Moving from 5800X3D to an Intel 13900K build. Worth it?

Move from 5800X3D to Intel 13900K?

• Total voters

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
Was wondering if this update is worth the trouble?

Also if you were to build a system can you recommend me a good motherboard (not more than 250-300$), best ram (that I can run XMP and tight timings rather than overclocking) and CPU cooler that will just work (no need for brackets or stupid contact issues like the 12 series CPU).

Not looking to spend more than 1 G for this nonsense.

I play at 4K DLDSR or 1440P 240 Hz.

Anyone done a similar upgrade? Results? I care for gaming only.

What’s up?

I will answer for me I would do it cause I have done it. No noticeable difference in PC Gaming that I could see unless your looking at FPS counter all the time.
I change PC gear all the time and PC Game at 4K but sometimes I play PC Games at 2K and use GPU's that are not as powerful and still no real difference.

Well I can BS all day long but your 5800X3D is 100% fine for PC Gaming. I guess you can read stuff on the internet that at this one place in Cyberpunk 2077 you get lower FPS on 5800X3D but with 13900K I get 20% more FPS in that one spot. You can let that stuff get in your head or not. Buy whatever you want and accept it for what it is ,do not fall for hype on the internet.

I am the wrong person to answer you query because I like PC Gaming as a hobby and buy whatever I want,some my PC Rigs in the last few months.
Sept 2022 AMD 7700X/RTX 3090

Oct 2022 12900K/RTX 3090

Oct 2022 12600K/RTX 4090

Nov 2022 13700KF/RTX 3070Ti

Here is one for you if you like your e-peen big take a look at this 13th overclock on my 13700KF
psvhi.jpg

It seems we are in the realm of ever diminishing returns. The only reason to upgrade a CPU within 2 years would be you screwed up massive with the first one (bought a $100 chip) and underestimated your needs.

But that's not the case here. This is upgrading because you can, not because you should. Save the money for something more important.

RTX 4090 is a 4k card, so on 1440p with 5800x3D you bottleneck it a bit.
But the best you can do at moment is to wait for 7800x3D (or other x3D) reviews before doing anything.
At all with [email protected]+ and DDR5@6800+, you will have better results, especially at 1% and 0.1% low.
But as gerardfraser said, if you don't see any FPS problems or do not use any FPS counter - you can stay with your current CPU.

Thanks for all the comments. Seems general consensus is NO. Reason the penis itch came is because I saw a couple of videos where 13900K was performing almost 15-20% higher in 4K. That was YouTube not an established site or something. I was like maybe I am missing out. I love hardware and playing around with it and yes I can buy whatever I want to also. However, I try to stay away from purely vane and stupid purchases. 13900K for 20% perf at 4K seemed like a solid upgrade.

Any reliable 5800X3D vs. 13900K benches I can see at 4K? I play with DLDSR 4K or 1440P 240 Hz depending on game and need. Right now my 4090 is pushing frames in most games in the order of 120-180 fps in 4K.

Thanks for all the comments. Seems general consensus is NO. Reason the penis itch came is because I saw a couple of videos where 13900K was performing almost 15-20% higher in 4K. That was YouTube not an established site or something. I was like maybe I am missing out. I love hardware and playing around with it and yes I can buy whatever I want to also. However, I try to stay away from purely vane and stupid purchases. 13900K for 20% perf at 4K seemed like a solid upgrade.

Any reliable 5800X3D vs. 13900K benches I can see at 4K? I play with DLDSR 4K or 1440P 240 Hz depending on game and need. Right now my 4090 is pushing frames in most games in the order of 120-180 fps in 4K.
You have one of the best setup in ddr4 platform:
>>> X3D chip
>>> X570 chipset
>>> 32gb kit of B-Die goodness running 3733 c14

What more could you ask except itch for upgrade? haha
I think your platform setup can last you one more generation before Intel release it's 14th gen and AMD's 8000/x3d series.

