Moving from i7-930 to i9-10850K. 10 Year gap. Need to reinstall Windows?

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, as the title says, I am moving from my old i7-930 BIOS to i9-10850K UEFI after so long. Do I need to reinstall my Windows partitions (I have two) or can I just continue as business as usual? Of course this means a whole new motherboard too lol

If I were you, I would. Are you not upgrading to SSD or to a larger SSD? A clean install will get rid of a lot of temp and junk files and usually will speed up the computer (quite) a bit.

If I were you, I would. Are you not upgrading to SSD or to a larger SSD? A clean install will get rid of a lot of temp and junk files and usually will speed up the computer (quite) a bit.
I will be upgrading to a larger OS drive for sure. I'm thinking one of those NVME SSDs if I can get one for 500GB max. I was also think I might replace my 1 TB SSD to bigger one for more games later on.

I mean I need to change my drives to be UEFI compartible right... that whole GPT thing? And how would windows know to give me the latest instruction sets from Intel. Since my OS is stuck on a 10 year old processor?

Normally if you use windows 10 it should boot, download some updates and drivers and should run, I would recommend making sure you download drivers for the new hardware first so you can install them from a thumbdrive once you are booted up (like shipset drivers, network drivers)

Ofc it would be better to do a clean install, but should not be necessary

I will be upgrading to a larger OS drive for sure. I'm thinking one of those NVME SSDs if I can get one for 500GB max. I was also think I might replace my 1 TB SSD to bigger one for more games later on.

First backup your data to a thumb drive or an external drive. Perform a clean install on the new and larger drive and keep the old drive as a backup. Once the clean install is done then plug in the old drive and move your data to the new drive. Pretty straightforward

First backup your data to a thumb drive or an external drive. Perform a clean install on the new and larger drive and keep the old drive as a backup. Once the clean install is done then plug in the old drive and move your data to the new drive. Pretty straightforward
Oh I don't have the new drive yet. I need to do my research into NVME's first. I was just gonna use my older drive till I find a suitable replacement

Oh, I see. For temporary situation you should be fine. I upgraded an x79 board to an x299 10-core but just swapping the board. Windows took about 30 minutes or so to download and update the drivers and from that point on everything worked fine.

Hi guys, as the title says, I am moving from my old i7-930 BIOS to i9-10850K UEFI after so long. Do I need to reinstall my Windows partitions (I have two) or can I just continue as business as usual? Of course this means a whole new motherboard too lol
Short answer is Yes.

Oh, I see. For temporary situation you should be fine. I upgraded an x79 board to an x299 10-core but just swapping the board. Windows took about 30 minutes or so to download and update the drivers and from that point on everything worked fine.
What about the fact that I intend to upgrade my current SATA 2.5 SSD to an NvME in a few weeks after some research

If l do fresh installs now.Do I just clone these installs unto the NVME whenever I get it. That should work right? Or do I need to do another fresh intall just for a different SSD... albiet a quite different SSD? My current SSD is a Samsung 830. Way back from 2012. The NVME will be a completely different animal. Do I need to go through fresh installs again?

Last edited:
What about the fact that I intend to upgrade my current SATA 2.5 SSD to an NvME in a few weeks after some research

If l do fresh installs now.Do I just clone these installs unto the NVME whenever I get it. That should work right? Or do I need to do another fresh intall just for a different SSD... albiet a quite different SSD? My current SSD is a Samsung 830. Way back from 2012. The NVME will be a completely different animal. Do I need to go through fresh installs again?

No. I moved from a 160gb spinner to a 2tb spinner to a 500gb Samsung 840. Clone clone clone. You don't need to reinstall windows.

There is no such thing as "SATA NVMe" - the "e" implies PCI express.

If you're running windows 10, it should just work. If you're running windows 7, I wouldn't expect it to work.

There is no such thing as "SATA NVMe" - the "e" implies PCI express.

If you're running windows 10, it should just work. If you're running windows 7, I wouldn't expect it to work.
expect what to work?

Compatibility Support Module. Essentially, it allows non-UEFI bios stuff to still work. AKA your old Windows install from your likely non-UEFI X58 motherboard.
Oh it was definitely non UEFI. Do I need to reinstall windows to have my Windows become UEFI or is this a setting you can change from within windows after you've booted in via CSM?

Oh it was definitely non UEFI. Do I need to reinstall windows to have my Windows become UEFI or is this a setting you can change from within windows after you've booted in via CSM?

I'm the wrong person to ask. I reinstall Windows 2-3 times a year, usually with major hardware changes.

Intel graphics doesn't support classic BIOS. I don't know whether the latest AMD/nvidia cards do or not. Point is, you may need to convert to EFI to see anything on your monitor.

Microsoft provides a convienient utility called MBR2GPT to do this.

