Moving from FT02 Red to Corsair 540 Orange

yenniedn

2[H]4U
Hey Fellow [H]'ers:

Haven't posted in awhile because I haven't done much with my computer recently. Used to upgrade almost every component in my system regularly but have been too busy with work and kids to play around much with my computer. The FT02 Limited Edition Red case shown below remains my favorite case of all time - but I've been using it for 2-3 (or more) years and it was time for some new blood.

This was my setup for the last couple of years:
case1a.jpg

Then I started seeing a lot of nice builds around the Corsair 540 so I picked one up at Fry's and did some quick ghetto "modding" (yes, I've got a thing for all things orange):

case6.jpg

case7.jpg

case8.jpg

Reassembled everything, slapped in a few new parts (moved to a H100i from a H80i, an EVGA GTX780 Ti Classified from an Asus 7970, and a handful of SP120 fans) and ended up with the following:

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

case4.jpg

case5.jpg

And the completed setup:

office1.jpg

office2.jpg

Summary: The FT02 is a much nicer case in terms of build quality but the 540 is really easy to work with and very functional. The combination of moving to the H100i and the 540 dropped the idle temps on my OC'ed 3930k down to the low 30's from the low 40's *C in the FT02. This is really impressive considering that I've got all of the SP120's running at minimum speed through the Zalman fan controller - which also means that the fan noise is considerably lower than the FT02 was. The wires on the back (PSU) side on the 540 is a rat's nest but it doesn't matter since you never see it.

Overall, very happy with the move to the new case . . . just wish that Corsair will release a higher quality version of the 540 next time around. The frame and panels are all pretty thin and feel pretty flimsy; the case looks nice until/unless you inspect it up close. Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to buy a better build version next year!

Last edited:
Nice job, I like the new setup! A little off topic but what kind of chair is that?

Nice job, I like the new setup! A little off topic but what kind of chair is that?

Thank you. The chair is a Herman Miller Embody. I have a bad back from years of golf and that chair was some of the best money I've ever spent - can sit in it for hours without any discomfort.

The case looks great. Why not paint the trim rings on the Corsair fans in matching orange?

^ This. It was my first thought also.

Sweet set-up all around.

Thanks for posting this - I just did a rebuild of my FT02 (see sig for parts) and I was seriously considering moving to a different case to improve the space/presentation potential. However I love my fortress so much I can't commit to picking a case.

This 540 build really opened my mind.

DSC03260.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on a similar boat. I have the RV02. The case itself has a very unique and effective design. However, it is dated, and does lack a bit of room for further expansion. I built my comp back in 2010, and I ultimately wanted a FT02 (but I was just fresh out of college so budget was hindering me from getting the FT02). Now looking at the FT02, they are upwards of near $300 for the case. I'm just debating if I should stick w/ my RV02 in my new build or just grab a new case all together. The Corsair 540 is a likely candidate.

The more I see of the 540 the more I want it.

The orange looks much better than I expected it would when I clicked this thread!

Nice build. Going with a 540 myself next week. I like how you turned the case sideways for maximum view of that window et al. Going to do the same.

every one of these I see gets me more sold on the 540 as my next case. Love the black/orange color scheme.

Just got my 540 yesterday and put the guts in. Definitely thinking my first mod will be to paint the mesh grills. Going for the opposite look of the OP I guess. He kept the grills black. I'll keep the case black with just the colored highlights. Not sure what color, leaning towards red I suppose.

Just got my 540 yesterday and put the guts in. Definitely thinking my first mod will be to paint the mesh grills. Going for the opposite look of the OP I guess. He kept the grills black. I'll keep the case black with just the colored highlights. Not sure what color, leaning towards red I suppose.

I'm on my way to the hardware store to pick the color of my grills today. My thinking is the same as yours, I just want the grills painted to accent what Im doing inside. I'll post what Ive got done after this weekend.
DSC05169_copy.jpg

DSC05170_copy.jpg

Looks shitty now but Ill sand it out and apply touch up, then light sanding and they'll clean up well. the rings of the AF140s came out pretty solid on one coat though. Next step will be the PSU sleeving.

Last edited:
Ok heres my ghetto mod. Didn't want to start a new thread because my inspiration for even buy the case came from this thread.

Spray painting sucks, not going to do it again, next time I'll take the time to have vinyl dye mixed because fitment becomes an issue with the paint.

Before...
2pr7h47.jpg

And after.
2ephxtu.jpg

juvo07.jpg

I haven't put the painted fan rings in yet, maybe later this afternoon once I feel life messing with the radiator again. Now I'm off to Microcenter to pick up 1 EVGA 780ti SC to replace the 2 680's, and 2 more AF 140s to replace the LED fans supplied with the case. I'm having some custom sleeved extensions done, and I'll probably pick up a small LED strip for the interior ceiling to finish it out. But yeah, this case is a boss.

Ok heres my ghetto mod. Didn't want to start a new thread because my inspiration for even buy the case came from this thread.

Spray painting sucks, not going to do it again, next time I'll take the time to have vinyl dye mixed because fitment becomes an issue with the paint.

Before...
2pr7h47.jpg

And after.
2ephxtu.jpg

juvo07.jpg

I haven't put the painted fan rings in yet, maybe later this afternoon once I feel life messing with the radiator again. Now I'm off to Microcenter to pick up 1 EVGA 780ti SC to replace the 2 680's, and 2 more AF 140s to replace the LED fans supplied with the case. I'm having some custom sleeved extensions done, and I'll probably pick up a small LED strip for the interior ceiling to finish it out. But yeah, this case is a boss.

Very nice. I was actually thinking of the mesh part myself but what you did really pops. Its probably overkill to do the mesh and the grates as well. Decisions decisions

Yeah, I looked at some of the grill paintings and decided I wanted to be loader than that.
Here are some more pics, now with the fan rings and the 780 ti installed.

eprrxi.jpg

2a9tgfp.jpg

11so5yu.jpg

30mbrlw.jpg

35a0l0g.jpg

qs83o9.jpg

2i6hcm.jpg

2ebfznr.jpg

15dlag8.jpg

I guess the next thing I'm going to do is upgrade to Dominator Platinums - but I'll add a second 780Ti first. I also added a really short LED run in the fans of the x60 rad.

Last edited:
Back