Moving from IOS to Android... Desktop music question

AS silly as it sounds, Windows Media Player seems to work fairly well for me, so far. I can create and edit playlists, then upload them to the phone. I cannot edit what is already on the phone with it, but that is no big deal.

The great thing about Android is the compatibility and tons of options. Want to play FLAC? Fine! You're set. Open spec playlists? Easy. Streaming? Good. You can manage music on an Android phone with just about any PC media player that supports mass storage. Some good ones to try are...

Clementine player ( www.clementine-player.org )
Tomahawk Player ( www.tomahawk-player.org )
Amarok ( http://amarok.kde.org/ )
aTunes ( www.atunes.org )
Miro ( www.getmiro.com )

All of the above are cross platform and open source and are of the "iTunes like full featured music manager/jukebox" type, but are generally superior in resource use and features (as well as privacy!). If you want something basically slim and "Winamp Like", then look into Audacious Media Player instead.

Of course, there are the proprietary and windows-only options like Winamp, AIMP, MusicBee, MusicMonkey etc... if for some reason one of the above doesn't suit you.

The great thing about Android is the compatibility and tons of options. Want to play FLAC? Fine! You're set. Open spec playlists? Easy. Streaming? Good. You can manage music on an Android phone with just about any PC media player that supports mass storage. Some good ones to try are...

Clementine player ( www.clementine-player.org )
Tomahawk Player ( www.tomahawk-player.org )
Amarok ( http://amarok.kde.org/ )
aTunes ( www.atunes.org )
Miro ( www.getmiro.com )

All of the above are cross platform and open source and are of the "iTunes like full featured music manager/jukebox" type, but are generally superior in resource use and features (as well as privacy!). If you want something basically slim and "Winamp Like", then look into Audacious Media Player instead.

Of course, there are the proprietary and windows-only options like Winamp, AIMP, MusicBee, MusicMonkey etc... if for some reason one of the above doesn't suit you.

Yeah they can play a plethora of file types. Too bad most android phones are equipped with POS audio hardware.

Thats one of the biggest issues i had with android, my phone is my primary music player and each phone was a different issue. Some just had garbage DACs and sounded like shit no matter what, some wouldnt do AD2P without noise issues.

Theres no perfect solution for guys like myself. The iphones have great audio hardware but you have to fuck with itunes and and compatible formats etc.. Android can work with just about any file type and program on the planet but 9 times out of 10 have sub par hardware unless you are in the EU for whatever reason they get good android phones for music. I now have a lumia 928 that sounds fantastic but has fuck all for apps.

Yeah they can play a plethora of file types. Too bad most android phones are equipped with POS audio hardware.

Thats one of the biggest issues i had with android, my phone is my primary music player and each phone was a different issue. Some just had garbage DACs and sounded like shit no matter what, some wouldnt do AD2P without noise issues.

Theres no perfect solution for guys like myself. The iphones have great audio hardware but you have to fuck with itunes and and compatible formats etc.. Android can work with just about any file type and program on the planet but 9 times out of 10 have sub par hardware unless you are in the EU for whatever reason they get good android phones for music. I now have a lumia 928 that sounds fantastic but has fuck all for apps.
As a low-grade audiophile myself, I feel you on this. I have to say though that the DAC on my AT&T Galaxy S3 seems good enough for portable/car use -- i.e., I can't hear any background noise at any volume (unless a charger is plugged into the phone, but that's another story).

PowerAMP has been my app of choice for years. However, I've yet to find an Android app that does true gapless playback in the vein of foobar2000. That's another annoyance to us perfectionists, but then our needs always seem to be marginalized on every platform, no matter how trivial to implement or fix.

Back