Moving away from gaming headphones to Audiophile? Did I say that right?

I'd be interested in trying this. I do want to amp, but would you say it's a waste with a 598?

I thought I had settled, but I'm still just stuck with the idea of getting a more musical headphone that will have moderate to good gaming performance or just rolling with the 598s. Been a hard choice, have been researching every day.

Do you find the 650's to work decent positionally? Does "immersion" feel good?

No idea why the 598's feel like this underwhelming choice to me - especially where I haven't tried them and my only experience are gaming headsets.

Sounds like from what you are saying this would be a good fit with the 600's or the 598's themselves?

I mostly got this because I wanted it to power my speakers too. For headphones only it is probably overkill.

I've never used the HD 600's but the HD 558 and 598 are very similar and are excellent for the money you pay. I still use my HD 555 a lot since the 650's are so hard to drive at 600 ohms.

You will be happy with 598s, they are a great choice for anyone. I prefer them for gaming when compared to my 650's, they are almost the perfect multi use headphone.

If you don't plan on connecting speakers then something like the Fiio E10K would be a great choice for a headphone amp/dac. Great value for the money.

That being said I don't think you'd notice much difference with the 598 on a soundcard you have or the dacs I mentioned.

I'd personally buy the headphones first and see if I'm happy, I think you'll find that you are and get a DAC down the road if you decide you'd like one.

Too add more choices you could always look at the Audioengine D1 or D3 too... worth looking at

If you go to head-fi.org and read people's opinions on HD598 you will find some actually like their sound better than HD600 and HD650. I've never heard any of the HD600 series so can't comment but that is the truth. Go there and read their comments.

The X2's are nice, but try them on first.. they sound good but I still perfer the sound of the Sennheiser HD 5xx series, especially for games.

I found the X2's fit really weird on my head and I couldn't buy them becuase of them. After a few hours of use I was done with them.

I'll also note, in case you don't already know, then you get these types of headphones you'll want to break them in. I usually leave them plugged in and running audio and medium volume for 3-5 days when I first get new headphones.

Yeah the Sennheisers definitely have their fans. I did read about the burn in process for sure, so thanks for mentioning it.

The x2's get some really positive reviews - and I know it's subjective - but it seems to be a better hybrid choice considering I'd like them to have a little more fullness to them I guess. I hear good things about the bass levels for some of the better single player games and that they do well unamped.

I guess I'm just going to have to try them really, wish I had a retailer that sold these things locally.

On that note - I'm noticing that the x2's are sort of hard to find.

I mean in the sense that no major retailer seems to sell them, Amazon has them available but they stopped selling it due to some wide spread QA issue.. glued on pads and stuff like that. So, other than Ebay I can't find them anywhere.

Anyone know any sites they trust that may have these in stock?

Interesting. Less of a QA issue and more of a silent design change, by the look of the big amazon negative review and comments mentioning it. Disappointing that they'd move away from (easily?) replaceable earpads, but perhaps not a deal breaker unless you want to do an ear pad change right away. Just make sure you have a return policy.

Yeah, I actually thought about getting one from the Amazon warehouse they were like 145.

I ended up ordering a 598 from best buy so I can take them for a spin while that gets sorted out. This way I can return them in store - because honestly I'm not even sure what I like considering this is my first pair of headphones beyond gaming sets.

I know for a fact that I'll end up wanting to upgrade them and going with an amp, just don't know what the answer is to that. I suppose it's the 600 or 650 if I find I enjoy the sennheiser sound.

Solid choice. Reviews and forums can only get you so far, but listening to a headphone will tell you everything you need to know pretty quickly.

Will post back and let everyone know how it went when they get here. Looks like Friday even with expedited.

Just wanted to thank everyone again though, I got timely answers and suggestions to all my questions, and you guys had no motivation to do so beyond just trying to help me make a decision.

So greatly appreciated, thanks again to everyone.

Did you get the black or biege HD598? I see now you can get HD598 in same color scheme as HD558 and are designated SE (special edition). The SQ is the same though. Also, have you read this?

http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/

"Though lacking the refinement of the HD600, I still prefer the HD598 for a lot of music, mainly due to its midrange and better soundstage performance."

Last edited:
Thats the first I'm seeing of that article so thank you. It makes me feel better about the purchase, though I am still hoping to try the x2s somehow in the next couple weeks.

