Movies based on games are in for a rough couple of years.

NeoNemesis

2[H]4U
It looks like Uwe Boll has been given the rights to direct a number of movies based on videogames in the near future. If his 'masterpiece' house of the dead is any indication of his directing talent then I might as well stay at home and NOT forever ruin the memories of some of my favorite games.

Games Boll will ruin unless he is stopped:
Alone in the Dark
FarCry
Bloodrayne
Hunter: The Reckoning (sounds like it could be a game and it will probably suck)

Personally I would rather see that these movies not be made then have them directed by Uwe Boll.

FarCry is being made into a movie? Damn, I won't go and see it. I probably won't see any of them, not just because of the director but because of the fact that all movies made from games tend to be crap. Its better to forget those movies ever existed and go back and play it on your machine...

I just can't see FarCry as a movie. I'm sure it would be some stupid horror/action movie that bareley resembles the game.

Now Diablo...that could be a cool movie made from a game. Warcraft would also be interesting.

Yeah I think FarCry has The Rock as the main character.

The story of the game is actually pretty cool, but im afraid the implementation of the movie will just be awful..

Metal Gear Solid will also be made into a game. I know there is a producer and a director who are teaming up to come to America (from Japan) and one of the films hey want to make is a MGS film.

Gah! Really I just wish someone would make a movie and STICK 100% to the game story line, and if there isnt much for talking talk to the creators have them help on writing the script, and if its 2d then have them help on bringing it to life on the screen, again but in 3d.

Movies I'd like to see if they stuck to the story line:
Duke Nukem 1-3 (I think it would rock to see Kurt Russell as Duke since he can be funny, and serious at the same times, and just seems great as the smart ass kick some ass hero)

Starcraft (stick to the story line or it shall suck worse then a jet turbine on a 747)

and there are many more, I think most directors dont allow the creators much say in the movies, if they are allowed they need to be allowed to say " No damn it it was like this!" and they rework the whole thing to fit their wants.

NeoNemesis said:
Hunter: The Reckoning (sounds like it could be a game and it will probably suck)

This is a game, both Roleplaying (from White Wolf) and video for the xBox

Problem is that Hollywood never sees them as real money makers so they don't allocate a lot of resources to them. Hence you get C rate actors, B rate directors, and D rate story. Lots and lots of ripoffs.

havnt seen it , but recently read a review on House of the Dead ...

...pretty bad ...real bad as a matter of fact. ...but hey , you never know, maybe his clunker movies are all a thing of the past and everything hence forth will be of Oscar nominee quality ... oh , I dont know ...it could happen :rolleyes:

S1nF1xx said:
I just can't see FarCry as a movie. I'm sure it would be some stupid horror/action movie that bareley resembles the game.

Now Diablo...that could be a cool movie made from a game. Warcraft would also be interesting.

lol. of course any game that BLIZZARD makes, the movie HAS to be good regardless of the director. great logic there!

csims said:
AitD: Has been done for a while and will be out Jan. 28th.
http://www.alone-in-the-dark.com/

Is it just me or does 'Alone in the Dark" have the single worst preview since...well, since Uwe's "House of the Dead"? The FX looked quite awful from the preview. It's got a decent cast, but it just looked bad.

Then again, maybe I'm just biased against Boll after "House of the Dead." After seeing the pitiful trailer and reading awful review after awful review I lost what little interest I had upon hearing that it was being made.

I think we should make it a rule of ethics to not say anything sucks unless you've actually seen it. I mean, that's at least two people who've said something sucked because they heard other people say it sucked. It reminds me of headphone forums, where people discuss the comparative sounds of different headphones, when most of the time they haven't even heard the headphones they're talking about.

finalgt said:
I think we should make it a rule of ethics to not say anything sucks unless you've actually seen it. I mean, that's at least two people who've said something sucked because they heard other people say it sucked. It reminds me of headphone forums, where people discuss the comparative sounds of different headphones, when most of the time they haven't even heard the headphones they're talking about.

