Moviegoing Is Expected to Hit a 22-Year Low

Locally they're renovating all the major theaters with powered reclining "leather" seats, Dolby Atmos, full liquor license with table service. It's still just as expensive but at least it's more entertaining to go and hang out.

However due to that cost I'll only go for movies I really want to see in theater, otherwise I'll just wait.

We see our movies at Flix Brewhouse and you can order food and beer from your seat or go to the bar. Their brew is always changing and good beer as well! Definitely a better experience.

I have made it to the theater maybe 5 times in 3 years. I hear about something I actually want to see, then it comes out and I avoid the opening monster crowds and poof I forget about it until its on blu-ray/itunes in a couple months and go “oh-yeaI did want to see that” thenI buy it and watch at home in quiet luxury. I then keep reading about directors crying about how the theater is the only way to see a movie and they will never die. I laugh and laugh as I buy lots of movies yet rarely step into a theater.

Actually true story. The over-the-top SJW agenda is the exact reason I won't go see the new Star Wars.
Oh noes, not the SJW agenda! Those bastards!

On topic, I go to the theater quite a bit, but also have a nice 5.1 setup. I occasionally have issues with people with phones on or what have you, but usually it's not an issue. I never buy concessions, just use their water fountains and eat before you go. You can usually sneak snacks in as well if you really must eat something while watching. You'll save a lot.

I did not read the entire thread,...a bit short on time today, but I thought I would rattle the cage a bit. If someone already has, then good on you.

Most millennials seem very content to watch anything and everything on their phones/tablets. I think they are not impressed with the idea of being locked in a room full of strangers to watch a big screen. There is no incentive for them to do so.

Just a thought, or the start of a snowball.

Things are changing, yes. The media driving it though? I don't think you understand what's actually happening.

That's the joke...

Push != drive. The latter suggests sole or prime mover. Good subtle straw man though.

Regardless, yes the media does strongly influence mindsets. You're blind, naive, or both if you think otherwise.

Progressives ruin everything they touch. When progressives run the movie studio's and try to use movies to promote their SJW agenda why should anyone be surprised that 50% of the population doesn't want anything to do with their crap? I went to see the last Star War's movie this past holiday; regrettably I may never go see another...

FFS is there any topic on this site that doesn't get twisted into an excuse for a political rant? :banghead:

Ya know, I go to movies for entertainment and maybe that is blaise today, but I could care less about the actor/actress. I just want characters to fill the role of being entertaining.

I like Disney movies. Some are great, others are not. Like any studio. I think Moana was one of the best techincal efforts I have ever seen, and was damn enjoyable. I have enjoyed all the real-life remakes of the animated features, so far. And, I have enjoyed the Star Wars films, so far.

Now, I think Last Jedi was edited badly, but not bad enough to completely wreck it.

If I find myself ever watching a movie and then relating it to politics, then I will stop going to the movies as that is not entertaining to me. Real life is where shit happens. Movies are not real life.

Last edited:
The problems is they focused on what makes money, not actually good cinematography. Just look at the fucking emoji movie, what an insult to the public!

My heart doesn't bleed for these twats.

Ok... Name a strong, positive Male role model from the recent Star Wars movie.

Color me ignorant. What does that have to do with a movie? I mean, if that was a character written into the movie, then I would expect that is what would be there. Or is there some predisposition or expectation which I have completely missed? Why does there have to be a "strong, positive male role model"? Do you require every movie to have that?

Really scratching my head about this one.

Similar to malls and mom and pop stores - anyone remember gateway stores - things brick and mortar , have the internet attached to them today. If something can be ordered online, stores will take a hit. What to do with the empty buildings?

SJW junk aside, the newest Star Wars movie had issues with the writing, mostly... Good writing can make anything work.

Ok... Name a strong, positive Male role model from the recent Star Wars movie.
Who’s the SJW now? Upset that there isn’t equality in the sexes in TLJ ?

Have you actually watched the original Star Wars movies? Who stands up to Vader at the beginning of the movie? Who kills Jabba? Who commands the rebel fleet to defeat the galactic empire? You call TLJ SJW rubbish when Princess Leia is the ultimate strong female character.