Even delidded 13900K under water at 5.8ghz can't max out a 4090 sub 4K in 99% of games, just enjoy what you have or you'll spend a ton of money for a minor upgrade. I know if I changed my 12700KF my 4090 might get a few more frames too but it doesn't make any sense this gen.

Only reason I upgraded was Microcenter had combo for 335 USD. No gaming issues at 2K/144Hz with 5820K(2013) and a 3080 GPU. Did load down CPU to 85 % for some games.

There would be no great reason to move from the 5800X3D to the 13900k. Unfortunately with the X3D CPUs it's harder to over-simplify things and just say "This CPU is better than that CPU". That's because some games benefit tremendously from the extra L3 Cache while others hardly benefit at all. With that in mind, I would look up benchmarks of the games that you actually play and see which category those games fall into. In the main game that I play, the 5800X3D is hugely faster than the 13900k, and switching to the 13900k would be a massive downgrade.

Also, even if the games that you play do happen to favor the 13900k, it's different when you already have a 5800X3D compared to if you had some older CPU and were wondering which CPU to upgrade to. Even in the games where the 13900k is faster, the 5800X3D is almost never too far behind. Since you already have a 5800X3D, I think that it would make sense to wait for the next generation at this point. That would also allow time for the DDR5 market to settle down a bit.

I came from a Threadripper 3970x to the 13900kf. It is def a better performing CPU for my overall needs if that helps your decision.

I was checking out the 13900K perf numbers on COD MW2 MP at 4K and it seems they are about 20 fps higher than my system. Will investigate more.
I am hitting about 170-180 fps whereas a 13900K hits about 200-220 fps depending on scene. That seems like a significant difference especially in a competitive MP game.

It really depends on the games you play. For some the big cashe really does provide a boost. Others though not so much and at 4k it is a moot point 95% of the time.

I side-graded from a 5800x to 5800x3d. I knew it wouldn't be much of an upgrade but I did it for only two specific games, Microsoft flight simulator and Planetside 2. For both of those I saw a 20% increase and I knew that before buying.

For 4K? Hell no unless you got money to burn and an itch to play with new hardware (the itch can be real).

For 2K? If you have framerate issues, it "might" help, but the 5800X3D is no slouch for gaming. Sure, maybe the 13900K can crush it in ST performance, but at the crazy low resolutions and high frames they push to see the differences, it will likely make little to no difference in your REAL gaming experience.

For gaming? I can't see it mattering much. I went from an 8700k to a 13900k mostly because I just wanted a new toy and it doesn't really seem to matter at least for the games I've played so far. Most games don't seem to hit the CPU that hard and either my 3090 or my refresh rate maxes out before the CPU is a bottleneck.

Silly idea imho. X3D CPU's are known to be excellent for games and if your only demanding use case for your PC are games then it makes sense to stick with what you got and maybe get next one of Zen4 X3D processors when these come out.

As for 13900K it might be even better on average and more future-proof but its only real strength is performance in programs, both single* and multi. Getting it for games when AMD is currently on top of the world is only good choice for "Intel Inside" people* who for whatever reason only want to use Intel based CPU's.

*) Fastest CPU in single-thread performance to date. Excluding maybe KS variant.
**) Read "Crazy People" 🤪

Silly idea imho. X3D CPU's are known to be excellent for games and if your only demanding use case for your PC are games then it makes sense to stick with what you got and maybe get next one of Zen4 X3D processors when these come out.

As for 13900K it might be even better on average and more future-proof but its only real strength is performance in programs, both single* and multi. Getting it for games when AMD is currently on top of the world is only good choice for "Intel Inside" people* who for whatever reason only want to use Intel based CPU's.

*) Fastest CPU in single-thread performance to date. Excluding maybe KS variant.
**) Read "Crazy People" 🤪
If you game at 4K, the 13900K is the processor to buy. It averages 10+ FPS in almost all titles over everything else out there. That's significant when maintaining 60 FPS is a damn struggle at 4K (with max settings).

It's a beast for anything single threaded as you have said.