They really do benefit from an amp then? I will try grabbing one. I got the beige by the way.

Edit: its funny, too. The comment section there disagrees whole heartedly. I think this is just going to be my entry level and I'm going to work my way up. I could have got the 600s for 250 and I wonder if I will do that after trying the 598s.. Just bounce around until I find something. Im sure I'll like them.

Also, I never thought I'd find something harder to shop for than Displays.

Last edited:
HiFiMAN 400i's were $299 shipped at several stores last week. I would email RazorDog! Audio and ask them if they will give you that price still.... You'll be in for a treat if you get them.

I see you have the HD598 coming. Listen to them and see what you like/dislike about them and go from there.

Yeah, just going to give them a spin and then move from there. I got them at a good price so hopefully I'm into them. Leave room in my budget for a high end chair that doesn't ruin my ass-bone.

Who do I ask about that? Lol.

The 600s are not exactly gaming headphones. They are much more music oriented and to specific music types at that. The 558 or 598 or the X2 will all do well unamped or out of a soundblaster zx or zxr.
You can't really go wrong with that combo. For gaming it just owns. For music, well, that is a bit different.
By the way... HD 595's are in my opinion completely unusable with SoundBlaster Zx without volume pot, even though the line out. HD 598 doesn't appear to be as sensitive for some reasons but you don't really have any volume range to play with since 2% change can be enough to blast your ears.

By the way... HD 595's are in my opinion completely unusable with SoundBlaster Zx without volume pot, even though the line out. HD 598 doesn't appear to be as sensitive for some reasons but you don't really have any volume range to play with since 2% change can be enough to blast your ears.

Odd... I know it isn't the same chipset but I used my 595's on my X-Fi forte for years without issue.

Early impressions and no break in obviously, but theres something really harsh and tinny about them so far. Gaming only as of now.\

EDIT: Pending some form of break in I think I hate them. They have been nearly uncomfortable to listen to at all volumes, there's such a high snap to everything.

Last edited:
Early impressions and no break in obviously, but theres something really harsh and tinny about them so far. Gaming only as of now.\

EDIT: Pending some form of break in I think I hate them. They have been nearly uncomfortable to listen to at all volumes, there's such a high snap to everything.

Have you used open headphones before? I've heard people say similar things with open cans if they have only used closed before.

No. Something is wrong. Please try them with another source.

Could give it a few days to see how your ears adjust to them and try another source, but, with an initial impression that strongly negative, they're probably not the right headphones for you. Plenty of other options out there, though.

I've listened to the HD598's before at Best Buy. They're nothing special in terms of SQ, but they didn't really sound that offensive to me. I'm not sure how yours are coming off as harsh or tinny, as IIRC that was pretty far from their sound signature.

A few steps:
1. Try plugging another pair of earphones into your source (if you've changed it).
2. Try other songs or applications (preferably in flac for the former).
3. Try plugging them into another source (phone or whatever, iirc they don't have terribly high impedance).

Oh and if you have a Best Buy near you, I think they usually have the 598's in stock. I'd invite you to listen to their display model to make sure yours isn't simply defective.

I have e10k and 2 set of headphones. Also had gaming headsets before but now it all comes down to.

Koss Porta Pro as lightweight, fun sounding, comfortable open headphone and brainwavz hm5 for isolated experience so I dont bother my gf. Also, hm5 is very detailed and have less bass than porta pro

Spaceman knows his 'phones. Listen to him.

Oh, for sure.

I listened to them on my phone and they sounded better, I think maybe they are really *different* so I need to get used to them.

I do have a feeling I will end up trying the phillips next, I just have a feeling that they will be more up my alley. Even using my astro a40's I feel like I dig that sound a bit more. They are nice though, and have been gradually warming up to the HD598'S.. I just think I want something better, or better for me.

EDIT: This quality control issue on the phillips over the last month have me worried, too. No stock anywhere for the last 3 weeks and glued and inky pads. Was there a merger or something? Think I asked earlier, but are the x2's just going bye bye?

Last edited:
Oh, for sure.

I listened to them on my phone and they sounded better, I think maybe they are really *different* so I need to get used to them.

I do have a feeling I will end up trying the phillips next, I just have a feeling that they will be more up my alley. Even using my astro a40's I feel like I dig that sound a bit more. They are nice though, and have been gradually warming up to the HD598'S.. I just think I want something better, or better for me.

