an Hyper-V image.
Otherwise, have fun copying all those terabytes of data one drive at a time.

I am fairly certain that a clean install will have no information about the old pool.
However, it is cheap and easy to try. Do a clean install in a VM and see what you get.

Seriously, I would try the VMware P2V option I mentioned previously.
Use the VMware converter to create the image of the physical drive and then follow the link I posted in one of my earlier post to convert the image to an Hyper-V image.
Otherwise, have fun copying all those terabytes of data one drive at a time.

Im going to try that too....just for fun :)

Sorry to revive a 9 month old thread, it doesn't seem like there were any conclusions posted here on the best way to move WHS on Dedicated hardware to a WHS VM under Server 2008 with Hyper-V? Could anyone kindly link me to an updated thread or tutorial if one exists.

Thank you.

Back