All this anti-SJW nonsense is asinine and it rears its ugly head with Star Trek Discovery as well. We see all these people hating on STD because “it’s leftist SJW crap”. Are these people even familiar with Trek or Roddenberry?

The familiar political spectrum straight line illustration is outdated. It should look more like a circle with centrist on top, liberal on left, conservative on right and “SJW’s” and “Anti-SJW’s” on the bottom because in reality the are cut from the same cloth and both have extremist political views.

Last edited:
Who’s the SJW now? Upset that there isn’t equality in the sexes in TLJ ?

Have you actually watched the original Star Wars movies? Who stands up to Vader at the beginning of the movie? Who kills Jabba? Who commands the rebel fleet to defeat the galactic empire? You call TLJ SJW rubbish when Princess Leia is the ultimate strong female character.
Peddling SWJ BS which implies that women are superior to men who suffer from toxic masculinity is a major reason why people stop supporting movies. Fewer and fewer people are choosing to expose themselves to neo-fascist propaganda films.

Color me ignorant. What does that have to do with a movie? I mean, if that was a character written into the movie, then I would expect that is what would be there. Or is there some predisposition or expectation which I have completely missed? Why does there have to be a "strong, positive male role model"? Do you require every movie to have that?

Really scratching my head about this one.
The original Star Wars movies had positive male AND female role models. It was the power of light and goodness that overcame darkness and evil. Now that has all changed. Yodi burns the sacred texts of the Jedi and Luke has come to believe that the "hubis" of the Jedi gave rise to all that has gone wrong in the Galaxy. Men are impulsive and need to be controlled by women. Feminists rule...

A paradigm shift is occurring. The power of progressives has peaked and is now waning into eventual obscurity. Movies are a business and it's customers are leaving. The NFL is a business and it's customers are leaving. People are turning their backs on anything progressive. Adapt or perish.

Peddling SWJ BS which implies that women are superior to men who suffer from toxic masculinity is a major reason why people stop supporting movies. Fewer and fewer people are choosing to expose themselves to neo-fascist propaganda films.

The original Star Wars movies had positive male AND female role models. It was the power of light and goodness that overcame darkness and evil. Now that has all changed. Yodi burns the sacred texts of the Jedi and Luke has come to believe that the "hubis" of the Jedi gave rise to all that has gone wrong in the Galaxy. Men are impulsive and need to be controlled by women. Feminists rule...

A paradigm shift is occurring. The power of progressives has peaked and is now waning into eventual obscurity. Movies are a business and it's customers are leaving. The NFL is a business and it's customers are leaving. People are turning their backs on anything progressive. Adapt or perish.

People stopped supporting movies? TLJ did 1 billion at the box office not bad for “SJW BS”

Yoda didn’t burn the texts ... Rey took them, you see them on the falcon later.

And sooooo? Okay, I'll try playing your game.

Luke is an old man. When you get older, the tendency is to get more cynical, especially if things in your life did not go well for you. His character is a pretty damn accurate version of what it should be. Optimistic, blue-sky, never-say-die thinking is for the young.

Sorry, I cannot play the political game with you. The movie was entertaining. If you were not entertained, then so be it, but to apply some political nonsense to it, is just that, as far as I am concerned. It is just like those who argue about the accuracy of the physics modeling in the movie. Kind of silly and superfluous as none of it is real anyway.

As far as your assessment of why people are not going to movies, well,...all I can say is I feel sorry for people who simply cannot watch a movie for what it is. A step outside of reality for a brief moment. An escape. If all you can see is that political crap, then I cannot see you enjoying much of anything. Maybe Nascar.

Not sure why everyone is bitching about Star Wars. Aren't there other threads for that?