I'm within a couple % (1-4) of the KS after spending no more than a couple hours tweaking the CPU and my RAM in Gear 1.

I am fucking crazy. So, I guess the processor suits me. (y)

I think your system is fine, and you don't need to upgrade.
That said, we all have our hobbies. If yours is building new systems (as mine used to be) and the income allocated to the cost of the components is completely disposable, then go for it.

That said, we all have our hobbies. If yours is building new systems (as mine used to be) and the income allocated to the cost of the components is completely disposable, then go for it.
I think KAC is doing the prudent thing and seeing how the X3D Zen 4 does. It would be a waste of time now building a top end Intel system to find out it is second rate in the same month. Of course if one has the money, loves building stuff, have both of the best (have your cake and eat it to mentality).

That's pretty much it really. Got cash to burn and it sounds like fun? Maybe go for it but keep reading. Gotta watch your budget? Don't. Also consider other stuff you might buy. Like I built a new rig in late 2020. Beginning of 2022 (so like 1.2 years later) I got that upgrade itch again. Did I build a new rig? Nah. Pulled some fiber around the house and upgraded my network to 10Gb. Totally unnecessary, but so was upgrading a 1.2yo rig and messing around with fiber, 10Gb switch, and a "real" router was more fun than yet another PC build. Also added commercial WiFi APs & set up VLANs and multiple WiFi SSIDs. In other words there's more than one way to scratch "the itch". If yet another PC makes no sense for what you do with one think about other stuff you could do to scratch the itch.

I would sell the 5800x3D while it is still worth a fair bit of money, and buy a 13600k, then overclock that. In real gaming you won't notice a huge difference, and you'll probably profit from it.

For gaming? I can't see it mattering much. I went from an 8700k to a 13900k mostly because I just wanted a new toy and it doesn't really seem to matter at least for the games I've played so far. Most games don't seem to hit the CPU that hard and either my 3090 or my refresh rate maxes out before the CPU is a bottleneck.
I have noticed a rather huge difference going from 9900k->13600k in terms of min framerates, esp in cyberpunk. I think you may be limited by your graphics card or something.

I have noticed a rather huge difference going from 9900k->13600k in terms of min framerates, esp in cyberpunk. I think you may be limited by your graphics card or something.
I mean, I suppose it is possible, there are a couple of more powerful GPUs out there than mine, but not many. As I noted I have a 3090. Perhaps min fps just doesn't bother me as much as some, maybe because I always play on VRR displays.

I mean, I suppose it is possible, there are a couple of more powerful GPUs out there than mine, but not many. As I noted I have a 3090. Perhaps min fps just doesn't bother me as much as some, maybe because I always play on VRR displays.
I play on a 3080ti/4k60 setup with VRR, I noticed the difference.. maybe everyone's different?

Ok so I waited. It seems 13900K is the better all around CPU. 7800X3D beats it by 2-3% but that is without overclocking. For me power consumption is a non issue.

What would you do? Buy 13900K, buy 7800X3D or wait for next gen and skip.

I play 4K DLDSR or 1440P native on a 240 Hz Gsync monitor.

Rest of specs in sig.

Ok so I waited. It seems 13900K is the better all around CPU. 7800X3D beats it by 2-3% but that is without overclocking. For me power consumption is a non issue.

Rest of specs in sig.

The answer really hasn't changed. Looking at averages isn't taking into account the nuances of 3D cache. In some games it REALLY helps. In some games it only helps a bit. In other things like productivity apps it's almost counterproductive due to the lower clockspeeds generally associated with 3D cache chips/CCDs.

So look up benchmarks for the games that you actually play and care about. For me, the main game that I play is ~20% faster on the 5800X3D compared to the 13900k. Averages based on a bunch of games that I don't play are meaningless.

Also, you're talking about a complete platform upgrade. CPU+Motherboard+RAM is hugely expensive, and hard to justify when you're coming from a platform that is barely one generation old - but it's your money.

