Moving from E6320 to E2180 worth it?

[+Duracell-]

Limp Gawd
Right now I have my E6320 OCed to 2.8Ghz (400x7). From what I'm reading, the E2180 will OC past 3Ghz easily with an aftermarket cooler (I have the Freezer 7 Pro). And I am quite CPU-limited at the resolution I play at (1280x1024). The question is...will there be much of a difference between the two when OCed?

No.

They'll perform about the same since the E6320 has a 4MB L2 cache whereas the E2180 only has a 1MB L2 cache. So it'll be a side-grade.

Try pushing the OC on your E6320 a little further.

No, at best you'll get roughly the same performance, at worst you get a dud E2180 that struggles to hit 3GHz and you actually downgrade. :p

Not worth it.

MIGHT be worth it... if you were getting a better chip which actually would give you a much higher clock. Like an e8400 @ 4+Ghz vs your e6320 @ 2.8Ghz

But 2.8Ghz to 3.3+-Ghz... not really worth the time or money.

M'kay. I'm just kinda worried about my FPS in CS:S, mainly. I have a good video card, but I don't understand why it dips below 100FPS at times. A quick 5-min FRAPS benchmark of me playing in a map (de_nightfever) gets me 62min, 144max, and 94.7avg FPS. I think I should be getting a bit higher, or at the very least, a higher min fps.

[+Duracell-];1032882293 said:
A quick 5-min FRAPS benchmark of me playing in a map (de_nightfever) gets me 62min, 144max, and 94.7avg FPS. I think I should be getting a bit higher, or at the very least, a higher min fps.

Well you are running FRAPs at the same time and that does affect your FPS IIRC.

I don't play multiplayer FPSes, but if you're using an LCD as most people are nowadays, does it make any difference, provided it's over 60fps, considering that the data's only being sent to the display at 60fps in most cases due to a 60Hz refresh rate*? I thought that the only effects of rendering faster than the display is updated were negative (tearing, and thus the need for Vsync), but I might be wrong on this.

* No, LCDs don't have a "refesh rate" in the way CRTs do, I know. But the computer treats most LCDs as 60Hz displays and thus sends the data down the cable at 60fps?

Going with an Allendale chip wouldn't be worth it. If anything, get yourself an E7200 or E5200 when they come out. Otherwise, stick with your current CPU.

M'kay. I'm just kinda worried about my FPS in CS:S, mainly. I have a good video card, but I don't understand why it dips below 100FPS at times. A quick 5-min FRAPS benchmark of me playing in a map (de_nightfever) gets me 62min, 144max, and 94.7avg FPS. I think I should be getting a bit higher, or at the very least, a higher min fps.

i feel you on the CSS part, CSS is the only game i play.. try to save up and get an E8400..you will have a wonderfull experience.. there is no need to OC it to 4 Ghz..a nice solid stable 3.6 ghz is good enouuuuuuugh

I have the exact same setup as you, and I get above 100 consistent in source.

I have the 6320 at 2.8, Sapphire 4850, 2GB of DDR2 800 Patriot Extreme, running windows XP.

My last bench mark was with my Proc at 1.8, and I still got 190ish.

Sell the one you have and put that with the money for the E2180 and get a better CPU, NOT a E2180. Most top at about 3.2GHz wile if you get one like mine you will not be able to push past 3GHz.

CS:S is CPU limited so that's why this happens. But honestly why do you need more than 60FPS? Also going to the E2180 would have a negative impact on performance even with a higher clock, at least in CS:S. Source games are very cache hungry.

Sure you don't have any running in the background? A simple CPU spike can bring your min framerate down like that.

Back