I think that if cinema wants to stay relevant, it needs to shift to a more premium focus. I have a decent 5.1 (soon to be Atmos) setup and LG OLED TV at home. I can sit on a comfy couch and not wear pants and have a better quality picture at home. The theater needs to best that to get my money. I've got a Classic Cinemas about 5 minutes from my house. It's convenient, and cheap ($5-$7 a ticket, concessions are reasonable and refillable), but everything else about it sucks. The seats are old and uncomfortable. I'm 6'1, 200lbs and can only sit on an aisle or else i've got nowhere to put my legs. It ruins the experience of going to the movie, and their viewership suffers for it. What's the point of having 200 uncomfortable seats when they are lucky to get 20 people showing up for a movie? Only for very popular opening weekends have I seen a theater fill up beyond 50%. They are the only theater in my area that did not sell out for TLJ on opening weekend. By contrast, there is a Regal about a half hour away with recliner seating. The tickets are nearly twice as expensive, as are the concessions. Despite the additional drive time and cost, I will almost always go here. It has big comfy seats as well as better A/V equipment. It's a premium experience that competes with my setup at home. When I go here, the theaters are almost always full, or very near it. I think this is the sort of quality that all movie theaters should be striving for. It's kinda like going to a nice restaurant vs going to McDonalds. The former is a nice, appreciable alternative to cooking a meal at home. It's worth spending the extra money even though you could make that food yourself if you wanted. The later is something that works in a pinch, but you wouldn't want it over a home cooked meal if you can avoid it.

And because Disney is make these now, I'll not be going to the theaters any more. I almost fell asleep at TLJ.
How could that be possible? It outdoes several Star Wars properties. It has the best or at least cleanest special effects, it outdoes the Cringe of the Thanksgiving Special, outdoes the bad writing of Episodes I & II (combined), outdoes the kiddy product placement of the Ewoks of Episode VI, and outdoes the in your face political messaging of Episode VII.

How can you fall asleep watching a train wreck?

He must have gone to a theater which used an AM radio for the audio. That is all I can come up with. I mean,..the audio alone would prevent anyone from falling asleep.

Must be some real dead heads about. I mean, if you did not giggle, at least, when Luke reached up and dusted off his shoulder after the barrage, then something is wrong with you.

Frozen to death by the air-con
Deafened by stupidly loud audio
Inconsiderate fuckers' chitchat
Poor seat positions
Can't pause the film of course
Only played at the designated time
You have to travel to the theater
Pay a fortune for food and drink, some scum theaters don't even pop their popcorn fresh!

This business really shouldn't be existing anymore.

Similar to malls and mom and pop stores - anyone remember gateway stores - things brick and mortar , have the internet attached to them today. If something can be ordered online, stores will take a hit. What to do with the empty buildings?

At the same time, what do you really want? Just to exist in your workplace/Home with no interaction with other people? Seems like we are rapidly hitting a point that majority of people want to live in their "safe space" without interacting with people socially.

I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of people, but I also just don't want to be stuck in my house interacting with just my wife/pets and the random USPS/UPS guy making deliveries from online purchases.

Seems like we are just getting more and more disconnected from one another.

I love going to the movies, even with the price increase I still go, but I wish they didn't have to raise the price. Just because its seat reserve, IMAX screen and or 3D movie, doesn't mean the price should increased? The idea is to attract more people coming in. About shitty movies, I think that some movies are a bit rush and sometimes, its okay to delay production to make it a good movie, I blame the studios for this, but ive seen many good movies over the years like all the marvel series, star wars, DC movies, etc.. its not really that bad, I enjoy it a lot. I also like owning the disc and streaming is also a must for me.

If you experience cramped seats and noisy people, maybe your not living in the right city or your just too cheap that you attend crappy old theatres: we have luxury theatres in my city and its fantastic (big screen, recliner seats, ATMOS surround sound), plus its quiet and people respect each other when the movie starts. I rarely see people using their phones while watching the movie! its respecting.

Last edited:
While I understand that their distribution process has been in existence for 100 years, it's time to take the reins on that dinosaur and steer it into the new world.

All of our local theatres have switched to recliners. Many of them serve food and drinks. Some of it is damn good and not that much higher than a quality restaurant. We are happy to go to those theatres. Christmas day we saw the Star Wars movie. I had Chipotle Enchiladas, the Wife had Korean Tacos. She had some wine, I had a beer or three.

Hmmm,...maybe the movie was not as good as I thought it was. :)

One thing I noticed about these theatres is the lack of children. It may be too much for a family to handle. Never had anyone else bother me. Then again, a few beers might take that edge right off.

At the same time, what do you really want? Just to exist in your workplace/Home with no interaction with other people? Seems like we are rapidly hitting a point that majority of people want to live in their "safe space" without interacting with people socially.

I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of people, but I also just don't want to be stuck in my house interacting with just my wife/pets and the random USPS/UPS guy making deliveries from online purchases.