You could collect some data of your own. Monitor GPU utilization on a 2nd monitor while you play your games. If your GPU utilization is at 100% then a CPU upgrade would be useless. If your GPU utilization is less than 100%, and you're not pegged at max FPS/refresh rate, then you could either crank up the resolution/settings or do a CPU upgrade.

If you do decide to go for the platform upgrade, I think that the 7800X3D would be the safer choice. You'll likely have a better upgrade path in the future (new CPUs in existing motherboard), and it would be more of a direct upgrade to your 5800X3D rather than a pros/cons situation. The 13900k is old news at this point anyway... and efficiency cores are pointless.

You know what? You live once. Buy what makes you happy. I went from a 12700k to a 13700k because I do not want to buy anything for at least 4 years. So I figured do it up. I worked hard in my life and sacrificed everything to help others. Why not enjoy what is given to you?

As far as FPS increase? Probably not alot. But if you keep thinking about it, you'll kick yourself in the ass later if you dont upgrade. Enjoy YO SHIT!

Rest of specs in sig.

I would have a hard time choosing intel for an entire new rig at this point… just doesn’t seem to be a compelling reason to do so. Even if you call performance a washout, which I think is generally fair…ish, the platform advantages and efficiency advantages are significant enough where I ask myself “why should I build an intel box right now?” And I don’t really have an answer. The option to drop In a zen 5 (or greater) in 3 or 4 years is a nice bonus, and while I am not a huge efficiency zealot (within reason), all else roughly equal, why wouldn’t I want something that sips drastically less power, puts off less heat, and can be cooled easier (and quieter)?

which is why I am still waiting for either a 7950x3d or 7800x3d to restock to finish my build instead of just giving up and buying a 13700 or 13900.

Rest of specs in sig.
Depends on the games you play as others have noted, but 1 generation behind on CPUs is nothing in terms of real world gaming. Its not like GPUs where its the difference between playable and not playable depending on settings. If you notice stuttering or 1% lows that screw with your games, it might help, but I'd be willing to bet you can wait it out with your current CPU until the next revision of CPUs. At 4K, you will be more than fine and would probably not notice anything (unless you play a lot of sim type games). At 2K 240Hz, you might notice higher frames overall, but depending on the averages you get now compared to benchmarks you see, will it matter?

FWIW, as a 4K max settings gamer with a 4090, and noting that I have no issues spending money on PC setups... I plan to stick with my 5950X until the next generation of CPUs is out and go with whatever is best then.

Ok guys. Will wait this one out. Thanks for opinions.

Btw, did anyone face slowdowns in FH5 during desert races? I was playing with all settings max, including DLSS and DLAA but felt game slowing down but fps still showing 160 at 4K in the new map (rally adventure). Very weird behavior. Only started after I was 2 hours into the game. Might be a memory leak or because I had 35 edge windows open.

Ok guys. Will wait this one out. Thanks for opinions.

Btw, did anyone face slowdowns in FH5 during desert races? I was playing with all settings max, including DLSS and DLAA but felt game slowing down but fps still showing 160 at 4K in the new map (rally adventure). Very weird behavior. Only started after I was 2 hours into the game. Might be a memory leak or because I had 35 edge windows open.
Slightly off topic, how do you like the new FH5 Rally expansion? I have not picked it up yet so I do not know outside normal desert races... but outside that, played FH5 Friday and Saturday and it was smooth as butter for me. I play that game maxed at 4K, with DLAA and now I use Frame Generation and it never drips below my refresh rate.

Slightly off topic, how do you like the new FH5 Rally expansion? I have not picked it up yet so I do not know outside normal desert races... but outside that, played FH5 Friday and Saturday and it was smooth as butter for me. I play that game maxed at 4K, with DLAA and now I use Frame Generation and it never drips below my refresh rate.
It’s great if you like arcade rally racing (which I do). However, might be too short. I am already half way through it and it only took about 2 hours for me.

Yes most of the game was smooth. It is only after a while that I noticed slow downs (but can’t explain why) as FPS and CPU utilization doesn’t drop at all. Very weird behavior.

Back