Mouse woes - Logitech G500 double click & RMA

mda

2[H]4U
Recently, I've been getting intermittent double left mouse clicks on this Logitech G500.

It's merely annoying while doing regular browsing, but with any sort of gaming it gets extremely frustrating.

I've submitted a ticket to Logitech support and they've directed me to a local service center, where they'll first test the unit before issuing a replacement. Herein lies my problem. Unlike in the US where RMAs are easy, getting an RMA here in my country is a big hit or miss. Some distributors will readily stand by their warranty (which how I choose brands locally), but others find any way out to get around the warranty and basically force you to get new stuff even when the stuff you bought breaks within the warranty period.

Is there anyone more knowledgeable about these mice double click issues so I can find a way to more easily replicate this issue in front of their techs? So far, the issue is almost wildly intermittent. There are some evenings I only get a few noticeable double clicks whereas some others, the double clicking makes me want to throw the mouse to the wall.

This seems to be a pretty common issue based on a quick search.

I found on mine that on the edge it was catching and end up cleaning it once or twice a year.Specifically the part near the DPI selector. After cleaning that area everything is fine.

Thanks. Will try to clean mine there a little later.

Hopefully it fixes it and sets me up for a little more observation.

I'm trying to not go through the hassle of a possible RMA because this mouse is otherwise great, but when I do, I don't want any fuss with the distributor because they are unable to replicate the issue.

Last edited:
Logitech has great customer service and replacement policy too, nothing but good times with them

It is a common issue and it's happened to me within a month of use on my new G500. Both right and left click were acting intermittently.

This youtube video documents the problem and the fix pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWJk4EWfyOA

I called Logitech warranty service. If you tell them you troubleshooted it in that you tried a second USB port, a separate computer, and reinstalled drivers (and you encountered the issue still in each case), they should immediately send you a new one (at least that was my experience) as it's a hardware issue. Took me two weeks to get my replacement in the mail, didn't have to mail back my old one.

That being said I also repaired my dysfunctional mouse using rectangles cut from an anti-static bag superglued on top of the button switches.

I really got the feeling that they deal with a lot of warranty claims on these for this problem, and that is why they gave me minimal hassle about it.

This problem supposedly is more prevalent when it is used in dry environments due to the static discharge issue.

To be honest I would buy a different mouse. I cannot recommend the G500 anymore, even non-gamers would dislike using the mouse with the way it behaved on me.

Logitech has great customer service and replacement policy too, nothing but good times with them

It is a common issue and it's happened to me within a month of use on my new G500. Both right and left click were acting intermittently.

This youtube video documents the problem and the fix pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWJk4EWfyOA

I called Logitech warranty service. If you tell them you troubleshooted it in that you tried a second USB port, a separate computer, and reinstalled drivers (and you encountered the issue still in each case), they should immediately send you a new one (at least that was my experience) as it's a hardware issue. Took me two weeks to get my replacement in the mail, didn't have to mail back my old one.

That being said I also repaired my dysfunctional mouse using rectangles cut from an anti-static bag superglued on top of the button switches.

I really got the feeling that they deal with a lot of warranty claims on these for this problem, and that is why they gave me minimal hassle about it.

This problem supposedly is more prevalent when it is used in dry environments due to the static discharge issue.

To be honest I would buy a different mouse. I cannot recommend the G500 anymore, even non-gamers would dislike using the mouse with the way it behaved on me.

Thanks. Last night all went fine with the mouse after some cleaning, then right before my evening session ended, 2-3 double clicks in quick succession.

Unfortunately I think at this pace, the mouse will not be repaired if I take it to a service center at this point.

They'll take a couple of clicks, find that it still works and return it to me as is :/

I wish RMAs were as easy as in the USA.

This is just after less than 2 years of the 3 year warranty stated on the box.

Ok so I had this same exact issue with a G7. The problem is the little spring inside there is like a leaf spring on a truck, it is curved and after time it flattens out allowing for double clicking to occur. The way you fix this issue (mine lasted for about another year YMMV) is to take the mouse apart, get the spring out and recurve the spring. It isn't that hard, just need to have steady hands to hold the spring while curving it and not bending the rest of it. I am pretty sure the spring the G500 is the same as in the G7. Give that a try if you want.

EDIT: Btw those little springs are inside the little black boxes with the white clicker on either side of the mouse wheel.

Interesting. Very Interesting.

Local Logitech distributors are giving me the runaround.

Shop refuses to take the mouse back, even if only to return to the distributor.

Distributor in question does not accept end-user RMA. Other distributors available/accepts end-user RMA but will only help out if item was distributed through them.