Last edited:
Exactly. A Windows 10 install off of a USB thumbdrive onto a NVMe drive takes 5 minutes.

While that is true, it's installing the other stuff that you need that also takes time, things add up quickly.

But you are right reinstalling is best.

Well now my Windows is not activiated :( I wish I had known Windows wouldn't transfer to my new Board kirbyrj
Call Microsoft. They will activate it. If they give you a hard time, there are guys on the forum that sell codes for $10.

Call Microsoft. They will activate it. If they give you a hard time, there are guys on the forum that sell codes for $10.
LMAO. Where do I find these guys? :LOL: And do these codes last or am i gonna get another activation error sometime?I can't rememeber the last time I called Microsoft. Forgot the even had a customer support

LMAO. Where do I find these guys? :LOL: And do these codes last or am i gonna get another activation error sometime?I can't rememeber the last time I called Microsoft. Forgot the even had a customer support
I have been using multiple codes here for years. No idea the legality.

Well now my Windows is not activiated :( I wish I had known Windows wouldn't transfer to my new Board kirbyrj

Well, depending on how you got your key the first time, you can transfer it with you. I think it's tied to your MS account.

I just buy them from the forum. They are one time use keys and are tied to the motherboard.

Well, depending on how you got your key the first time, you can transfer it with you. I think it's tied to your MS account.

I just buy them from the forum. They are one time use keys and are tied to the motherboard.
that's what I thought too. my key has been with me since Windows 8. I used it to upgrade to 10. But now my motherboard has changed kirbyrj

that's what I thought too. my key has been with me since Windows 8. I used it to upgrade to 10. But now my motherboard has changed kirbyrj
I still use the key I had with my windows 7 disc when I reload since I did the windows 10 upgrade when it was offered. If you did the same thing from 8, use the windows 8 key if you still have it laying around.

I still use the key I had with my windows 7 disc when I reload since I did the windows 10 upgrade when it was offered. If you did the same thing from 8, use the windows 8 key if you still have it laying around.
Ah, the issue is that my Win 8 key was from my school which required me to install it first. then install over it as an "upgrade". It's a bit tricky now that I've moved to WIndows 10. Might have to repeat the same trick but that would require, installing over my current dual boot. This should not be this complicated. Microsoft makes us create Windows accounts but isn't smart enough to tie certain keys to our accounts...

I am looking at that original CD and it says pre-existing OS license and product key required

Ah, the issue is that my Win 8 key was from my school which required me to install it first. then install over it as an "upgrade". It's a bit tricky now that I've moved to WIndows 10. Might have to repeat the same trick but that would require, installing over my current dual boot. This should not be this complicated. Microsoft makes us create Windows accounts but isn't smart enough to tie certain keys to our accounts...

I am looking at that original CD and it says pre-existing OS license and product key required
Ahh, ok. Sorry, my version of windows 7 was a retail copy and had the key printed on a sheet of paper inside it that I've managed to not lose for all these years, hope I can continue to say that in case I need to reinstall again, lol. I don't install 7 when I have to reinstall, just install 10 and use the key from 7 and it activates with no problem. Honestly, the only time I had an issue activating it was when I first did it since I was sent an upgrade edition of 7 and tried to install it as a fresh install on a new HD as I was keeping my previous install on its existing HD in case there was an issue with 7.

edo101.....buy a new Windows 10 here: https://www.keysoff.com/windows-10-professional-32-64-bit-html.html

I bought a bunch of keys from some of the members in the For Sale section and every time Windows had to be upgraded to a new super-uber update, after the update it said my Windows was not activated and then when I contacted the "seller", they were pissed like I was trying to scam them, so I ain't buy keys from them. At least I've updated Windows twice and no problem with the keys sold on that link.
Thanks! Can you use 1 key to dual boot?

You won’t speak a real person at Microsoft. It’s all automated and actually not too difficult.

but there are a few people on the forum who sell legit keys. I have a few keys still running fine after 3+ years. And I’ve bought multiple.

edo101.....buy a new Windows 10 here: https://www.keysoff.com/windows-10-professional-32-64-bit-html.html

I bought a bunch of keys from some of the members in the For Sale section and every time Windows had to be upgraded to a new super-uber update, after the update it said my Windows was not activated and then when I contacted the "seller", they were pissed like I was trying to scam them, so I ain't buy keys from them. At least I've updated Windows twice and no problem with the keys sold on that link.

I have never once had that problem. I bought from probably two or three different guys in FS and they have all worked fine even after updates. I've wiped out the drive and started over years later and the key was still tied to the motherboard.

Last edited:

Interesting since
A) I would not trust some random third party site before a long time forum member
And...
B) I have bought at least 5 keys in 5 years here between two long standing members, always keep my OS up to eat and have NEVER had a single issue with anything.
Seems like you’ve had a bad experience and you’re peddling alternatives.

Last edited:
Back