You may be right. I never just trust the word of a single critic, but when they all say the same thing (and when the trailer just looks blatantly awful) then I tend to think they might be right. Check out the listing for "House of the Dead" on Rotten Tomatoes

Here are some quotes from the reviews they link to:

"Unpretentiously dumb."
-- Liam Lacey, GLOBE AND MAIL

"A film that’s so bad, so grievously awful in so many ways, that you’re convinced that it was meant to be a comedy."
-- David Grove, FILM THREAT

"To properly convey the jaw-dropping shoddiness of this videogame-based 'horror' 'movie,' one must approach what scientists call Absolute Stupid."
-- Scott Brown, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

"Aside from being poorly acted, laughably written, and completely absent in actual scares, House of the Dead suffers from an unbearable lack of logic."
-- David Cornelius, HOLLYWOOD BITCHSLAP

EDIT: To be fair, here's the quote from one of the two (out of 46) "fresh" reviews (meaning good).
"There's scarcely a whiff of originality in the zombie horror picture House of the Dead, but Uwe Boll has directed it with enough energy and style that it adds up to passably mindless if grisly fun."
-- Kevin Thomas, LOS ANGELES TIMES

I want to see a fully animated movie from Blizzard.
They always have great animation for games and great stories. It would be cool to see a full on movie

You should, seeing that far cry is a rip off of Island of Dr. Moroue (sp) which is a rip off of some other movie/story.

S1nF1xx said:

lol.. They'd probably alter the story so much that it isn't really based off the game anymore!

(Doom not on mars and no demons?)

Farcry, they'll get rid of all the mutants and then it'll be the standard "Rescue girl from terrorists" >.>

I just saw RE: Apocalypse on dvd the other day and I got to say that I was alittle dissappointed by the fact that they didnt fully follow the story line :(

And as for not seeing a movie and saying its bad...who in their right mind after seeing the house of the dead movie trailers would even consider it as being semi worth either a) paying a $10 ticket for (not including the gas your going to have to waste to see the horrendous movie) or b) bother with trying to sneak in?

I mean common there are just some movies that are so blatently show off the fact that they are going to suck :p

finalgt said:

I haven't seen any reviews or trailers of the movies in question, but from experience and the fact that Hollywood doesn't take games seriously means that they will be bad. The directors own vision (and lack of original storylines) always seems to turn a good game into a crap movie.
Maybe they will be great, I dunno. I'll tell you when (if) is see them. :)

Whatsisname said:
You should, seeing that far cry is a rip off of Island of Dr. Moroue (sp) which is a rip off of some other movie/story.
Nope, Island of Dr. Moreau is an H.G. Wells story and is the source.

Personally I see it staring Rob Snider and Martin Lawrence being a direct to video release.

I am already seeing Alone in The Dark movie posters. Christian Slater, oh how far he has sunk since Heathers. Stop drinking and smacking your bitch! :(

Video games into movies by definition is case of diminishing returns.

how bout need for speed underground starring Brian Austin Green and Jim Carey. brutality at it's finest.

I spent almost 3 years as a manager and projectionist at a movie theater. I developed the rare gift to determine everything I need to know about a movie from the trailer. The trailers I've seen from some of these flicks being talked about here are horrendous.

My favorite rule: If you can't tell what the general plot is from the trailer, it's because they don't want you to know how bad it is.

Hhmm. Couldn't disagree with you more (on the trailer point not that this moves are going to suck balls). In fact many bad movies have very long trailers that not only give you an idea of the plot but essentially show you the whole damn film. A good recently example was that horrible holiday crap film called "The Kranks" Honestly, did anyone need to see that turkey after watching the mini-movie trailer?

Trailers that give away too much or are the product of a marketing department that lacked an inventive angle for their campaign. A good trailer should peak you interest but tell you as little about the film as possible. Best trailer every was the 1979 "Alien" which consisted of nothing more than a black screen and egg slow opening with post modern orchestral music.

On the other hand, when Hollywood produces unwatchable tripe like "National Treasures" a longer preview to prove just how utterly bad the film is thus saving you from ever even thinking about spending money on renting the DVD is a nice savings. :D

But here is the problem with video games to movies. It's an ipecac loop. Generally the best source material for stories come from books and are sometimes made into films. Most video games a derivative of movies. Hence converting a game into a movie is like trying to make a fine meal out of a bums vomit. It's been recycled one too many times to be of use.

S1nF1xx said:

I WISH that Blizzard would a a full length CGI movie. Final Fantasy was good, but some of the story lines already created for the Blizzard universes are great and would translate well to the big screen. And we know that Blizzard does some of the best (THE best??) CGI in the industry

Probably costs too much though..

Cheers.

