Moving from a GTX 980 it an RTX 2080, driver question.

Redmud

Weaksauce
Hello Guys,

I am about to head out to Micro Center a buy a RTX 2080. My question is can I just update the drivers to the latest while the 980 is still in the machine and then just swap the cards? Will that work or do I have to do the DDU thing?

CPU 4790K
MB MSI Z97 gaming 5
Windows 10

Thanks

In theory it should work, but I would recommend wiping the drivers with a DDU safe mode uninstall.

Choose uninstall and shut down, and then swap the cards before installing Nvidia latest.

In theory it should work, but I would recommend wiping the drivers with a DDU safe mode uninstall.

Choose uninstall and shut down, and then swap the cards before installing Nvidia latest.

Thanks

Wont Windows attempt to install its own driver when it comes back up? Before I have a chance to install the Nvidia one?

Yes, Windows does that so you should be quick about it. Make sure to download the driver first.

Yes it will. Download the driver and DDU first. Then disconnect from the internet. Then do the safe mode unininstall with DDU, shut down the computer, install the new GPU, turn the computer back on, then install the new driver. Then turn the internet back on. This way you won’t have to worry about Microsoft installing a driver you don’t want.

tenor.gif

What DDU?
Just install drivers and you are good to go. It is not Win98 era but the same driver from the same company.
Even when moving eg. from AMD to NV it is ennough to uninstall drivers using official uninstaller. There will no benefit of using some hacky tools to uninstall drivers.

What DDU?
Just install drivers and you are good to go. It is not Win98 era but the same driver from the same company.
Even when moving eg. from AMD to NV it is ennough to uninstall drivers using official uninstaller. There will no benefit of using some hacky tools to uninstall drivers.

I said that until the other day, but I had a problem installing Nvidia drivers because MS downloads something other than the "standard" driver from the website. So when I went to install the newly downloaded "standard" drivers, it said it was incompatible with the driver I had installed. The solution was to use DDU and revert to no driver and then reinstall the "standard" driver while not being connected to the internet to prevent MS from downloading the non-standard driver again.

What DDU?
It is hard to tell if you are being sarcastic or truly that clueless. o_O

Yeah, DDU has saved my ass multiple times.

In an ideal world, the Nvidia/AMD installer would work no problem.

However, that is often not the case in the real world.

Are you seeing just how fucking dumb you can make yourself look?
State purpose of your hateful bullshit or GTFO

Using driver uninstalation tools is only required when it is reqired, otherwise it does absolutely nothing, especially with the same GPU company in what is basically the same driver. If anythig stays in system after installing new drivers it is driver cache which is mostly taking few megabytes of disk space, not worth effort of removing it.

BTW. if there is more to it then you can enlighten me instead of behaving like stupid f*ck

Last edited:
In recent times I've never had any issues just uninstalling the current driver using its own uninstaller and installing the new version for the new card. I've done this from 670 -> 980 -> 1080 without any problems.

Now if I were switching from AMD to NVIDIA or vice-versa, I would try to wipe out any remnant of the old driver using a third party program like DDU done while in safe mode.

I've had issues in the past with just changing out cards or even doing a simple uninstall of the driver before the swap. DDU has always prevented issues in my situation. Plus, the way I look at it, there is no reason to not start fresh with a new video card.

Well, I just gave a use case for DDU, so it has a purpose. I don't normally use it though.

Back