Movie Studio Takes Unprecedented Action To Stop Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess this is one way to stop your movie from being pirated. Next up....unplug the internet. :D

A film studio is taking extreme steps to try and stop its latest movie from being pirated online. Reliance Entertainment has obtained a court order which restrains thousands of ISPs and websites from making available their film Bodyguard, a move which the company believes will reduce piracy by 60%. A similar but less broad effort last month is reported to have cut file-sharing by 40%.

Despite the collateral damage, according to Reliance Entertainment Vice-President Music and Anti-Piracy, Sanjay Tandon, the aggressive action was worth it since the movie broke several box-office records.

LOL...yeah, "worth it" to the fucking studio maybe, not to the thousands of people who were cut off of various websites because of this draconian bullshit. I'd never support such a company again if they pulled something like that.

arnt all baliywood movies rip off of american movies anyway?

Although the mass bombard of take down requests seem to work, I'm not sure it's sustainable as eventually piracy will find workarounds to bypass or lessen blocks like this.

Interesting bit at the very end of the article that may end up having more of a lasting impact:
Aside from their aggressive and proactive online enforcement strategy, Reliance Entertainment is also taking another step to reduce piracy by addressing the issue of availability. In mid-September, just 6 weeks after Bodyguard premieres in 2,500 theaters, Reliance will release the official Bodyguard DVD.

arnt all baliywood movies rip off of american movies anyway?

I was thinking the same thing...

Also, how do they KNOW it reduced piracy by 40%? Where do they get the numbers? Shut one down, two more open up.

This just in: 40% reduction in piracy numbers also strangely correlates with 40% drop in average views of this film. It is now being tossed out as a theory that maybe this movie just sucks complete donkey balls and people do not want to see it. This is certainly a very technical study process that we will have to keep an eye on through studying for generations. Back to you in the news room Tom.

Sustained action like this will never work. They would have to create court systems for the court system. Imagine if every movie made in "Bollywood" went through court proceedings to get this done everytime. Dont they produce like 1000+ movies a year there? I can see the justice system getting tired of this real quick. Not to mention the added workload on the ISP's to process such requests. On top of that there are no reports of people saying the movie was hard to get. Not that I wanted to see it, but found the links to the files without issue including the sites the report suggested were informed. Nonsense.

What makes the most sense is that Reliance created a plan, followed through with the plan, and in order to make it sound useful, fabricated ludicrous success numbers like 40 and 60% to justify their efforts. What crap...

From what number are they talking to reduce by 60%?

The 1-5% that download it via public means, or the other 90 odd percent that get it via private and "deep web" means? :D

We just reduced a flys dick by a flys dick! Woo! totally worth pissing off people and wasting THEIR time not OURS.

Actually a lot of us were pirating during the reel to reel days then cassette. Just not as prolific. I lost my guilt when the RIAA/MPAA changed the copyright act in 1978. The RIAA/MPAA forced me into a life of piracy of some sort: I guess you could say I was grandfathered into a life of piracy and debauchery of some sort. D

I have a great idea for them that will reduce piracy by 100%
don't release the movie
I'm sure it's shit anyway

Actually a lot of us were pirating during the reel to reel days then cassette. Just not as prolific. I lost my guilt when the RIAA/MPAA changed the copyright act in 1978. The RIAA/MPAA forced me into a life of piracy of some sort: I guess you could say I was grandfathered into a life of piracy and debauchery of some sort. D

I blame the RIAA/MPAA.

Used to have a Netflix account,
But then they started having delays in shipping DVD's due to limiting supply of new releases.
Then they made me wait an additional 30 days before they would rent me a newly released movie.
Finally, they raised the price by 60%, unless I limited my self to only DVDs or Streaming.

So now I have the choice: Watch less movies, Redbox, Pirating, or all the above.

this movie itself is an antipiracy tactic.

judging by the cover, most likely no one wants to download this shit.

Bad movies are a good anti piracy measure. I see a lot of movies doing this. :p

More power too them, looked like a terrible film anyhow. Just gives me the extra incentive to not bother watching it. Anytime a studio starts really pushing to sue piracy out of existence (A laughable notion), it basically tells me to just avoid that particular movie.

I don't pirate movies but I will never watch things like this or Hurt Locker as a result of how I see them treating people.

Back