Move Exchange 2003 straight to new Exchange 2007 box?

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
As some of you know from here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1363355
I will be running the SBS Transition Pack to give me Standard components and drop SBS like a bad habit.

I've heard methods to do this, but they all relied on the current server to be the pointer over to the new server for Exchange.

I don't like this. If primary server ever goes down or has problems, I don't want this to affect all my old clients that connect in through it. I'd rather just have a completely standalone Exchange box: if DC goes down email still works, even if that means touching each client to re-configure.

So after the Transition Pack I would end up with Exchange 2003 on box A.
Is there a way I can install Exchange 2007 on box B, and just directly transfer it all over?
Or would it be much easier to just move 2003 to 2003, and then upgrade it once all the issues are smoothed out?

just use the "move mailbox wizard" in exchange 2007. It will, quite literally, move user mailboxes from one server to the other and you won't have to touch the clients at all. pretty simple.

just use the "move mailbox wizard" in exchange 2007. It will, quite literally, move user mailboxes from one server to the other and you won't have to touch the clients at all. pretty simple.

Yup..great tool...does the mailboxes in a minute or so....a few minutes if the users mailbox is MASSIVE.

From my experience, users of newer versions of Outlook will be rather seamless. But I found older Outlook users (like 2K)...sometimes Outlook needed one or two jump starts.

Yup..great tool...does the mailboxes in a minute or so....a few minutes if the users mailbox is MASSIVE.

From my experience, users of newer versions of Outlook will be rather seamless. But I found older Outlook users (like 2K)...sometimes Outlook needed one or two jump starts.

I would deploy outlook 2007 if you can. There are several benifits of Outlook 2007/E2007. Sunch as being able to auto discover the exchange server. Using the CAS server for free/busy instead of the 15/min update to pf. Just to name a few.

Does that copy their rules and such as well?
Does look pretty simple. Assuming it copies the rules, the only step is pointing Outlook to the new server?

I would deploy outlook 2007 if you can. There are several benifits of Outlook 2007/E2007. Sunch as being able to auto discover the exchange server. Using the CAS server for free/busy instead of the 15/min update to pf. Just to name a few.
Probably 3/4 are 2007. Haven't had a need to really upgrade everyone, for the purposes we use it for, there are just no features to warrant a 100% upgrade to 2007, just as I buy them new.

Just FWIW, I can touch each client if I have to. I don't want to leave Exchange dependant upon my current DC at all, even if it is just a pointer to the new one. How can I do this?

Yeah most were...just in this case, some older PCs where I didn't feel like suffering for 2 hours doing an O2K7 upgrade and all the updates/service packs...sometimes you just have to do with what the client has....not my choice, but...

Yeah most were...just in this case, some older PCs where I didn't feel like suffering for 2 hours doing an O2K7 upgrade and all the updates/service packs...sometimes you just have to do with what the client has....not my choice, but...

For an upgrade to E2007 I would say ok. But for a new deployment I would do the outlook 2007 because i wouldn't want to have to create a PF store just for free\busy. I would try to avoid putting new users on PF's.

For an upgrade to E2007 I would say ok. But for a new deployment I would do the outlook 2007 because i wouldn't want to have to create a PF store just for free\busy. I would try to avoid putting new users on PF's.

Yeah have about 3/4 of this particular clients network replaced. They run on donated workstations from Electic Boat (General Dynamics division for subs), and Pfizers. Each time a bunch come in, I image them with the latest from their eOpen licensing. But for the Exchange upgrade...I'm not going to spend the time upgrading some of the remaining old P3 workstations with just 256 megs of RAM to Office 2K7..or even Outlook...since hopefully within the next 6 months those PCs will get discarded anyways with swaps to newer P4 512/1024 meg replacements. I do approx 10 hours/month there on a fixed monthly support rate.....the time to upgrade those when they'll get tossed isn't worth it. Only about 6 of those old users left, out of a network of approx 45.

Ever try to upgrade a P3 866 w/256 megs with Office 2K7? Then service pack Office and the other updates I have sitting in WSUS? Yeeeesh...it's like mowing your lawn with the wifes cuticle scissors.

Yeah have about 3/4 of this particular clients network replaced. They run on donated workstations from Electic Boat (General Dynamics division for subs), and Pfizers. Each time a bunch come in, I image them with the latest from their eOpen licensing. But for the Exchange upgrade...I'm not going to spend the time upgrading some of the remaining old P3 workstations with just 256 megs of RAM to Office 2K7..or even Outlook...since hopefully within the next 6 months those PCs will get discarded anyways with swaps to newer P4 512/1024 meg replacements. I do approx 10 hours/month there on a fixed monthly support rate.....the time to upgrade those when they'll get tossed isn't worth it. Only about 6 of those old users left, out of a network of approx 45.

Ever try to upgrade a P3 866 w/256 megs with Office 2K7? Then service pack Office and the other updates I have sitting in WSUS? Yeeeesh...it's like mowing your lawn with the wifes cuticle scissors.

P3 users would be using webmail on exchange 2007. lol I hope you don't have cached mode turned on on those users =)

P3 users would be using webmail on exchange 2007.

Hah....you want to hold their hand for weeks on end with countless "How do I do ___ in webmail?" questions? They'll be fine for a few months. I don't recall cached mode in Outlook 2000...didn't that come with 2K3? Actually thinking back..it's Office XP (2002) they have..not 2000.

Back