Moving a SIM card from E71x to an iPhone 3G

fattybear

Limp Gawd
I just got an iPhone 3G for free as a hand-me-down and I'm already on an AT&T family plan with a Nokia E71x that has a data plan attached. Will AT&T bust my door down if I move the sim card to the iPhone? It seems to work, it has a 3G signal, just wondering what the consequences are.

(I'm sure this question has been asked but it's hard to search for this specific scenario.)

If you already have the data plan, I don't think it really matters.

Oh nevermind, it says I'm not subscribed to a data service when I actually try to use 3G. Oh well, at least I have an iPod touch now.

Oh nevermind, it says I'm not subscribed to a data service when I actually try to use 3G. Oh well, at least I have an iPod touch now.

the e71x on some carriers (Like Rogers in Canada for example) was eligible for the unlimited on device browsing option, which basically was meant for non smartphones, but gave full functionality, but putting the sim in any other phone would gather a phone call ;)

If you are on a dumb phone data plan, a simple call to change your plan would fix it IF you want data, otherwise, I'd cancel your data and run with it. :)

Huh, I didn't think AT&T would discriminate between a data plan on the iPhone vs. E71x. The one on the E71x is a smartphone unlimited data plan. I guess if I wanted data on this iPhone I'd have to call them and make another contract, but I don't think I want to get locked into a 2 year contract on an older 3G model anyway.

Perhaps I'll duct tape the iPhone to the back of the E71x and have the ultimate device.

Huh, I didn't think AT&T would discriminate between a data plan on the iPhone vs. E71x. The one on the E71x is a smartphone unlimited data plan. I guess if I wanted data on this iPhone I'd have to call them and make another contract, but I don't think I want to get locked into a 2 year contract on an older 3G model anyway.

Perhaps I'll duct tape the iPhone to the back of the E71x and have the ultimate device.
If it's the 30 dollar unlimited plan, just ask them to change it to iPhone data. The 250mb plan is more than enough for most people unless you want to do epic youtubing. and it'll save you 15 bucks a month.

They won't make you resign because you already have a data plan, renegotiation is easy :) (Atleast, that's assuming the US cell carriers are at the very least equal to Canadian ones.)

Back