Moving domains from one host to another

nomar

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a gaming community website (www.allaboutnothing.net - AAN). We recently re-did the whole site - forums and site so I set up www.allaboutgaming.net (AAG) and .../forum for that.

Now that we're pretty much ready with the new site, I want AAN to point to AAG. But, they are with different registrars. What I'd really like to do is get rid of AAN on registrar A and move it to registrar B and manage them all together. I assume that is possible right?

Our new host doesn't allow us to change the name of our site. We'd have to get a new hosting package for AAN if we don't want to use AAG. Is there a way around that? IE, can I redirect people from AAN.net to AAG.net but have them still think they are at AAN.net?

Essentially I want AAG.net to go away. Follow? Any thoughts?

nomar said:
Now that we're pretty much ready with the new site, I want AAN to point to AAG. But, they are with different registrars. What I'd really like to do is get rid of AAN on registrar A and move it to registrar B and manage them all together. I assume that is possible right?

You can transfer management of a domain from one registrar to another, yes. Most registrars will have a page or such that allows you to ask them to transfer a domain over from another registrar.

Our new host doesn't allow us to change the name of our site. We'd have to get a new hosting package for AAN if we don't want to use AAG. Is there a way around that? IE, can I redirect people from AAN.net to AAG.net but have them still think they are at AAN.net?

Essentially I want AAG.net to go away. Follow? Any thoughts?

You can do this with a parked domain. So basically, AAG.net is the site with hosting. So now just have your host park the domain with AAG.net, and after DNS servers resolve and such, whenever people type in aan.net, you get aag.net.

BillLeeLee said:
You can do this with a parked domain. So basically, AAG.net is the site with hosting. So now just have your host park the domain with AAG.net, and after DNS servers resolve and such, whenever people type in aan.net, you get aag.net.

Right... but when people look at the URL it will still say AAG.net, not AAN.net, which is what I want. There's no way around that unless I get a real hosting package for AAN.net right?

Oh, I get your drift.

I think this can be accomplished by using the Apache mod_rewrite module, if your site is hosted on Apache.

I'll try to whip up an example for you.

edit: Okay, I'm not overly familiar with mod_rewrite, so not sure if this will work, but in your .htaccess file, try adding these three lines.

Code:
   RewriteEngine on
   RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} aag.net$
   RewriteRule ^(.*)$  http://www.aan.net/$1

Back