Moving from i9900k to 5900x (or 5950x)..my first AMD build since Phenom ii !

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Well,
I considered AMD several times before especially on my more recent build but the performance was never right for my needs. Just before I was about to decide between AMD and the 8600K , the 9900k showed up and it was the perfect combination of performance and cores at the time for my needs.
But now that (well still have to wait for reviews), the single-core performance surpassed Intel there is no reason for me to not migrate to AMD.
Guess the question is, what MOBO to go with, hope that my GSkill fancy Royal ram works with it lol
Anyways, this is going to be my 9900k to Zen3 build thread with an RTX 3080. :)

Any suggestions on mobo are welcome as well.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Keeping an eye on your thread as I'm in the same boat . Needed a board for my boxed 9900KF but going to hold off and go AMD for the first in a very long time.

Same boat here also My 9900ks has been nice and runs fairly cool but upgrading to a 5900x looks like the pros will out weigh the cons.

Pros:
1.same or better single core performance.
2. multicore performance nice increase.
3.Pci 4.0 for nvme ssd
4.Newer chipset
5.Less power usage , loop will run a bit cooler less heat feeding my gpu
6. still get a decent price for my old gear now if i sale

I've been running the MSI MEG ACE since moving to Ryzen and I'm very happy with it. Not the cheapest option but it has been absolutely problem free from the start. It also supports bios updating without cpu or ram installed and you'll likely need that as the cpu will require a bios update to run properly.

Well,
I considered AMD several times before especially on my more recent build but the performance was never right for my needs. Just before I was about to decide between AMD and the 8600K , the 9900k showed up and it was the perfect combination of performance and cores at the time for my needs.
But now that (well still have to wait for reviews), the single-core performance surpassed Intel there is no reason for me to not migrate to AMD.
Guess the question is, what MOBO to go with, hope that my GSkill fancy Royal ram works with it lol
Anyways, this is going to be my 9900k to Zen3 build thread. :)

Any suggestions on mobo are welcome as well.

Thank you!

Here is the real question: How much do you want to spend?

You do typically need to spend pretty close to $300 to get a decent VRM in most cases. There is at least the one exception of the MSI X570 Tomahawk which only really exists because MSI got hammered by most reviewers for putting out so many terrible budget X570 boards that were saddled with almost inadequate VRM's for some use cases. The Tomahawk is about $200 or so. Below $300, you have options that are certainly fine for 8c/16t CPU's regardless of what you are doing. Those same boards handle 12c/24t and 16c/32t CPU's to varying degrees at stock speeds, but can handle them. When overclocking, longevity seems like wishful thinking on those parts.

VRM's not withstanding, higher end boards usually cost more because they have more expensive hardware integrated into their design. Some features are nice things like better audio or network controllers. Others are build related. Nice peace of mind but not necessarily needed. There are also plenty of options in between. You'll really have to narrow things down before I could recommend anything specific. You can spend anywhere from $160 to $800 on an X570 motherboard.

@the_real - "3.Pci 4.0 for nvme ssd" specific reason why you need that? thinking just future proofing? Or you do a lot of larger file work like video editing? Cause other wise it has no benefit to day to day usage or gaming.

Here is the real question: How much do you want to spend?

You do typically need to spend pretty close to $300 to get a decent VRM in most cases. There is at least the one exception of the MSI X570 Tomahawk which only really exists because MSI got hammered by most reviewers for putting out so many terrible budget X570 boards that were saddled with almost inadequate VRM's for some use cases. The Tomahawk is about $200 or so. Below $300, you have options that are certainly fine for 8c/16t CPU's regardless of what you are doing. Those same boards handle 12c/24t and 16c/32t CPU's to varying degrees at stock speeds, but can handle them. When overclocking, longevity seems like wishful thinking on those parts.

VRM's not withstanding, higher end boards usually cost more because they have more expensive hardware integrated into their design. Some features are nice things like better audio or network controllers. Others are build related. Nice peace of mind but not necessarily needed. There are also plenty of options in between. You'll really have to narrow things down before I could recommend anything specific. You can spend anywhere from $160 to $800 on an X570 motherboard.
I am leaning towards the Asus hero right now as it has a LOT of USB ports and 8 Sata ports both of which can benefit from but not sure yet if that one can be upgraded to support the CPU and without a cpu to do so.