Luthorcrow said:
Hhmm. Couldn't disagree with you more (on the trailer point not that this moves are going to suck balls). In fact many bad movies have very long trailers that not only give you an idea of the plot but essentially show you the whole damn film. A good recently example was that horrible holiday crap film called "The Kranks" Honestly, did anyone need to see that turkey after watching the mini-movie trailer?

Trailers that give away too much or are the product of a marketing department that lacked an inventive angle for their campaign. A good trailer should peak you interest but tell you as little about the film as possible. Best trailer every was the 1979 "Alien" which consisted of nothing more than a black screen and egg slow opening with post modern orchestral music.

On the other hand, when Hollywood produces unwatchable tripe like "National Treasures" a longer preview to prove just how utterly bad the film is thus saving you from ever even thinking about spending money on renting the DVD is a nice savings. :D

I almost want to agree with you here, but I just can't. The problem is that nowadays all movies, regardless of their quality, have trailers that give away everything. It's just the way trailers are done today. As each successive trailer tries to one up the previous trailer they feel they have to include a little bit more. Eventually they're just giving away every interesting bit of the film (or at the very least all of the most interesting bits).

I will agree that it is rare and yes most trailers suck but there are some good ones. Another good example, the trailer for "Delicatessen" starts off with the sounds of bed springs and pans up to an old lady beating a carpet and the camera slowly climbs the apartment building with various tenants making everyday noises that builds up like love making noises until the trailer is over. It was funny but you would never have guessed it was for a film about a cannibal deli. A recent example, the prerelase trailer for the "Incredibles" shows a comical scene with the father struggling to put on his super hero costume before coming down to dinner. The scene was not even in the movie.

How about a HL movie. I volunteer to play Gordon Freeman. I already have all of the lines memorized. ;)

Luthorcrow said:
I will agree that it is rare and yes most trailers suck but there are some good ones. Another good example, the trailer for "Delicatessen" starts off with the sounds of bed springs and pans up to an old lady beating a carpet and the camera slowly climbs the apartment building with various tenants making everyday noises that builds up like love making noises until the trailer is over. It was funny but you would never have guessed it was for a film about a cannibal deli. A recent example, the prerelase trailer for the "Incredibles" shows a comical scene with the father struggling to put on his super hero costume before coming down to dinner. The scene was not even in the movie.

I 've never heard of "Delicatessen," so I can't comment on it. For "The Incredibles," however, I can. The trailer that shows Mr. Incredible struggling with his belt was just an early teaser. It's true that it wasn't even in the final movie, and that's one of the things I love about Pixar. Pretty much all of their stuff is top notch and they'll go that extra mile to create a scene for the teaser that's not even in the final movie.

Later, however, there was a full "Incredibles" trailer that, thankfully, didn't give away too much. It doesn't happen with all movies, but more often than not your big releases have huge trailers that give everything away. This goes double for big releases that are summer "event" movies.

Ok, I think we agree on that point but just because it is common does not mean they are not lousy trailers. Most trailers for big films are generally bad. Spiderman 2 was a perfect example. I remember purposely ignore those trailers due to extreme amount of unnecessary story and footage used.

There is one recent trailer that was very good despite being a mini movie, Episode III. Why was it good? Because if the editor can make a trailer that makes me want to see that film even knowing how utterly bad the first two were, that is act of pure magic. ;)

I want to play as Master Chief in the Halo movie! Seriously, who would make a good Master Chief? I like the Idea of Kurt Russle playing Duke Nukem, I could hear him as he hands a Stripper a 1$ bill, "Shake it baby!" Even tho his voice isn't even close to the one used in the game.

I really hope they make a movie out of "Battle For Middle Earth". It's got a good story. I'm sure it could come out good if made well enough. :)

oops, forgot to add the smiley earlier

Hard to tell if that was sarcasm or not.. I seriously hope so. If not, wtfbbq. Where have you been?

Luthorcrow said:
Ok, I think we agree on that point but just because it is common does not mean they are not lousy trailers. Most trailers for big films are generally bad. Spiderman 2 was a perfect example. I remember purposely ignore those trailers due to extreme amount of unnecessary story and footage used.

There is one recent trailer that was very good despite being a mini movie, Episode III. Why was it good? Because if the editor can make a trailer that makes me want to see that film even knowing how utterly bad the first two were, that is act of pure magic. ;)

LMFAO

this is soooo true :)

Back