EDIT: This quality control issue on the phillips over the last month have me worried, too. No stock anywhere for the last 3 weeks and glued and inky pads. Was there a merger or something? Think I asked earlier, but are the x2's just going bye bye?

EDIT 1 MILLION: These fuckers are growing on me. Messed with some settings in my soundcard software, etc. They've been better, will probably amp them with FiiO E17, that seems to be a good pairing?

HD558 and 598 have more pronounced mids than many other headphones so perhaps that is what it is. Don't ever buy beyerdynamics because they have even more top end.

HD558 and 598 have more pronounced mids than many other headphones so perhaps that is what it is. Don't ever buy beyerdynamics because they have even more top end.

They are definitely growing on me, but I still cant help but feel like somethings missing.. it's hard to explain.

I haven't seen many people talk about Ultrasone's .. no good?

Based on what I've read, you can do better than most of Ultrasone's offerings for the money. What's missing with the HD598? A certain sense of fullness to the sound? Bass impact and extension?

Based on what I've read, you can do better than most of Ultrasone's offerings for the money. What's missing with the HD598? A certain sense of fullness to the sound? Bass impact and extension?

Yeah, I think fullness is the best way to describe it. Theres just not a lot of wow factor to them so far. Like positioning is nice, and it's a noticable upgrade but there's this sort of distinct lack of punch. I wonder how much of it is open back.

And honestly having no frame of reference on audiophile headsets this is going to sound strange.. I just feel like I can do better, and that there's probably a pair in its class that could wow me.

There's just snap instead of punch and I think I like punch, but don't want it to be obnoxious. Is this what Is referred to as fun factor? Are they not "fun" to me.

Do you have access to an amp and cd player you can try them on? If they don't impress you after that then they never will.

Buy a Schiit amp like the Magni 2 (or ideally the Magni 2 and Modi 2 DAC, since I -- and many people -- think Creative Labs is a terrible company with similarly terrible products). Fiio is fairly low end stuff.

I don't know if it's an issue amping will fix. That's the first thing I noticed about the HD598's myself when I tried them out at Best Buy. They were simply inoffensive. There wasn't any "wow factor". They just don't really stand out in any way. Meanwhile, the T1's I decided to buy instead have a lot of "wow factors", at the expense of that bumped high end which cause sibilance in bad recordings. The tradeoff is worth it, though I am not sure if the price is, at least for most people.

If you want "wow factor", you'll need to try out various brands and probably spend more money in general. The 598's simply are what they are. They're nothing special. Nothing bad, but nothing special.

You'll also need to invest in some entry level dac/amp combo (or at the very least, get the amp), so you might as well get one now and try it out with your current headphones.

Aside from the Schiit recommendations, I'd suggest either the ODAC+O2 or the O2 alone (most DAC's these days are fine, so either option works):
https://www.jdslabs.com/store/#featured

Here's a DAC/AMP combo that's really portable and easy to work with:
http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Portable-DAC-Headphone-Amp/dp/B00GCDVNHI/ref=cm_rdp_product
I'm using it with a pair of Yuin PK2's on my work laptop (fyi I found the Yuin's to be more impressive than the HD598's...). It has a pretty warm sound signature, but other than that it's pretty solid and has a very low footprint powered my T1's with no issues (not that I use it with my T1's primarily; it was just a test).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's the first thing I noticed about the HD598's myself when I tried them out at Best Buy. They were simply inoffensive. There wasn't any "wow factor".
Beware the flip side here. (This is especially true for those just getting into quality audio, because experience.)

A lot of speakers & headphones have colorations which can generate that initial "Wow!" This is great for selling speakers in a 15-minute demo & less useful for long-term happiness. You might even question the manufacturers' motives...

If a wide variety of songs mostly shows a certain characteristic, it's probably coming from the system, not the recordings. And that's usually a bad thing, even if it impresses you. The Beats bass boost makes an easy example here.

Yes, the "audiophile" sound is usually considered more neutral, which is what the HD598 is.

Yes, the "audiophile" sound is usually considered more neutral, which is what the HD598 is.

Exactly... I love the neutral sound of my sennheisers, I have several different models. I can't understand how people shell out for bass heavy sets like beats and monster.

If I want more bass on my sennheisers, I use my EQ to help them out.

Back