Moved motherboard into a new case and now can only boot with 1 dimm

mannyman

2[H]4U
I moved my Mobo, Ram and Processor into a phantom case with a cx430 in it for my brother in law. Long story short it will only boot with one of the 4 sticks of ram in either of the number one slots, All sticks work in those slots and boot, Just not at the same time.

That is a pretty strange issue to arise just from moving the same mobo, ram, processor into a new case. Hopefully you didnt damage something in the process? I am not really sure what else would change just moving stuff to a new case.

Did you have to change anything in the bios at all or mess with anything? You might need to do some memory testing, I dont know.

Maybe someone else has an idea.

I just removed everything from the board and remounted the mobo and put everything back in the same way and no post. Im on it right now but with only one stick of ram in. Thanks for the input ill check out the sockets in close detail to see if its damaged.

I just removed everything from the board and remounted the mobo and put everything back in the same way and no post. Im on it right now but with only one stick of ram in. Thanks for the input ill check out the sockets in close detail to see if its damaged.

Yeah, you can but I mean, if you did, it might not necessarily be something you can see. And since it sounds like the dimms work individually in each socket, I dont know how a socket could be damaged if 1 stick still works in it.

Does it POST correctly when outside of the case?

Im not sure I didn't try it was working right before i pulled it, I booted it down pulled and placed in a short time, Ill try taking it out if nothing else works.

Yeah, you can but I mean, if you did, it might not necessarily be something you can see. And since it sounds like the dimms work individually in each socket, I dont know how a socket could be damaged if 1 stick still works in it.

Well its both number two sockets that don't work. sockets 2 and 4 don't work and i dont see anything in the bios out of place, also set it to defaults and still no progress.

Last edited:
OK so it will boot with sticks in one and three. slot 0 and 2 is what i mean.

Last edited:
Bump and uptade, I find that the computer won't post after being turned off and wont post again after I re-seat the processor. I take it that it may be my processor? I think that the processor has a mem controller on board right? Could this have shorted? Find out next time on.... :D Any help would be appreciated.

Bump and yes i took it out and used a tried and true PSU and it still gives me the same issue.

Also added a case speaker no beeps when it doesn't work the fans just kind of pulse. Seems like its reseting.

Last edited:
Bump, No one has any ideas/suggestions? Any would be appreciated i need to sell this board and ram so I can pick up a 2500k and board.

try clearing CMOS, then re-enter manufacturer suggested speed, timings and voltages for your specific RAM, might not hurt to update BIOS either, though you don't want to clear CMOC right after an update (it will brick your mobo)... try a different processor if you have one... Try different RAM if you have some...

you must isolate the source of the problem, the above trouble shooting should fix a BIOS issue and/or tell you if you somehow fried an entire memory channel... If other ram works, either your timings/voltages are incorrect, or the original ram isn't compatible... If another processor works, then somehow your processor's memory controller went bad...

If I had to guess, it sounds like another victim of ESD, but hopefully I'm wrong...

try clearing CMOS, then re-enter manufacturer suggested speed, timings and voltages for your specific RAM, might not hurt to update BIOS either, though you don't want to clear CMOC right after an update (it will brick your mobo)... try a different processor if you have one... Try different RAM if you have some...

you must isolate the source of the problem, the above trouble shooting should fix a BIOS issue and/or tell you if you somehow fried an entire memory channel... If other ram works, either your timings/voltages are incorrect, or the original ram isn't compatible... If another processor works, then somehow your processor's memory controller went bad...

If I had to guess, it sounds like another victim of ESD, but hopefully I'm wrong...

Its a good possibility ESD is the culprit, All sticks of ram work perfect in slots 0 and 2, Cleared the CMOS, Set everything to factory specs.

Nothing works, I have had problems with it before ill just see if i can RMA it again.

Are you positive that you are putting all the sticks in the their proper placement? For example, my AsRock X58 - If only using one stick I have to put it in Ram Slot A1, if using two I have to use A1 and B1, three I have to use A1 B1 C1, four I use A1A2 C1C2. At least I'm almost certain that's how it goes lol. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but point is make sure you are using your Motherboards proper Ram slots in accordance to number of sticks you are using at that time. Also, I believe Motherboards usually run off any slot with only one stick of ram. It's when you start putting two or more that you need to put it in their proper slot for the Motherboard to be able to boot and use them.

GREAT ADVICE in all of these posts...

I also recently made a move of equipment into another case - - had an issue as well...

For troubleshooting it's a process of elimination - - proving what works, step by step.

In my situation - to make it easy, AFTER I cleared the bios - I started with everything disconnected. I started with just the motherboard, processor, and the minimum of ram - and then went into the bios to see if everything was identified properly there, and working fine...

...then I moved forward piece by piece - checking each component added, one by one, in the bios again for proper identification/function...

...it's a lot of rebooting - - but not that big of a hassle because it's many steps before you get to the other hardware like video cards/hard drives/dvd etc

Are you positive that you are putting all the sticks in the their proper placement? For example, my AsRock X58 - If only using one stick I have to put it in Ram Slot A1, if using two I have to use A1 and B1, three I have to use A1 B1 C1, four I use A1A2 C1C2. At least I'm almost certain that's how it goes lol. Excuse me if I'm wrong, but point is make sure you are using your Motherboards proper Ram slots in accordance to number of sticks you are using at that time. Also, I believe Motherboards usually run off any slot with only one stick of ram. It's when you start putting two or more that you need to put it in their proper slot for the Motherboard to be able to boot and use them.

Lol I know what you are saying, Yes I put them in correctly it just didn't work

GREAT ADVICE in all of these posts...

I also recently made a move of equipment into another case - - had an issue as well...

For troubleshooting it's a process of elimination - - proving what works, step by step.

In my situation - to make it easy, AFTER I cleared the bios - I started with everything disconnected. I started with just the motherboard, processor, and the minimum of ram - and then went into the bios to see if everything was identified properly there, and working fine...

...then I moved forward piece by piece - checking each component added, one by one, in the bios again for proper identification/function...

...it's a lot of rebooting - - but not that big of a hassle because it's many steps before you get to the other hardware like video cards/hard drives/dvd etc

Well my mobo doens't have onboard so you have to use a gpu and put it on a test bench with the minimum stuff and it was still the same problem, But as of today it doesn't boot but now gives me the no ram beep code regardles of the stick of ram or slot.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice but its time to RMA it...

I've had this happen on two different rigs and had two different culprits. One was the psu the other was memory. Both after swapping case.

Back