Ok so I had this same exact issue with a G7. The problem is the little spring inside there is like a leaf spring on a truck, it is curved and after time it flattens out allowing for double clicking to occur. The way you fix this issue (mine lasted for about another year YMMV) is to take the mouse apart, get the spring out and recurve the spring. It isn't that hard, just need to have steady hands to hold the spring while curving it and not bending the rest of it. I am pretty sure the spring the G500 is the same as in the G7. Give that a try if you want.

EDIT: Btw those little springs are inside the little black boxes with the white clicker on either side of the mouse wheel.

Thanks, I guess I'll try this when the mouse starts dying and if Logitech won't take it back.

There's a "3 year warranty" on the box. Doesn't seem like it matters to the local distributors/stores.

Updated Logitech with this issue. Let's see what happens.

Maybe next time, I'll have more luck with Razer mice.

Last edited:
Ok so I had this same exact issue with a G7. The problem is the little spring inside there is like a leaf spring on a truck, it is curved and after time it flattens out allowing for double clicking to occur.

I've been in my G500 numerous times and can't recall this spring you're talking about. Do you mean the spring directly inside the microswitch? If so my personal opinion is that you should just replace the microswitch altogether. Can probably get an exact replacement from Digikey.

mda said:
There's a "3 year warranty" on the box. Doesn't seem like it matters to the local distributors/stores.

Updated Logitech with this issue. Let's see what happens.

So are they going to send you a new mouse? What did they say when you updated them? They shouldn't need your whole saga of attempting returns with various shops. The mouse is defective, it's a hardware issue, you'd like a new one under warranty.

I am not surprised that stores who did not provide the warranty do not honor said warranty. I called the Logitech warranty service number on the literature that came with my mouse.

If you have to return something, I wouldn't even bother with local distributors or small shops, they will just give you the runaround. In general I buy from Amazon and return to them or go directly to manufacturer. Big name companies like that will have the time and resources to eat a few dollars here and there to keep a customer coming back.

mda said:
Maybe next time, I'll have more luck with Razer mice.

Sadly this is likely my last Logitech mouse. Even if the G500 were fully functional it is still not as good as my previous old G5.

The black box with the white clicker on either side of the mouse. Not sure if those are the microswitches you are talking about, if so then yes. I guess you could replace them, I just recurved my spring in my G7 when I had this issue.

So are they going to send you a new mouse? What did they say when you updated them? They shouldn't need your whole saga of attempting returns with various shops. The mouse is defective, it's a hardware issue, you'd like a new one under warranty.

No word yet. I'm about 36 hours without a reply.

I am not surprised that stores who did not provide the warranty do not honor said warranty. I called the Logitech warranty service number on the literature that came with my mouse.

If you have to return something, I wouldn't even bother with local distributors or small shops, they will just give you the runaround. In general I buy from Amazon and return to them or go directly to manufacturer. Big name companies like that will have the time and resources to eat a few dollars here and there to keep a customer coming back.

The issue here is that Logitech does not operate in my country per se. They operate via a network of distributors who sell and accept returns on Logitech's behalf. Logitech themselves pointed me to these distributors for a possible RMA/repair.

Sadly this is likely my last Logitech mouse. Even if the G500 were fully functional it is still not as good as my previous old G5.

Let's see. I'm otherwise happy with my G500, with this return issue aside of course.

Last edited:
For some reason I've been having really bad luck with Logitech mice the last few years. I've gone through quite a few G5 and G500 mice because the left button starts acting up after a few months.

If the issue is recent enough and I can find my receipt, I don't have much trouble with Logitech. However sometimes I can't find the receipt and now I have a $60 paper weight. I need to get into the habit of framing and hanging my Logitech mouse reciepts on a wall because I know I'll need it a few months later.

Are there any alternative mice that have the same feel as the G5 and G500 but not made by Logitech and don't fall apart so quickly? Love how the mouse feels, hate Logitech's quality and annoying RMA process.

I really like my G500 but I also had the same issue after about a 18 months living in New Mexico (really dry). I'm on my 2nd G500 now but its going strong still. I have a 3rd I picked up on sale for pretty cheap off Amazon just sitting in the closet. I think once I use that 3rd one up I'll look for a new mouse.

@RedTalon19 - It can get quite humid around here so I guess we can deduce it's not really the weather causing this. Something's just wrong with the mouse switches :eek:

Reviews claim that the G500s has decent mouse switches - but is this really the case?

EDIT:

Well looks like they're sending me a new mouse.

Last edited:
Back