Moving from T-mo BB Curve to VZW - what phone?

Sabrewulf165

2[H]4U
Been using a BB Curve with T-Mobile for the last year or so, am now switching to VZW so I can get on my family's, er... family plan, and save some money. Spent most of the day looking at the HTC Ozone, BB Tour, LG Env Touch, and a couple of others.

None of them hit the ball out of the park, but I'm leaning towards the Env just because of the amazing screen size and resolution and full keyboard. Real headphone jack doesn't hurt either. Also considered just getting another Curve because I'm concerned about apps, but the Curve is so old :( My brother has the Samsung Omnia and he seems to really like it but I'm really wary of going touchscreen-only.

Opinions welcome.

Been w/ vzw for years, ur gonna love the voice quality improvement. I used the old curve for a week, but it was just too old for my tastes. Moved onto the Storm, 4 days w/ the Pre+Sprint, and finally back to vzw w/ the Tour.

I LOVE THIS PHONE.

Its going to have the same, fairly new OS, but with a different keyboard than ur used to. I was never a fan of the wobbly, clanky keys on the 8330 or 8900 phones and I HATED the Pre's toy jelly keys. The Tour's keys feel solid, have a raised edge, don't wobble, and can be typed on fast with good comfort.

The OS itself feels super fast. MUCH faster than the Storm, and even sanppier than the Pre, which felt inconsistent to me.

The actual build quality and formfactor of the Tour's ideal for my purposes. There's a matte feel to the side's, firm carbon fiber-ish back, and it's weighty wo/ feeling bulky like the Storm or G1.

Given ur previous phone, I don't see how any dumbphone like the enV could be an option. I passed on the omnia due to its low screen res and nearly required stylus.

The only bummers the lack of wifi, but u do get vzw and their awesome network. Bolt makes things easier too.

Happy hunting!

(Typed enjoyably from my Tour)

When are you switching? The Touch Pro2 and Diamond2 should be coming out soon

Whenever. My Tmo contract expired in April and I just found out yesterday so I got my fam to add me as an authorized user on their existing account. It's just a matter of going to the store and getting the new line set up and choosing a phone. I'm still on month-to-month with Tmo in the meantime.

Went with the BB Tour. Env Touch's lack of multitasking was a deal-breaker for me. Thanks for the input guys.

Anyone got any hot app recommendations?

Pandora, number 1 best app for my BB.

What apps are you looking for, business, personal, gaming, goofy, etc...etc...

Yeah depends on what youre looking for. if you have gmail, google sync is a must. Google maps, and also weather eye you must check out. Also install blackberry apps world.

Anyone got any hot app recommendations?
Here's a list of some of the better apps on my Tour. * denotes favorites.

AP News: Quick and quality news links
Crackberry App Store: Let's you sort by top free
BBM 5.0: Threaded messenging w/ neato avatars
*bddemo (bubble defense): I have scored over 5hrs on the 1 level demo alone!
*BOLT: Change to XXLarge and browse in style
BTSidekick: Just like Poynt, but uses GPS
FlyCast 2.0: Streaming media
Google Maps:
LifeInPocket: free turn by turn navigation using GPS
Pandora: Recently upgraded to higher quality stereo, tends to play same songs over and over
*$10 Podtrapper: Completely manages all my podcasts independently of a PC
*Poynt: Uses superpages, great UI, integrates w/ Google Maps (currently GPS broken in Tour)
*$5QuickLaunch: 1 click access to a lot of different shortcuts
*Slacker Radio: Better than Pandora, MUCH greater variety
*Viigo: Replaced my desktop RSS reader
Weatherbug: Highlight icon for current/high/low temps, offers alerts (storms, excess pollution)
*YouMail Visual Voicemail Plus: Say goodbye to 90's voicemail and hello to the year 2007

Note: google sync WILL break your recurring events in the calendar.

Back