Seems like we are just getting more and more disconnected from one another.

Yes. Social interaction is a necessity. The funny thing is, is that social interaction is as large today as it gets as long as we equate social media as 'interaction'. Are we moving to a socialization through 'facetime'? Would cut down on pregnancies :) Seriously though, I can also work the 'huge fan of people line', but I also understand the value of person to person interaction. Aura and energy is a real thing and you cant always tell where someone is comin from through a small screen and lil speaker. I just see that people seem to prefer text over voice, getting likes over bad breath. Just what it is today. Although more disconnected from one another, I bet that along with the distance that more folks will start to see the value in closer interaction. Kinda like how folks are looking more to larger screens - desktops- than the screen in their pocket. Well, some numbers seem so.

I dont think that the population will suffer, we are just looking at one variable. Football games, Baseball games, hocky, soccer, the upcoming Olympics, concerts...the others still have sell out crowds. Its just that folks there are holding up their smartdevices to show the world where they are to the folks at home. What do you think?

Frozen to death by the air-con
Deafened by stupidly loud audio
Inconsiderate fuckers' chitchat
Poor seat positions
Can't pause the film of course
Only played at the designated time
You have to travel to the theater
Pay a fortune for food and drink, some scum theaters don't even pop their popcorn fresh!

This business really shouldn't be existing anymore.

...you must really dislike your local theater enough to want to rid the world of 'ALL" movie theaters. Try to ease down, without the theatres, dvd's and blurays would be severely limited. Netflix is now a player in the movie creation game but just like cable, they need Hollywood to supply them with the billion dollar hits to get folks to subscribe. Watch what happens when all of 2017 billion dollar/hundreds of million dollar movies hit the home view market. For a week or so, they will be the #1 movie seen and streamed. Hollywood is still the movie machine. <some> Theaters have a viewing experience that you need to be a millionaire to recreate. Price of admission is just what that is.

Nope, that one was pretty bad. Good effects but terrible story and wonky characters.

Yeah, it was fun to watch while drunk, but I have no desire to watch it again.

And I can at least say I'll watch it again with the originals.

Shitty movies and busy lives have really cut-down on my movie spending. We used to go to the movies as a group frequently, but there are so many other things for us to do now. The fact that the only good movies are coming out of Disney is also killing my desire to hit the multiplex (along with having a giant TV).

In my area Tuesdays you get into the Cinemark movies for $5 each all day. Happens to be my day off so if i see a few movies i'm into, i go. The cinema is good quality, but $8 for a Nachos lunchable? Pfft, I just have my lady bring a big purse and we stick some food from the mall in there. Philly cheesesteak with fries is same price as that microwaved junk they try to rip us off with.

...you must really dislike your local theater enough to want to rid the world of 'ALL" movie theaters. Try to ease down, without the theatres, dvd's and blurays would be severely limited. Netflix is now a player in the movie creation game but just like cable, they need Hollywood to supply them with the billion dollar hits to get folks to subscribe. Watch what happens when all of 2017 billion dollar/hundreds of million dollar movies hit the home view market. For a week or so, they will be the #1 movie seen and streamed. Hollywood is still the movie machine. <some> Theaters have a viewing experience that you need to be a millionaire to recreate. Price of admission is just what that is.
It's Hollywood who is killing the theaters.
Because they are greedy bastards, they charge a LOT to let theaters show their movies. To remain competitive the theaters can't jack up the price too much so they skim on other things. They find the cheapest crap possible and sell those as food with ridiculous margin. They use cheap labour, cheap equipment and squeeze as many people they can in a theater. All these make the experience bad, less people fall for it so they have to skim even more.
There are nicer theaters but you must have noticed the mainstreams are generally bad.

In my area Tuesdays you get into the Cinemark movies for $5 each all day. Happens to be my day off so if i see a few movies i'm into, i go. The cinema is good quality, but $8 for a Nachos lunchable? Pfft, I just have my lady bring a big purse and we stick some food from the mall in there. Philly cheesesteak with fries is same price as that microwaved junk they try to rip us off with.

......Just an idea from somebodyelse, have her wear a DDD bra and stuff the cups with snacks. May look funny when you ask for the ketchup, but I doubt folks would say anything :)

Back