movie library launcher what is needed?

alphaqforever247

[H]ard|Gawd
I have seen some htpc with a movie library launcher like it shows cover art and a small description of the movie. I want to do this what are the requirements to be able to do this?

I've been using Media Browser for quite a while and love it. It's so easy it's pretty much what got my wife liking the idea of ripping our movie collection to HDDs. As for requirements, it just runs within Windows Media Center. It's also free, so you can't really go wrong.

You can also run a MyMovies database, which is what I have going at my place. Pulls front/back cover, all the imdb info on the movie and puts it into a database. Launch Windows Media Center, and it plugs itself in under the movies tab. You can do an awful lot with it like selecting a movie, going to cast, reading an actor bio, seeing what other movies they were in that you have, etc.

Media Browser
You can use MyMovies w/ mediabrowser if you want more control over your metadata and it creates a webiste for your etc.

But really all you need is Mediabrowser.

hey thanks for all the replys i got media browser and seems like i got it set up but some movies dont play is there a certain format that the file needs to be?

MediaBrowser has no effect on that. Its just an interface, not a player.

What kind of file is it? Run Mediainfo and post the results.

Format : Matroska
File size : 15.3 GiB
Duration : 2h 58mn
Overall bit rate : 12.3 Mbps
Writing application : x264.exe
Writing library : mkv2rls v1.3 (date: 2010 aug 28)

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=4, N=16
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 10.8 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.217
Stream size : 13.1 GiB (86%)
Writing library : x264 core 107 r1745 4785e8e
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.15 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=10782 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language : English

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.88 GiB (12%)
Title : English DTS

Text #1
ID : 3
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title : English Forced

Text #2
ID : 4
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title : English

What are you currently using to play movies? Try VLC or Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

I generally try to stay away from codec packs but others may disagree.

What are you currently using to play movies? Try VLC or Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

I generally try to stay away from codec packs but others may disagree.

can u use media browser and use a differnt player to play movies instead of windows media center

ok thanks every one for all your help i got it working!! next thing is how do i use different themes i followed the instructions and added a theme from the list but i dunno how to open media browser with the theme?

You may be thinking of Xbox Media Center (XBMC). With one of several interfaces available that show covers/rating/synopsis for both movies and TV.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just go to theme tab inside Setting in mediabrowser, and select the theme you want.

The configuration menu can be accessed from within Media Browser using the wrench (or spanner) icon.

+1 for XBMC.

It supports playing most video formats natively (including BluRay), handles digital audio very well, and includes scapers that will download cover art, synposis, ratings, etc. There is even an iPad app remote control.

--srengr

I run WMC. I have all my DVDs ripped to one of my HDDs via SLyFox and pull them into WMC with MyMovies. The cover art is all there along with the complete DVD menus, back cover art, and all the data associated with the movie. I think it parses data from Imdb.

Back