Movie Companies Want to Hold Search Engines Liable For Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many times has the entertainment industry in this country tried something like this? How many times have they failed? If you said "every time," you'd be right. Maybe Russia should take a lesson from Hollywood.

Producers of movies and TV shows in Russia say they want companies including Google, Yandex and Microsoft to wipe piracy from their search engines. The rightsholders want the companies to remove links to pirate sites from their search listings on demand, or face being held liable for third party infringement.

I personally want to hold Movie Companies liable for making shitty movies, reboots, and remakes, with talentless hack actors and writers, shot with incredibly large budgets that waste hundreds of millions if not several billion dollars per year all the while making movie theaters overcharge us for the sheer displeasure of having to sit through 15 minutes of commercials prior to the 15 minutes of trailers for yet more shitty movies, reboots, and remakes coming in the future to depress our spirits and our pockets just that much more.

Was going to take my wife to see Doctor Strange tomorrow because some of the local theaters here in Las Vegas (part of national theater chains, of course) offer discounts on Tuesdays for usually $5.50 per show all day. Of course the theaters that have such discounts don't have Doctor Strange playing at them at all and the other theaters want $8 to see the movie whereas if we went today it would be $9.25 so, not much savings at all. We'd end up sneaking snacks into the theater in her purse of something - there's a Walgreens across the street from the one theater we usually frequent that has "theater candy" in the boxes for like $1 each whereas the same exact candy in the theater would be $4.50+ so, the hell with that.

Theaters are dying and it's not really because of the pricing to be honest, it's because of other options and I don't mean piracy. When I was younger I was going to movies almost every weekend, now if I go to see a handful a year (I saw 4 last year in theaters, just 4 total) it's a small miracle. It's sad but that's how things go in today's fast paced societies, it's not always a positive thing.

Yes I realize the gist of the article is related to issues in Russia but even so... shitty movies aren't a worldwide phenomenon, how it goes. :D

240b9a7aeb813210f7b4dd74cfc5ecae_300x300.jpg

The rightsholders want the companies to remove links to pirate sites from their search listings on demand, or face being held liable for third party infringement.

Think it should really work in reverse. Rightsholders should remove links to pirate sites or face being held liable. (y)

IF I were google I would say because of certain programming/hardware/resource limitations blocking various links is beyond our control. Sorry I guess you're up Shit's creek on that one buddy.

Waste of time/money. These guys do what they can, but there's no way you're going to eliminate all of those links. Things change, but this is not likely to be one of them, unless there's a memo that shows that search engines have ways to remove these links and don't.

They probably have a better shot at going after YouTube.

The price is why I don't go to theatres. They seriously don't get economics.
The price is sort of the same as it always was, proportionally anyway to inflation. It's just that the movies almost always suck, the audience is noisy, there are too many trailers, no double features like we used to have, and NO CARTOONS IN BETWEEN THOSE SHOWS.

I try to go to the first show. There's usually no one else in the theater. But on the off chance it's the summer, or a school holiday, I'm screwed, because there's always a bunch of numb nutz in the theater making a racket. People today just can't seem to STFU.

I wish there was no piracy. Just to show these morons, that even less people would go see their shitty movies then.

Making a bunch of crappy movies and then blaming piracy because no one wanted to pay to see crap sounds like a good business model to me.

Stupidity.

Search engines should not be liable for anything they point to, and should never be required to remove anything.

This is like blaming the phone book because you might find a number in there that is being used for criminal purposes. Insanely stupid, and a perversion of both common sense and law.

And when it comes to Europe and their privacy laws, I agree with them that the right to be forgotten is a good thing, but it should fall on the SOURCE of the material, not the directory. A directory just indexes what is out there. If anyone is liable for privacy violations it should be the site that has it up for public browsing.

I hate it when people are willfully ignorant and blind. This type of stupidity needs to end.

The price is sort of the same as it always was, proportionally anyway to inflation.

What I've noticed since ~early 90's is that movies around me are typically about the rate of minimum wage. They were $3.50 a ticket in 90ish. $5 in 94ish. Around 9 bucks now (I'm in Oregon, we have a higher min wage). I'm good with that. 20 minutes of my time at work to pay to go to a movie. Not bad.

Gas to and from. Snacks. Food. Family of 4. Shitty movie (if I pay $60+ for a movie for the whole family, it's going to be a great one). It's just not worth it anymore. If I go by myself on the way home from work (no gas, no snacks, just myself...), it's worth it for a mediocre movie and even better with a great movie.

How many times has the entertainment industry in this country tried something like this? How many times have they failed? If you said "every time," you'd be right. Maybe Russia should take a lesson from Hollywood.

Producers of movies and TV shows in Russia say they want companies including Google, Yandex and Microsoft to wipe piracy from their search engines. The rightsholders want the companies to remove links to pirate sites from their search listings on demand, or face being held liable for third party infringement.

Yep! Just how the library is completely for murders and other bad things that people do from information gleamed from books :/

Burn em! Burn them all! We're about due now for a terrible remake of Fahrenheit 451 anyways, of course directed by non other than Michael Bay and scripted by those Bad Robot folks.

Back