Move h.264 from mkv to mp4

mryerse

2[H]4U
Have any of you have to move your h.264 videos from mkv to mp4? What tools are you using to do this? I tried using handbrake, but it seemed to be transcoding the video, which I'm not sure is necessary. With a q6600@3Ghz, I was getting about 10 fps for a 1080p stream. Seems slow to me.

If you dont need to transcode, try renaming the extension from .mkv to .mp4.
Alternatively, just tell the player to play the mkv.

To create an mkv from a Blu Ray disk takes me about 2 hours of messing about and 10 to 12 hours encoding, approx 5 fps. (E8400 @ 4.1GHz)
So 10fps for your CPU is about right.

Yeah, I'd like to just play the .mkv, but the player is the xbox 360 which doesn't support that container. Are you sure it needs to transcode? Isn't it h.264 to h.264, so more like a file copy with a little processing?

You are right the XBox 360 doesnt support the .mkv container.
You will either need to stream them as another format (ie mpeg2) to your 360 or re-encode them.

Okay, so it sounds like they do need to be re-encoded. Will I lose any quality when I do that?

Yes undoubtedly.
It may still be acceptable, give it a try.

Okay, so it sounds like they do need to be re-encoded. Will I lose any quality when I do that?

No, they do not need re-encoding. You can demux the MKV as the above post, then re-mux the Video/Audio files into a MP4. Demux/Remux should take a couple of minutes, depending on your harddrive size.

Its possible that you may have to reencode your audio as i dont believe the 360 supports 5.1channel sound in AAC (it didnt use to ), but this will be considerably quicker than re-encoding the whole file.

Any encoding that takes place will result in a lower quality than your source. Demux/Remux only changes the container and doesnt alter visual/audio quality.

Thanks. Yeah I read about the 360 not supporting 5.1. Right now it's not a problem since I don't have surround sound. I'll try leaving it 5.1 to see if it works cause the post in the forum that said it didn't work was from last spring. MS needs to get on the ball with their codecs and especially in the 360 media center. Maybe they are not adding it because then people will buy the hardware and not buy any games, and they'll lose money on the system.

Back