Movies on laptop?

zachary80

2[H]4U
Would it be better for battery life to have movies on the hard-drive or on DVD?

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8000

Thanks

Definitely hard drive. The dvd drive takes more battery power to run than just the hard drive.

Yeah, the DVD drive will take up more battery power because you also have to spin the dvd.

To further the discussion on his original question, would the battery life being saved here warrant the extra hassle of having to rip the DVD to your HD?

do you just highlight the folders and choose copy? also how much battery is saved? I'm getting a dell 8600 which has a dvd drive in it. so it will be my first laptop that can do that should be cool :)

cant u use like cd/dvd emulation program like virtual drive to store the whole dvd to your hard drive as well?

Originally posted by Bunk454
To further the discussion on his original question, would the battery life being saved here warrant the extra hassle of having to rip the DVD to your HD?

If possible, it would be best to rip the dvd onto your hard drive prior to using the battery. So if you are somewhere where there is a AC jack available, just use your power adapter and copy the movie onto your hard drive. Therefore, you won't have to waste any battery power ripping the cd to hard drive or running the dvd directly from cd drive.

Originally posted by viper11885
If possible, it would be best to rip the dvd onto your hard drive prior to using the battery. So if you are somewhere where there is a AC jack available, just use your power adapter and copy the movie onto your hard drive. Therefore, you won't have to waste any battery power ripping the cd to hard drive or running the dvd directly from cd drive.

I believe he meant just time in general, assuming it was run on AC.

I've got the Inspiron 8200. It ALMOST finished a 102 min DVD with one 65 Whr battery. It stopped like less than ten minutes before the credits. Not sure if the bettery is just wearing out or not.

set the hard drive to spin down after 10 minutes on battery and play it from the DVD drive.

I use DvdDecrypter , takes about 20 min on my 2.6hgz @ ~5x.. then Power DVD can open the "Dvd on hard disk" and your rockin... pretty easy! 200 gig externals rule

Originally posted by mamiyarz67
I use DvdDecrypter , takes about 20 min on my 2.6hgz @ ~5x.. then Power DVD can open the "Dvd on hard disk" and your rockin... pretty easy! 200 gig externals rule
w00t!
Totaly agree, check sig:cool:

dvd decrypter is great if you want the whole 8 gig movie on your hard drive.

Unfortunately, I don't have that size on my laptop so I pair dvd decrypter with auto gordian knot. It works great to slim down the dvd to about 2 gigs or so. It's nice to be able to throw on 5 or six movies for a trip without having to lug around the actual dvd's.

Back