I am leaning towards the Asus hero right now as it has a LOT of USB ports and 8 Sata ports both of which can benefit from but not sure yet if that one can be upgraded to support the CPU and without a cpu to do so.

Yes. All the mainline ROG motherboards support the BIOS Flashback feature. At least, all the ones I've ever seen. I'm unsure about the ROG Strix line, it's lower tier and I've only reviewed a couple of those and can't recall off hand if they do or not. While we don't have all the information on the Dark version, upgraded versions of existing motherboards tend to support all the features of their predecessors and then some. I'm unsure of its VRM though. ASUS likes to say something is a 14 or 16 phase VRM when it's really not.

Yes. All the mainline ROG motherboards support the BIOS Flashback feature. At least, all the ones I've ever seen. I'm unsure about the ROG Strix line, it's lower tier and I've only reviewed a couple of those and can't recall off hand if they do or not. While we don't have all the information on the Dark version, upgraded versions of existing motherboards tend to support all the features of their predecessors and then some. I'm unsure of its VRM though. ASUS likes to say something is a 14 or 16 phase VRM when it's really not.
Looks like I will be picking between the Formula and the Hero since both have a lot of USB and 8 Sata ports. Not too concerned about VRMs. I do OC as you can see from my 9900k but I am not sure how much we can get from this AMD cpus OCing all cores so probably any OC I will do wont be too extreme.

PS Just noticed the MSI Prestige also has a lot of USBs...guess I better research a lot more. lol

Dan, as one the top motherboard gurus which AMD 5XX boards would you recommend for the following approximate MSRP (ignoring Microcenter sales and the like) price points: $150, $200, $250, $300, $400, and $500?

I have not used AMD since the AthlonXP days... but if benchmarks show these new Ryzen's beating the crap out of Intel on all fronts, I may finally replace my 5960x platform with a new AMD system. Not looking forward to learning how to overclock on AMD though... lol. I had it down to a science on Intel. :p

I have not used AMD since the AthlonXP days... but if benchmarks show these new Ryzen's beating the crap out of Intel on all fronts, I may finally replace my 5960x platform with a new AMD system. Not looking forward to learning how to overclock on AMD though... lol. I had it down to a science on Intel. :p
same here . . . last time i saw amd was the x2 processor and even then both systems overclocked the same . . . but as much as i love intel she has messed up and im moving on

There's always PBO which seems very viable for most cases. Doesn't replace manual clocking but is sufficient while you workout your bios profiles.

@the_real - "3.Pci 4.0 for nvme ssd" specific reason why you need that? thinking just future proofing? Or you do a lot of larger file work like video editing? Cause other wise it has no benefit to day to day usage or gaming.
Sorry late reply, you are correct in saying that PCI 4.0 has benefit on regular basis since wo don't even saturate the bus , but if you want the latest nvme cards , you need PCI 4.0 to get the speed benefits

Sorry late reply, you are correct in saying that PCI 4.0 has benefit on regular basis since wo don't even saturate the bus , but if you want the latest nvme cards , you need PCI 4.0 to get the speed benefits

I mean if we're honest this entire upgrade is completely unnecessary. OP will get very small benefits unless he has work-related apps that can utilize the extra cores. His 9900K set up should be great for gaming for the next 3 years or so since the new consoles are also 8 cores.

Just to be clear here I'm not trying to derail the thread at all about need vs. wants, just that MrGuv might want to take note that OP obviously does not care about performance per dollar or any of that, he just wants the newest/fastest available.

I mean if we're honest this entire upgrade is completely unnecessary. OP will get very small benefits unless he has work-related apps that can utilize the extra cores. His 9900K set up should be great for gaming for the next 3 years or so since the new consoles are also 8 cores.

Just to be clear here I'm not trying to derail the thread at all about need vs. wants, just that MrGuv might want to take note that OP obviously does not care about performance per dollar or any of that, he just wants the newest/fastest available.
Well said . . . just matters how bad your itch i guess

Well I AM the OP but most of the discussion got derailed to other users instead. In any case, I DO have many apps/reasons to want more cores and since now I wont have to sacrifice gaming either, that is why I finally decided to move to AMD with the 5950x

Last edited:
Back